English Fern (1911)

Year of Launch1911

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About English Fern

English Fern is a shared / unisex perfume by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 1911

English Fern fragrance notes

Reviews of English Fern

Wearing English Fern for the first time today. 30 minutes past the initial application and I still see no significant evolution. At this point I could not make any difference between EF & Puig's Agua Lavanda. All that I can detect is lavender (not particularly of a refined variety), sharp geranium leaf and some moss lurking underneath.

I'll be updating my review is case something changes but based on this first impression I think that my 25.5 oz bottle of Agua Lavanda can do precisely the same job for significantly less money.
03rd March, 2016 (last edited: 07th March, 2016)
I tried this in a sample originally - and can only concluded that time and treatment had worn off the top notes.

There's a reasonable scent under there somewhere. The problem is that the top note - and its a really nasty chemical top note - persists.

I tried wearing it overnight - to see if the top note wears off - it does, but settles into a really grubby dusty smell.
22nd January, 2016
Misunderstood geranium leaf bomb.

This opens with a harsh pine disinfectant smell that feels synthetic. However, that synthetic green minty smell is actually the geranium leaf note, which is used in abundance but mostly burns off after 20-30 minutes. What is left is a nice fougere with a minty background worthy of a thumbs up. However, those first few minutes are hard to forgive, so it is a neutral from me.
18th November, 2015
In about 1990, newly arrived in London (I moved back North again years later), a friend took me into the Penhaligons shop and offered to buy me any fragrance I liked. I didn't try any of them (duh...) but went for this one as I've always been attracted to green, mossy, herby scents (I wore Grey Flannel at the time and still do now). All I can say is that I found this really unpleasant, harsh and bitter. I later read a review once where someone described it as the poisonous, Victorian, rank potion that Dr Jekyll took before he turned into Mr Hyde, and that sums up how I remember it. The memory has lasted 25 years, and not in a good way.

I'm an amateur, so I feel a bit uncomfortable about writing negative reviews, but my opinion on this stands. for me, it was awful. Sorry....

Jun
2015
25th June, 2015
Genre: Fougère

English Fern introduces itself with a burst of spices and lavender, sweetened by fruit notes that I cannot identify. The lavender soon begins to recede, leaving room for a very distinct licorice/anise note and some barbershop soap to blend with the remaining brisk spices. English Fern settles into a conventional spicy “absinthe” tinted fougère, not far removed from the grand old Crown Fougère, but less complex and less nuanced. The scent remains linear for most of its duration, before fading into a sweet vanillic woody drydown. This is a very pleasant, conservative fougère – the kind of scent that one can wear to the office or to dinner with no fear of offending anybody. In this respect it strikes me as distinctly “English,” which is to say that it is proper, refined, and elegantly traditional. It may not be exciting, but it’s a solid representative of its type, and highly versatile to boot.
13th June, 2014
Starts off with a really sharp fern scent; just a lot of green. Then it moves down into a very soapy plastic smell, while retaining it's greenness. Once it all settles down, it smells like Pinaud Clubman talc powder. Very dry and old fashioned. A good barbershop scent that takes me about half an hour to tolerate. Even then, it's only a 4 out of 5. I'm not sure what it is that keeps it from being perfect instead of only above average, but it is not a bad office scent and would make for a relatively safe blind buy.
13th November, 2013

Add your review of English Fern

Shop for English Fern products online

Shop for English Fern at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for English Fern

Member images of English Fern

There are no member images of English Fern yet. Why not be the first?