Égoïste / L'Égoïste (1990)
by Chanel

Égoïste / L'Égoïste information

Year of Launch1990

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Égoïste / L'Égoïste

Launched in 1990. A woody, spicy fragrance with a vanilla and sandalwood drydown.The fragrance was originally launched in the USA as a limited edition called 'Bois Noir' in 1987.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste

Spicy woods.

Egoiste is all about light, subtle woods, primarily an accord of sandalwood tempered finely with spices and florals. Rose is there, an abstract presence that brightens up the composition, while cinnamon and coriander accentuate the sandalwood. There's a delightful touch of dry vanilla in the base.

Egoiste, for all its charm and beauty, is somewhat fleeting on my skin, and sits close to skin throughout its lifespan. Sillage is close, but lovely. I find the current version to have a vague musky aspect (perhaps ambrette seed), while another version I'm familiar with (from the early 2000s) is brighter, more sparkling and has a greater emphasis on the woods. The earlier version isn't richer or deeper, but does last a tad longer.

Egoiste, especially if one looks past potential issues with sillage and duration, is one of the most charming perfumes out on the market. It is also often a reference for sandalwood. However, one might find Tam Dao EdP, Samsara EdP (preferably an earlier bottle), or even Bois des Iles to be more useful if specifically seeking a sandalwood. Tam Dao and Bois des Iles are more focussed, while Samsara is more opulent.

It's notable that Carven Homme (1999) and Gucci's Envy for Men (1998) are quite related to Egoiste in terms of composition. While Envy for Men (with a terrific ginger note) is more exotic and oriental, Carven Homme successfully bridges the two styles and is mandatory sampling for anyone interested in Egoiste.

It's best to approach Egoiste (or any perfume, for that matter) with an open mind. Just don't expect a big perfume, but maybe you can expect something beautiful.

16th January, 2018
I can't believe i've discovered Égoïste so late, it's been there quietly waiting for me ever since 1990, i could have been wearing it at school if i'd only known to ask for it! Probably would have been told that it was too expensive mind you!

I only wish i'd been able to meet the pre-reformulation incarnation because if it was even better than the current bottle i have i would be in absolute heaven! My only complaint - and it seems to sadly be a complaint with nearly every perfume i love these days - is that it could do with lasting just that few hours longer or projecting just a wee tad stronger because it's a scent i would love others to be able to notice on me, vain as that sounds.
As soon as i first smelled it, it felt like an old familiar friend, perhaps i'd smelt it before, long ago, and it also smelt very me and i instantly knew that this was a fragrance i would always love from then onwards. I guess we all know what we like don't we?!
It has that warmth and that woodsy, leathery spiciness that i've read about in other reviews but the other aspect of it that fascinates me is that it manages to do all of that but it also has this delicious freshness to it as well. Like the crisp air of a winters morning with the promise of a roaring wood fire waiting for you in the sitting room. And these different aspects of it make me feel that it is something i'll be happy to wear all year around. i've only owned it in the autumn so far but it's not heavy or thick in a way that would put you off wearing it on a summer's evening either.
It has a subtle sweetness to it and that it exactly the kind of sweetness i love in masculine-style perfumes. It's there but it doesn't dominate or make you want to puke. It's all so tastefully balanced and has quite a refined feeling to it and it smells like someone i'd want to fall in love with! With some perfumes you don't have to read what other people think to know that it's a classic, the fragrance tells you that all by itself.
Oh Égoïste where have you been all my life? Well i tell you what; it was worth the wait!
14th November, 2017
"Clarity!" she mused,
Holding the red rose aloft,
"Yet rich with wood's spice."
12th September, 2017
a nice Effervescent citrus that quickly takes on a vanilla note without being sweet. Coriander is a subtle spice, but I can smell it in this fragrance. A bit of a more spicy dry-down somehow I smell a peachy vanilla note
26th July, 2017
My immediate impression is that this smells just like Christmas, with notes of plum pudding, spices & woods. Slowly it dries down to a spiced sandalwood, perhaps less sweet than in Bois des Isles, definitely more spicy, & more on the masculine side. It projects & lasts well, still going after more than twelve hours.
I tried this on a hot day & it felt entirely out of place for me, but I could see myself really enjoying it in winter.
30th May, 2017
Egoïste is a deeply burgundy-red scent: stewed plums with a dusting of spice, a pane of medieval garnet stained glass, polished macassar ebony. Definitely one for a man or a woman. I prefer this to Bois des Iles, which is a lighter cola.
13th April, 2017