Eau Sauvage Extrême (1982)
by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage Extrême information

Year of Launch1982

HouseChristian Dior
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchMoet Hennessy

About Eau Sauvage Extrême

Eau Sauvage Extrême is a masculine fragrance by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 1982

Eau Sauvage Extrême fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau Sauvage Extrême

The Extreme flanker to Dior Eau Sauvage is, to me, an uninteresting departure from the classic original. Extreme deviates toward a smell of more alcohol, and almost more of a deep aquatic smell as well. It certainly doesn't seem to be hyped due to the more recent release of Parfum, but I'd argue that it merits less attention that the original, and now that seems to be appropriately what it receives. It doesn't seem to exceed the original in any respect of its scent. Fresher? Perhaps. More alcohol and strength? Definitely. Wearable? Sure. But a scent worth owning in a world where the original exists? Doubtfully.

Its use of lavender is not as prominent as in the original--Extreme is less of a spicy fougere than a spicy fresh alcohol type of scent. The lavender still brings a freshness with the citrus, but it's not there nearly enough to keep it interesting. It's a nice scent but I'm simply blase toward it after sampling the original this morning.

Like the original, Extreme's performance (an "intense EDT") leaves something to be desired, though it is arguably slightly more robust in terms of performance. I'm unimpressed, though, especially given the higher price points (citing FragranceNet) of $52 for 50ml and $77 for 100ml. A good scent but it's not an addition to the original, just an odd departure.

7 out of 10
24th May, 2016
Salutation.

EAU SAUVAGE EXTREME?Not only this one but also i always recommend DIOR fragrances to anyone who wants only the best because this great designer always does exceptional on all of their scents.ESE is a must have for all Gentleman and after all these years still contemporary.this EDT never go out of style however usually for me original version are more memorable and surpriser than next versions.

Versatile,Spontaneous,Excitement,Elegant,Classy,Fresh, Citrusy and Superior scent.ESE is a new tale of refinement,re-interpreting citrus and wood notes to depict a quiet evening bathed in the emerging twilight:a stroll under a just starring Mediterranean sky,where lemon groves waft their fresh aroma from a distance and aromatic herbs are crushed underfoot.

The notes are real nice for this fragrance.the scent ignites the senses with top notes of lemon,bergamot, basil and lavender,heart notes of coriander,bay leaf, sandalwood and aldehydes and a base of oakmoss, cedar,patchouli and musk that makes it exceedingly sophisticated and long lasting.Great for any occasion,business or pleasure.for those that want a richer feel to EAU SAUVAGE then this will suit them well.

Sillage?Very Good.

Longevity?Better than original version.

7.75/10
22nd April, 2015
Eau Sauvage Extreme opens with a pleasant whiff of subtle and quite sweetened citrus with minty herbs on lavender and woods – a woody accord that smells quite warm and almost ambery, with a darker shade of mossy patchouli. Somehow sharp and peppery too, overall honestly not that distant from many other fresh woody-mossy colognes. Take away all the refined warmth of original Eau Sauvage and add some herbal-mossy stuff... I don’t get the “extreme” though, and I don’t see the point of this version since it smells like a cheaper Eau Sauvage, but it smells decent. Nice try!

6,5/10
23rd March, 2015
I don't know why many people here keep bashing this fragrance while I believe it's a nice fresh, oriental and aromatic fragrance that is a very good choice for spring and fall.
I didn't have the opportunity to test the original Eau Sauvage and I can't compare them to each other but this fragrance by itself is a quality and well made fragrance and I like it.
The opening is a nice fresh, slightly bitter and juicy lemony scent with some sweetness from tonka bean (or maybe benzoin) and some bitter aromatic herbal notes in the background.
The quality of the notes is really good and the overall smell even though it's not something new, is pleasant and inoffensive.
As time passes by I'm getting less citruses and more bitter green herbal notes plus a little more sweetness.
The sweetness doesn't smell like vanilla or musk. it's kind of a slightly woody and bitter sweet smell that we usually get from tonka bean.
This can be someones signature scent easily but you should be more careful in the summer and you have to spray less or it can get cloying a little bit.
Projection is above average and longevity is around 5-7 hours.
16th July, 2014
Typical '80s formulation but not typical strength.

I notice some similarities between Extreme and original Eau Sauvage… I would say that to me the first 1 and ½ seconds of the citrus opening smells similar to classic Eau Sauvage, but the main similarity that I experience is in the drydown.

The opening in the ESX is more complex than in ES... that means that the classically pure signature ES citrus opening has been polluted (in a sense) with other notes. The lavender has been mentioned as the primary "pollutant," but for me a more prominent addition is the basil. And if we check out the date of the introduction of ESX we find that basil was an almost obligatory note for the opening of a ‘80s fragrance. The total of the opening notes give a somewhat blender-effect. I can identify citrus and basil but I can’t separate out any other note from the blend.

From the middle level I get another blended accord. This time I the jasmine, bay leaf, and sandalwood in the mix – but the other mid-level notes are too well blended. It’s a good accord but it is ‘80s generic.

The base completes the path already begun with ESX. It is nicely blended and a little sharp because the cedar seems to stand out. It is very reticent but I find it quite long lasting as a skin scent… About twenty – thirty minutes into the base, I believe that I’m smelling something somewhat similar to the base of the original ES.

I rather like ESX, but in the end, I guess I have to say that it is a bit blah and unfulfilling. My review is from a very new bottle and I don’t know how many reformulations this scent has gone through to get to where it is the product I am reviewing… I wonder if it matters…

Pros: Nicely constructed, non offensive.
Cons: Rather too ordinary."

26th September, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
A lemony-rosemary opening in which I get only a hint of lavender. A galbanum-rich drydown is added, but on my skin the citrus freshness is sustained for quite a long time. A touch of green notes with some wood are added. Very well blended and initially decent silage and projection, but after an hour close to my skin. Total longevity is over three hours. It is my favourite ES flanker, but has very little in common with the original. Clever marketing of a scent that has merit in its own right.
08th May, 2013

Add your review of Eau Sauvage Extrême

Shop for Eau Sauvage Extrême products online

Member images of Eau Sauvage Extrême

There are no member images of Eau Sauvage Extrême yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Eau Sauvage Extrême