Essenza di Zegna (2003)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 152 ratings

Essenza di Zegna Fragrance Notes

Essenza di Zegna information

The first Zegna scent since YSL Beaute acquired the license two years ago.
    Created by Firmenich perfumers, Alberto Morillas and 73, who betwen them also created last years M7. Should be a winner then!

Shop for Essenza di Zegna products online

Reviews of Essenza di Zegna

Showing 1 to 6 of 37 reviews.

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

One of my favourites from 2003. What a fragrance this was! Superb bergamot and citrus opening that dries down into a luscious, soapy and powdery vetiver, amber and musk base. Very nicely blended. I was so gutted when this was discontinued, but alas all good things come to an end. They don't make them like this any more... RIP Essenza di Zegna.

09 January, 2014

timdoeswell's avatar

An utterly unremarkable fragrance.

The fragrance is nice but nothing special - it is an office-friendly scent that smells clean and fresh, with very slight floral accords and a mundane musk drydown.

What I can't understand is, if you're going to make a scent so unbelievably bland, why also make the projection and longevity so poor?

If you're looking for an office scent, choose either a challenging scent that lies close to the skin, or an inoffensive scent that has a bit of projection?

This fragrance is neither challenging nor powerful, and not worth your time.

I can't see myself using up my blind-bought 100mL any time soon - it's over a year old and I've only used it half a dozen times.

16 November, 2012

colormechris's avatar

I found a bottle of this on one of my thrift store runs and since it was only a couple of bucks, and after a quick sniff, I brought it home. It was very light. So light, in fact, that it seemed to evaporate from the mind as soon as it was sprayed. And yet, it was compelling enough to keep me coming back for reassessments. Zegna is the purveyor of fine suits, and this scent lent itself well to fine suit wearing; especially in warmer weather. Outside of a suit, it was a bit too formal due to those spicy midnotes. Spicy notes always put me in mind of winter.
    I guess I was sort of in limbo regarding Essenza Di Zegna (although I love that name! It rolls off the tongue with such elan). This failure of mine to commit to Mr. Zegna led to my giving the bottle to my BF for his briefcase cologne. One of the most important elements of the "briefcase cologne" is the flacon. It must be sturdy and lend itself to easy transportation and access. The scent, of course should be good, but is more or less an afterthought. The briefcase cologne is motored through rather quickly; which is alarming when he gets his hands on my Chanel Pour Monsieur. But smelling the EdZ on him grew on me. I realized the fragrance was rather intricately composed after all, and certainly was redolent of fine perfuming ingredients. I find it interestng that it was composed by Msrs. Jacques Cavallier and Alberto Morillas-- who have been hitting my radar screens a lot lately. They've composed many of my favorite recent scents...and strangely, many of my least favorite recent scents. I guess that qualifies them as LOVE/HATE perfumers. But that's good, because it means they know what they're are doing. They are creating scents with character and originality...quite a feat nowadays in the heady world of perfume.

25 March, 2012

elmatador75's avatar

This is no aquatic. But, I do agree that it bears a strong resemblance to Aqua de Gio, which I dislike. Confusing? No, and here are the reasons why. Aqua de Gio is what happens when you get a quality fragrance like Essenza and then strip it down and add cheap ingredients while tampering with the settings of what was a fine-tuned piece. Where Gio goes awry with high-pitched, cloying notes, Essenza grows into a complex citrus-wood fragrance. The middle notes is where this frag excels. The herbal notes balance out the lemony top notes and the wood base notes. It has at least four layers whereby the fragrance changes as you wear it. Is it original? Not really. But, it is a quality scent for work and summer. It has quality ingredients and will only get you compliments at work. If you want a super original, come-and-look-at-me fragrance, get M7 or Angel. But if you want to be taken seriously at your place of work, get Essenza.
    *****Update: This is in my top five now (out of well over 50 bottles of fragrances). This has to be memorialized as a classic. It is a masculine, elegant fragrance fit for an Italian Count or Baron. And a great value. I wake up and can still enjoy this fragrance from the previous day. Bravo.

09 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2012)

Lovescully's avatar

I absolutely love this stuff! I donít get any kind of aquatic vibe from this at all. Itís really very green and fresh with a hint of fruity sweet & sour thrown into the mix.

Itís perfect for daily office use and is extremely unlikely to offend even the most sensitive nose. In my opinion itís also a versatile scent that can be used for almost any occasion and at any time of the year.

As far as the sillage and longevity go, it does stay fairly close to the skin but I use the EDT with the shower gel and after shave balm; so it pretty much lasts the whole day on me.

FYI; before I purchased this, I first tried it on paper. It was quite a pungent sharp green with almost no hint of the fruity sweet/sour notes. Then when I tried it on my skin, I got a totally different vibe from it. I guess this one has a lot to do with body chemistry, so a friendly word of warning: try before you buy.

17 April, 2011

usemyname's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Masterpeace!

I feel really relaxed and peaceful when I wear this. Like a summer's day in Andalusia. Maybe this isn't an aquatic scent, but it got that cucumber note that normally makes me nauseous. Love it here, though! The scent remains interesting during it's life span...around 8 hours. Never dull. Extremely comfortable to wear as someone mentioned.

31st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2011)

Add your review of Essenza di Zegna

Search for on eBay United States

Ermenegildo Zegna essenza di zegna 3.3oz Men's Eau de Toilette SEALED PACKED BOX
    • Time Left: 27 days
    4 Ermenegildo Essenza di Zegna Hair & Body Wash 1.6 oz each
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 4 days
    STARTING BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    Essenza DI ZEGNA BY Ermenegildo Zegna Perfume Men 1.6 oz / 50 ml Spray New Boxed
    • Time Left: 23 days
    • Time Left: 10 days
    ESSENZA DI ZEGNA BY ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA MEN1.6OZ/50ML EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY NIB
    • Time Left: 3 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Essenza DI ZEGNA BY Ermenegildo Zegna Perfume Men 3.4 oz/ 100 ml Spray New Boxed
    • Time Left: 22 days