Égoïste / L'Égoïste (1990)
by Chanel

Égoïste / L'Égoïste information

Year of Launch1990

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Égoïste / L'Égoïste

Launched in 1990. A woody, spicy fragrance with a vanilla and sandalwood drydown.The fragrance was originally launched in the USA as a limited edition called 'Bois Noir' in 1987.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Égoïste / L'Égoïste

One of my all-time favourites. Was inspired to buy it back in the 90s through the iconic TV advert, and I didn't regret it. It's in there with Eau Sauvage and Gentleman, when I want a classic nostalgic hit. The reissue 'Platinum' pales in comparison - the original, like so many things in life, is always the best.
09th June, 2019
Sharp, tangy top notes. Very tart tangerine. A very interesting heart with its spicy rose. Not too masculine, that I would think this was unisex. The rose here, is divine. Kind of dark - not sweetened at all. The base is well-balanced; just the perfect mix of sandalwood, vanilla, and ambrette, and the rose is still hovering about. Later, the rose fades, leaving a base that seems now, more masculine. A great Chanel!
07th January, 2019
A flat-out classic. A verified and sworn in member of the men’s fragrance hall of fame pantheon. Along with Fahrenheit, Rive Gauche, Terre d’Hermes, and Dior Homme, there is Egoiste. Without a doubt this is one of the best smelling, most refined and elegant woody orientals for men. It is eons beyond anything you typically find on mall fragrance counters today and hearkens back to a time when creativity and distinction meant something. It’s hard for newbies who’ve come up in the 2000’s to get this one and love it at first sniff. They don’t understand it. It has smells and an aura that houses are no longer producing. That’s okay. It took me about 8 years to come back to this, and today I can fully recognize it for the marvel that it is. But 10 years ago, when all I wore and owned was a bottle of Lacoste Essential and AdG, Egoiste beat the crap out of me. I was way out of my league and I wasn’t ready for it. I thought I was slick writing it off as “weird” and “old fashioned.” I was an idiot, naive with crude and limited taste. Few fragrances truly deserve to be called a masterpiece, Egoiste is one of them.
15th December, 2018
This has become my very favorite fragrance and in the past I have preferred classic English traditional fragrances which are still part of my fragrance wardrobe and always will be. Égoïste is a perfect sandalwood fragrance to me and that is why I love it. It is more complex than just Sandalwood, Rose is a significant component too. It is long lasting and the sillage is just right. Opus 1870 is similar, but it has it own distinct charms. I am enjoying Sandalwood so much that I use Égoïste EDT with the deodorant in the morning and I keep Opus 1870 and Trumper's Sandalwood deodorant in my gym bag for after my mid-day workout. If you like Rose and Sandalwood you will love this one.
26th May, 2018
10is Show all reviews
Absolutely gorgeous! This is the fragrance that got me into this hobby and it was love at first sniff. It starts off with a spicy, peppery blast with a soft rose backbone. The scent develops into a warmer scent, with the beautiful blend of the sandalwood, saffron, and rose (think creamy and lush). There's a bit of a transparent feel throughout the drydown, but this isn't a bad thing - it's clean while being a little dirty and not overly heavy.

1 Word Summary: Masterpiece!

Rating: 10/10
01st May, 2018 (last edited: 02nd May, 2018)
I'm probably going to get shot for saying this but I hate Egoiste.

That doesn't mean that I don't respect the fan base it has or that I consider it to be poorly made. I just hate the smell of it. All I get is cheap vanilla air freshener, plastic, unwashed spice rack and god knows what else.

Sorry but just not for me!
30th April, 2018