English Fern (1911)

Year of Launch1911

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About English Fern

English Fern is a shared / unisex perfume by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 1911

English Fern fragrance notes

Reviews of English Fern

I love Penhaligon's fragrances and have yet to find one that smelled bad on me or clashed with my body chemistry. I really wanted to like this one because it's one of their older fragrances (1911), but for me the Geranium comes on way too strong, and geraniums have never been my favorite floral scent. Like everything Penhaligon's makes, it's well made and superior quality. If you love, and I mean really LOVE, the smell of geraniums, I'd give this one a try.
12th July, 2017
Let me start by saying that I am a fan of this house. I have been pleased with most offerings from Penhaligon's. I'm especially drawn to their tradition and history. So, I was really hoping to like English Fern as it is one of their scents that has stood the test of time having been introduced in 1911.

English Fern's opening is a extremely bold pine/geranium. These top notes are almost repulsive to my nose. I can usually find redeeming qualities in most fragrances but EF doesn't give me that opportunity as the pungent top notes dominate and stay throughout the dry down.

It is one of those fragrances that makes me shake my head and wonder how it has stayed in production for so long when others are discontinued after such short runs. To each his own, I guess. This one is not for me.
21st May, 2017 (last edited: 22nd May, 2017)
Lovely fresh scent with the grassy and soapy notes sticking out for me. One for every day and work use. I tend to wear for my own pleasure, my wife considers this one acceptable with a subtly pleasant dry down. As she is a very fussy Russian lady I take that as a positive.
14th January, 2017
English Fern opens with a fresh, soapy aspect that's got green notes around the edges. It's very refreshing in my opinion, and I'm enjoying it immensely. With that said, I've realized that Creed cloned Penhaligon's 1911 creation English Fern when they created Cypres Musc, I'm astonished at how much Cypres Musc reminds me of English Fern. Obviously, Cypres Musc is not an exact replica of EF, but it's a direct ancestor as far as I'm concerned. The biggest different for me is that CM is nuclear in strength, longevity and sillage. It's a bit too heavy for me and tends to burn out my senses before the end of the day. English Fern on the other hand sits very nicely on the skin. The sillage could be a little more pronounced, but it's very tasteful and enjoyable. Such a clean, fresh smelling fragrance. I will keep this in my rotation for many years to come. I love finding frags that were created so many years ago that are still so enjoyable all these years later. Bravo, Penhaligons!
04th December, 2016
An extremely sharp and astringent scent that showcases, to my nose, lavender, geranium, moss, and perhaps some form of citrus. It is not particularly pleasant and would not be so other than in the form of some cleaning product. As many have said already in reviews of EF, there are just so many better things out there in the vaguely fougere / green department.

Now please excuse me, it's making my eyes water.
18th May, 2016
Wearing English Fern for the first time today. 30 minutes past the initial application and I still see no significant evolution. At this point I could not make any difference between EF & Puig's Agua Lavanda. All that I can detect is lavender (not particularly of a refined variety), sharp geranium leaf and some moss lurking underneath.

I'll be updating my review is case something changes but based on this first impression I think that my 25.5 oz bottle of Agua Lavanda can do precisely the same job for significantly less money.
03rd March, 2016 (last edited: 07th March, 2016)

Add your review of English Fern

Shop for English Fern products online

Shop for English Fern at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for English Fern

Member images of English Fern

There are no member images of English Fern yet. Why not be the first?