English Lavender (1873)

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

English Lavender Fragrance Notes

Shop for English Lavender products online

Reviews of English Lavender

Showing 1 to 6 of 11 reviews.
    positive 10 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 1 Negative Reviews

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

I have four different decades' versions of this scent. This began out of curiosity, wondering how much variation could exist within such a straightforward creation. I've become, on paper, a bit of a pessimist where reformulations come in but this is just such an easy win-over for me. My first English Lavender was the current version as of 2010 and I absolutely love it; bergamot, light white musk, and Lavender, easy as it comes. Makes for a great body scent, room/pillow spray, natural bug repellant, and layering agent. I have since acquired several vintages and I am happy to say the current holds up. The 70's and 80's versions are only slightly stronger, like an EDP of what exists now. The only real standout from the crowd is the 40's/50's era (oldest I have) version, which is richer and sweeter but, because of the age, has a bit of dull sourness in the top notes - this one lasts an almost unreasonable time for a lavender and hot damn is it a beauty. Why, then, do I not find the newer one wanting? Because one can reapply as needed. Sure the old juice is richer and more delicious but you can't reapply it like the new without piling up musk like an Abercrombie store. In short - This is a great fragrance in every incarnation, and one of the best unisex/utility florals around.

25 January, 2014

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Consider the following.
    Houbigant Fougere Royale 1882. Allegedly the first "fougere"
    Geo. F. Trumper Wild Fern 1877
    Yardley English Lavender 1873
    Both of the latter share the same fougere-style formulation of lavender, tonka and oakmoss.
    Well, I won't answer for Trumper's claim to the title here. But I can say that although Yardley's Lavender has the structure of a fougere, it is so lavender-prominent that it is correctly termed a lavender scent rahter than a fougere.
    I can't speak to vintage juice -- I am commenting on a current bottle. The lavender starts off very dry. It has a medicinal-herbal quality, actually quite camphoraceous due to the rosemary and eucalyptus. These, along with the lavender, give the scent a very cool and airy tone. Gradually the dryness diminishes and the scent takes on a rather floral note, with a fairly sweet musk. The musk asserts itself for a while, and then amazingly the lavender appears as a shadow note to the musk.
    I'd say that this has amazing longevity for a lavender scent. I feel that a vintage version would have been exceptional. This is pretty good for a what is a drugstore scent.

13 December, 2011

MissLucy's avatar
    MissLucy

This perfume is easily one of my favorites. I wear it quite often when im at home because it has a soothing quality to it. I guiltily spray my bed with this perfume since I absolutely love to smell it when I walk into the room.

I rarely wear it out of the house because I find the scent is easily lost in the big city.
    However, if I am going to the theater it is always the first perfume I consider. Even though it is meek next to most other perfumes after the dry down it is still present. I have had numerous compliments from my fiance when I spray it into my hair.

Considering the low price, it is definitely worth the small investment.

13 September, 2011

smh78's avatar
    smh78

I bought a bottle of this for my husband, who loves the smell of lavender, the sweet dear! It has quite a nice almost medicinal-smelling herbal punch in the first few minutes after spraying, then dries down to a very sedate, yes, English-smelling lavender, rounded out with a bit of powder and sage. The problem with all lavenders, as far as I can tell, is that they have almost no staying powder, making lavender one of those essential yet ephemeral elements in perfumery. I would like someday to find a true lavender scent which lasts and lasts, although to my knowledge, such a creature is an impossibility. Yardley does the trick for that fleeting hour or so of lavender joy, then fades away.

08 April, 2010

merry.waters's avatar
    merry.waters
    Egypt Egypt

It would be curious to say English Lavender is up to British prudery. A bit medical, harsh to emphasize its use as a pest repellent, in spite of being some fun for its own. The ingredients list itemizes additions as farnesol, benzyl something, coumarine etc. Too used as insecticides and against bacteria respectively.

The top notch entry is lavender. That is what You get as real for real. Of course this is not as creative as assembling aromachemicals to resemble a very certain bunch of flowers, brought by the knight on the white horse, metallic aspects in the top notes accordingly blasting in the sun, exhaling the morning dew from ... . It can be worn by straight men too, that is my belief so far, as I do.

13 January, 2010

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

Given the price, I suppose Yardley English Lavender is not that bad, but there are so many better choices: Atkinsons lavender by the same name, d'Orsay Arome 3, etc. The opening is more a caricature of lavender rather than the actual flower. I only smell a synthetic, soapy lavender on a chemical-smelling heart and base that is quite rubbery. The vintage version was much better. Though more expensive, I would say Caron PUH and Royal Scottish Lavender--even Caldey Lavender are vastly superior.

14 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

Add your review of English Lavender