Équipage (1970)

Year of Launch1970

HouseHermès
PerfumerGuy Robert

About Équipage

Équipage is a masculine fragrance by Hermès. The scent was launched in 1970 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Guy Robert

Équipage fragrance notes

Reviews of Équipage

What a majestic cologne. Completely refined! Although this puppy came out in the 1970's, it has no loud, brash, arrogant or "MeMeMe" aspects. I found Equipage quite by accident, thus showing my true ignorance of historic colognes. I was looking into testing Van Cleef and Arpels pour Homme, and saw folks mentioning this cologne as it's considered by some to be an 80's powerhouse-type. So, I thought why not, I'll test this too.

I disliked VC&A; I loved this! Equipage is a subtle mans cologne filled with distinction, white collars, restraint and the highest of class. I found this scent to have a perfected balance of rose, vetiver, barbershop powders and musk. Nothing overtly manly either, in that this is not what you'd wear if you're trying to pick up a random stranger at a club. Quite the opposite: this is meant for a loved one, a special date or most definitely the office/formal event. Sillage is moderate, projection closer to the chest.

What I really like about Equipage is that it's so nice to smell. That sounds weird, but I literally get a kick out of smelling my wrist and arm when I wear it. Quality ingredients are apparent, and the pricepoint is manageable without being pretentious. One cologne I have to relate this to is Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, especially in the basenotes and after 2 hours of wear.

Would I recommend this - absolutely! This is a masterpiece of a cologne.
15th February, 2018
Stardate 20170124:

I have tried vintage and as recent as late 2016 version. I like them all and find them fairly similar.
I find it similar to aromatic fougeres though a lot more delicate. The anisic note,spices and soapiness reminds me of Azzaro PH.
I would buy it and no need to pay premium for vintage
24th January, 2017 (last edited: 14th February, 2017)
Being number 3 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

I find this to be comparable to the Spanish leather conceits of GF Trumper and Truefitt & Hill, especially the former, but a step or two up in quality. Given that I really like the Spanish leathers, Equipage is an instant hit for me. It provides the same warm, hazy, sensual waves of scent, highlighting patchouli, leather, and spices. I get very good longevity, and now, at the end of the day, the florals come through a bit more. A superbly accessible take on leather - or at least the materials used on leather - and an instant addition to the wish list. This one well and truly lives up to its reputation. Little more to say.

It is worth noting that my sample was designated as a vintage decant. This means I will have to try the more recent formulation - the hardship.
31st August, 2016
I own a splash bottle of the first edition EDT (as per ads from the 1970s, and prior to batch numbers) as well as a sample which I am guessing is from the early 1990s reformulation. Thanks to a meetup group, I got a chance to smell the second formulation (with Eau de Toilette appearing above Equipage, and the spray that keeps spraying for a few seconds after you press it).

Equipage is my go-to scent for professional days, meeting clients or any kind of formal occasion, because it's very hard not to like it.

The notes are described in the pyramid, but I could rarely identify them on their own as they were so well blended. It's a very soapy feel in dry winter weather (a refined version of Imperial Leather soap perhaps) which blooms into a more peppery, more approachable floral leather in tropical Singapore. There's a hint of tobacco. It has a clear personality.

The most modern sample is louder, with the soapy feel reduced and a bit more pepper and more persistent floral side; side-by-side it makes the first vintage smell a little more watery, but just a tad. The second vintage is closer to the first, identical as far as my memory remembers. I happily wear them all.
03rd August, 2016
A very old school, aromatic, herbal, floral, leather, mossy fragrance with very well made ingredients that is suited towards the grown ups.

This type of fragrance will not appeal to many younger men IMO.. Something in this does not set well with me.. I am thinking it is the carnation & pine mix? I am not a fan of carnation, It literally flops on my skin.

It is classy & sophisticated but I don't have a need for this fragrance in my wardrobe. Lasting power is 5-6 hours with arms reach projection. If you like retro, masculine dated fragrances, check out Equipage!
29th June, 2016
Complex and very well blended. It's spicy, mossy, woody, floral. Mature and elegant, it does make me think a few decades back. If I wore to describe it in one word, it would be "aromatic".
14th April, 2016

• USD $69.89
  • Time Left: 27 days

EQUIPAGE BY HERMES FOR MEN EAU DE TOILETTE EDT SPRAY 3.3 / 3.4 OZ / 100 ML /

• USD $69.99 STARTING BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 0 Bid(s)
  • Time Left:

Vintage Hermes EQUIPAGE Splash Fragrance Mini FRANCE NEW

• USD $19.99
  • Listing Type: eBay Store
  • Time Left: 24 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Equipage, Amazone, Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermes 3.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Choose

• USD $62.99

Authentic Hermes EQUIPAGE sample READ DESCRIPTION

• USD $29.95
  • Time Left: 1 day
  • Shipping from: United States

Hermes - Equipage EDT - 5ml Free shipping! Smell Better!

• USD $12.00