Envy for Men (1998)

Year of Launch1998

HouseGucci
Parent Company at launchWella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics

About Envy for Men

This sleek, masculine, oriental, woody scent became an instant classic when it was launched in 1998. The green liquid is contained in a square glass bottle with a large black plastic lid. The bottle is embossed with the words Gucci Envy for Men in silver text.

Reviews of Envy for Men

About a week ago, I bought a sealed full 100 ml bottle of this fragrance. It's, without a doubt, a high-quality creation by Gucci, which has a very rich and well made olfactory structure. The best attribute of Envy For Men; IMO, is the drydown; the incense and vanilla notes provide a very nice gourmand vibe, which remind me some fancy wine cakes. I also can feel the vetiver and a soft leather note.

Honestly, I think it's kind of overrated in terms of performance. Its sillage and longevity aren't as good as most people say they are. Maybe the nostalgia effect provokes an out of proportion perception about its aromatic features.

Luckily, the price I paid wasn't as steep as the pieces you find on the net. It would be considered a bargain by many collectors.

Overall score: 8.0
27th August, 2017
This is heavy on spices, with a nice tobacco feel to keep it different from the others. Well done, warm, with a nice evolution. Sillage and longevity are good!
22nd May, 2017
Gucci Envy for Men is one of the more hyped recently-discontinued men's fragrances, a highlight of Tom Ford's stewardship of Gucci.

A mix of citrus, ginger, amber, rose, and incense, I detect mostly the spicy side of the ginger and incense mix, not being distracted by too much else. Ginger is usually difficult for me to bear in excess, but in Envy, it is used tastefully, not spoiling as it often does. It has lighter parts but overall feels like a heavy-handed masculine takeover, a firm punch to remind of what we imagine that men's scents of yore must have smelled like, regardless of whether that's accurate. It doesn't indulge an appeal to barbershop freshness as a fougere would, but leans far more toward something worn in the winter, or at least at night.

Performance for an EDT is impressive, moderate/strong on projection and strong on longevity--back in the day this would have been quite a steal as far as a mature, classic-smelling men's fragrance.

Unfortunately, Envy's status seems to have become overblown, with bottles going for $200+ on eBay. While I don't appraise it so highly, I can recognize this as one I'd like to own and reach for, just not so much what the market is purportedly bearing at this time.

8 out of 10
16th May, 2017 (last edited: 22nd May, 2017)
Envy is one of very few Tom Ford Gucci Era fragrances I've never got around to sniffing until now. I've heard comparisons to Carven Homme which I think are somewhat accurate, but Envy is on a whole other level of quality and overall smell. Envy has that old school barber shop vibe to it, but it's modernized with the ginger and a stellar note pyramid. When I mention quality what I'm talking about is the notes themselves and how these notes were blending. I can smell many of the notes in here and what I smell is quality, quality, quality. The blending is excellent and this fragrance transitions flawlessly from the opening to the base. Smell wise I'll come back to the barber shop vibe I mentioned, but Envy has a lot of depth to the notes and what you wind up with is a very clean (lavender) and crisp (ginger) opening that turns into a bit mysterious and sexy (Cardamom, anise, opoponax) and settles into a warm and comforting base (incense, amber, and cedarwood). Unfortunately as everyone knows Envy was discontinued and is hard to find and expensive at this point which is where Carven Homme comes in. Yes, it does smell similar because you get the barber shop vibe with the lavender and the honey note is similar to the opoponax note in Envy, but what's missing is the spice and depth that Envy has. Envy is essentially the niche version of Carven homme, although Envy is considered a designer fragrance.
06th March, 2017
Gucci Envy for Men is a sleeper favorite in my collection. Meaning, I tend to overlook it when searching for a scent to wear, but on occasion I take notice and give it a spritz.

Envy is spicy, sweet, and captivating. From the moment I spray it on, Envy takes me on a journey through exotic fragrance notes that are pleasant to behold.

It's different than most of Gucci's men colognes, but it's worth a try if you are into oriental spicy scents.
29th December, 2016
Absolutely love this. Got the latest bottles in australia recently wow now i get it why some old stuff is great I get this beautiful soapy smell for hours and hours love it...
28th December, 2016 (last edited: 15th March, 2017)

Add your review of Envy for Men