Égoïste / L'Égoïste (1990)
by Chanel

Égoïste / L'Égoïste information

Year of Launch1990

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Égoïste / L'Égoïste

Launched in 1990. A woody, spicy fragrance with a vanilla and sandalwood drydown.The fragrance was originally launched in the USA as a limited edition called 'Bois Noir' in 1987.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste

My immediate impression is that this smells just like Christmas, with notes of plum pudding, spices & woods. Slowly it dries down to a spiced sandalwood, perhaps less sweet than in Bois des Isles, definitely more spicy, & more on the masculine side. It projects & lasts well, still going after more than twelve hours.
I tried this on a hot day & it felt entirely out of place for me, but I could see myself really enjoying it in winter.
30th May, 2017
Egoïste is a deeply burgundy-red scent: stewed plums with a dusting of spice, a pane of medieval garnet stained glass, polished macassar ebony. Definitely one for a man or a woman. I prefer this to Bois des Iles, which is a lighter cola.
13th April, 2017
A classic. Cinnamon, wood and a bit of smoke. Very crisp and long lasting. Not complex, but it works. As I am over gourmands (I don't want to wear food anymore, sorry A-Men flankers), I am grateful that Egoiste's cinnamon and vanilla do not overtake the fragrance and let it remain cologne, as opposed to a confection. My wife is stingy with compliments in regard to fragrances. I own too many for her to take notice anymore. But, she mentions her approval when I take Egoiste out for a spin. It's in my top ten of all time fragrances. I have had it for years and hope Chanel never tampers with it. Indeed, Egoiste was my first Chanel fragrance and one of the fragrances that began a life-long love of perfume.
01st January, 2017
What beautiful fragrance, it once was.

Now - nothing more than - a watered down version of what Egoiste is supposed to be.

Very, very disappointed in Chanel because of these 'tricks'.

For lovers, get yourself an older version on E-bay.
22nd December, 2016
I have a 10ml bottle of the cologne, and boy is it ever fantastic, an herbal-y oriental with a punch of citrus up front and a creamy mix of sandalwood and vanilla at the back. In between, the dance of dusty rose, abstract herbs, pencil shavings, and cinnamon is assertive enough to keep you enveloped in scent for most of the day without getting you banished from the office or elevator.

I’m not being disingenuous when I call Egoiste one of the world’s great masculines (after all, it’s been marketed exclusively to men), but women who overlook it because of that are missing out on what is also one of the world’s great perfumes, period.
25th November, 2016 (last edited: 02nd December, 2016)
Benchmark slightly spicy, slightly sweet-fizzy, slightly creamy sandalwood, everything coming together to form a roughly oriental masculine.

In fact, I don't find it that masculine, and after my sample wearing I'm in two minds: but these are buy / not buy, rather than good / bad. Egoiste provides the usual Chanel sense of high quality and the trail is gorgeous. An up-close sniff of myself, not quite so much.

A definite thumbs up.