Erolfa (1992)

Erolfa is a men's fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1992

Shop for Erolfa products online

118ml EdP

Reviews of Erolfa

Showing 1 to 6 of 117 reviews.

stylerico's avatar

Like most Creeds, put it on light. Don't shower in it. I used to over apply this and it would overpower the daily aromas that I would normally enjoy. Once I got the correct application I woke up on an Island in the South Med. surrounded by the salt air evaporating in the very hot sun. Underneath you can just get whiffs of a citrus fruits growing some where close by.
    It also gives you the feel of a freshly showered body. This has grown on me, and is in my top 5!

04th December, 2014

ClassicFan's avatar

I originally preferred Millesime Imperial but have changed my mind and prefer this. The ozone is light and brings a feeling of being near the ocean. The fruit and ambergris add to it without overpowering. I think this is the best marine scent out of all the ones I've tried.

23rd November, 2014

Casiquire's avatar

I quite enjoyed this one, though it did catch me a bit off guard! It opens up like a standard clean aquatic. A bit of citrus, a bit of those oceanic notes you can probably smell just from the term "aquatic", and a very clean overall impression. After a few minutes, though, the citrus fades just a bit and the grit comes out. There's a very dirty smell to this on my skin and I probably wouldn't wear it to work because it would feel pretty risque (I learned from my mistake). That phase lasts for a while on my skin, over an hour. That starts to settle into the standard Creed drydown of ambergris. I don't get much sandalwood myself. The bergamot lasts until the very end but it gets very mild and the ending is overall rather pleasant. The dirtiness also tones down quite a bit so that at the end I can just admire how nicely-composed it really is. Overall I can see myself buying a bottle to wear when I want to come across as a seductive man comfortable in my skin, or if I'm going to a party where I'm likely to become sweaty and close to others. It's pretty much gone in a couple of hours, though, which is a major downside for the price point. Still, I feel it's worth having.

22nd November, 2014

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

Very mild ammonia mixed with iodine and sea salt.

Could not really detect much else as it had faded after about two hours.

I like most of Creed's line, but this is poor for the price you pay, and although I can't name them, I know I have tried fragrances which are very similar but better and far cheaper.

21st October, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

Erolfa fascinates me. For all of its ostensible simplicity, it shifts moods and intensity in unpredictable ways. Like the ocean it endeavors to conjure, it manages to be at once fresh and mysterious, successfully avoiding a certain well-fashioned blandness I have found in some other modern Creed scents. At the same time, it dodges the suntan lotion banality of so many "beach" scents.

It's not Erolfa's brine that I encounter first, but a sharp, tart citrus, one that is more lemon juice than orange rind. The salt, ozone, and iodine reveal themselves over the first fifteen to thirty minutes, while the citrus smoothes out and mellows. (Though without ever becoming sweet.)

This is where the much-discussed ocean pier/seaside impression solidifies, if "solidifies" applies to a scent as elusive and evanescent as Erolfa. I sense no kelp or dune grass here. Oddly, for an "oceanic" scent, I find nothing moist at all about Erolfa. This is salt-soaked, sun-drenched driftwood blending with dry citrus and the faintest hint of the creosote used to waterproof pilings beneath a dock.

Erolfa stays quite close to my skin, drying down toward the same enjoyable, if slightly over-familiar millésime base I know from Silver Mountain Water, Millésime Imperial, and other green/aquatic modern Creeds. In this case though, the drydown is distinguished by a lasting hint of iodine and sea salt, which keeps Erolfa's late stages drier and a touch sharper than its cousins'.

Erolfa remains far craggier and decidedly more "masculine" than Silver Mountain Water or Millésime Imperial, and I understand why Creed's not marketing it as unisex. This is an austere, perhaps even slightly forbidding, fragrance: the ghost of some old sailor that flickers in and out of view against a background of ocean spray and gray surf.

How remarkable that over a millésime base not too far removed from the congenial Green Irish Tweed, Erolfa can make such a contrasting impression. It's taken me a long time to decide how I feel about Erolfa, and that in itself helped me decide that there really is something to it. Silver Mountain Water and Millésime Imperial are both very beautiful, but it's the far less pretty Erolfa that holds my attention.

13th June, 2014

Adama's avatar

Erolfa is a very nice scent.

It opens with a combination of salty oceanic and very strong bergamot notes. The bergamot creates a very soapy scent, which deepens with the addition of pepper.

After a few minutes the bergamot and pepper disappear, leaving the salty oceanic notes, as well as herbal mint. This stage reminds me a lot of the "fizzy citrus" notes of Sean John Unforgivable, though the note pyramids look nothing alike.

I doubt most people would be able to tell them apart, though admittedly Erolfa is a much nicer scent that fills the nostrils, feels more natural, and is much more refined. It's less sweet than Unforgivable, saltier, and does an excellent job of creating the feeling of an ocean breeze.

Rated Positive, it's a shame that it's so expensive. It's much better than Green Irish Tweed, and I think I like it even more than Aventus.

17th April, 2014