English Fern (1911)

Year of Launch1911

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About English Fern

English Fern is a shared / unisex perfume by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 1911

English Fern fragrance notes

Reviews of English Fern

Lovely fresh scent with the grassy and soapy notes sticking out for me. One for every day and work use. I tend to wear for my own pleasure, my wife considers this one acceptable with a subtly pleasant dry down. As she is a very fussy Russian lady I take that as a positive.
14th January, 2017
English Fern opens with a fresh, soapy aspect that's got green notes around the edges. It's very refreshing in my opinion, and I'm enjoying it immensely. With that said, I've realized that Creed cloned Penhaligon's 1911 creation English Fern when they created Cypres Musc, I'm astonished at how much Cypres Musc reminds me of English Fern. Obviously, Cypres Musc is not an exact replica of EF, but it's a direct ancestor as far as I'm concerned. The biggest different for me is that CM is nuclear in strength, longevity and sillage. It's a bit too heavy for me and tends to burn out my senses before the end of the day. English Fern on the other hand sits very nicely on the skin. The sillage could be a little more pronounced, but it's very tasteful and enjoyable. Such a clean, fresh smelling fragrance. I will keep this in my rotation for many years to come. I love finding frags that were created so many years ago that are still so enjoyable all these years later. Bravo, Penhaligons!
04th December, 2016
An extremely sharp and astringent scent that showcases, to my nose, lavender, geranium, moss, and perhaps some form of citrus. It is not particularly pleasant and would not be so other than in the form of some cleaning product. As many have said already in reviews of EF, there are just so many better things out there in the vaguely fougere / green department.

Now please excuse me, it's making my eyes water.
18th May, 2016
Wearing English Fern for the first time today. 30 minutes past the initial application and I still see no significant evolution. At this point I could not make any difference between EF & Puig's Agua Lavanda. All that I can detect is lavender (not particularly of a refined variety), sharp geranium leaf and some moss lurking underneath.

I'll be updating my review is case something changes but based on this first impression I think that my 25.5 oz bottle of Agua Lavanda can do precisely the same job for significantly less money.
03rd March, 2016 (last edited: 07th March, 2016)
I tried this in a sample originally - and can only concluded that time and treatment had worn off the top notes.

There's a reasonable scent under there somewhere. The problem is that the top note - and its a really nasty chemical top note - persists.

I tried wearing it overnight - to see if the top note wears off - it does, but settles into a really grubby dusty smell.
22nd January, 2016
Misunderstood geranium leaf bomb.

This opens with a harsh pine disinfectant smell that feels synthetic. However, that synthetic green minty smell is actually the geranium leaf note, which is used in abundance but mostly burns off after 20-30 minutes. What is left is a nice fougere with a minty background worthy of a thumbs up. However, those first few minutes are hard to forgive, so it is a neutral from me.
18th November, 2015

Add your review of English Fern

Shop for English Fern products online

Shop for English Fern at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for English Fern

Member images of English Fern

There are no member images of English Fern yet. Why not be the first?