Esencia Loewe (1988)

Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Esencia Loewe

Esencia Loewe is a masculine fragrance by Loewe. The scent was launched in 1988

Reviews of Esencia Loewe

This reminds me of the smell of adult men from my childhood, in their Sunday best, but more shaving cream than aftershave. It doesn't quite match my style. Chanel made Platinum Egoiste to fill this slot in my rotation.
09th June, 2015
I acquired a sample of this based on a friend's assurance that it smelled like "a more refined Polo green". This tempted me. I love Polo, and have occasionally tried in vain to find similar fragrances with which to oscillate.

First thing to get out of the way: it does not smell anything like Polo.

Polo has a slightly 'horsey' redolence (as befits the equestrian reference in its name), and a smutty oakmoss. It also has a smoothness and a roundness, like an old trunk which has had the corners knocked off or dented by many years of manoevring it round staircase landings.

Esencia is conversely rather sharp, clean, and pristine. The conifers share more, I think, with Yatagan than with Polo.

This fragrance distinguishes itself with a very precocious use of aldehydes. Gas chromatography is not required to spot a big dose of lauric aldehyde (straight-chain C11). Methyl nonyl acetaldehyde, and cis-3- hexaldehyde also fly at an altitude just below the radar of being obviously synthetic. At a stretch, you could believe they came from natural sources: maybe cypress, rosemary, and basil. But you would have to want to believe.

The synthetic nature of the makeup has its uses, of course. Firstly, the 'narrow bandwidth' of these components allows a neat separation of notes, somewhat like a jazz ensemble where each musician manages to keep within his own register. Secondly, the performance in terms of sillage and longevity is prodigious.

I'll be honest: I won't buy a bottle. I probably won't even finish the 5ml sample I have. There are so many I like better. But it is good.
10th March, 2015
Alas, I don't presently have the knowledge/capability to provide detailed descriptions like other, more experienced members helpfully offer us, but I wanted to offer that a number of people here suggested this one to me because I'm a big fan of Polo "Green", and I'm grateful for the suggestion and that I followed through. By comparison, it's more subtle, yet not only does it still certainly have presence, it... at least on me, it seems to have a nice long drydown that at some point starts to present itself as if it's simply an extension of your own natural scent, not necessarily inconspicuously, but... it has a certain blend of a strong presence and poise/grace. If I may humbly suggest, appreciate it for itself in its own identity, but for those who approach it as I did - a lover of Polo "Green" seeking similar fragrances to enjoy - this is something that's great for when you want to wear Polo "Green" but feel that the settings you'll be in perhaps call for a bit more tact. Don't get me wrong, I certainly reach for it because I just happen to feel like wearing this one on a given day, not simply because of reaching for a substitute. Like I said, enjoy it for its own identity. I just wanted to draw those comparisons. It was suggested to me as "a better version of Polo 'Green'". No. They're... kinda like brothers, maybe even twins - very similar yet each has its own nature.
17th October, 2014 (last edited: 16th October, 2014)
Kaern Show all reviews
Pine, basil, oakmoss, leather, lots of green.

It is just like stepping back 40 years to the stonking masculines prevalent then. Shirt collars so wide, you could quite possibly take off with a strong gust of wind.

Gorgeous smooth drydown sets it apart.
20th August, 2014
Born in the 80's, but its soul lives in the 70's! Huge powerful frag that is awesome if you dig Polo Green, Quorum or other chypre/leather/froguere cousins from the era. A massive, in your face, rainbow of green wet forest, smoke, and leather. Extremely masculine and present with a projection sillage that may redefine "vapor trail". Put on your flannel, find an axe and splash away!
23rd July, 2014
Genre: Leather

Notes: Lavender, artemisia, juniper berry, galbanum, geranium, clary sage, pine, basil, oakmoss, fir, leather, tonka bean.

Esencia Loewe is an herbaceous/aromatic leather chypre that shares some DNA with scents like Polo and Aramis 900. An appealingly warm, nutty spiced bergamot top note introduces a heart accord of artemisia, sage, lavender, pine, and leather. The opening spices persist as well, contributing their warmth to the overall olfactory experience. It’s potent by contemporary standards, but not overwhelming if applied with moderation. There is considerable sillage that persists for hours before the drydown sets in, at which point Esencia Loewe settles down into a warm, mossy-leathery skin scent.

Esencia Loewe has been compared to the big, brash “powerhouse” scents of the 1980s, but its heavily aromatic style actually hearkens back a decade to the grand masculine compositions of the 1970s, including not only Polo and Bernard Chant’s leather chypres for Aramis, but also spicy fougères like Azzaro pour Homme. Another monumental ‘70s scent that comes to mind as I wear Esencia de Loewe is Caron’s Yatagan. Pine, sage, and artemisia in a leather, pine, and oakmoss context account for the resemblance, but Esencia Loewe does not share Yatagan’s boldly animalic castoreum, and so comes off as more restrained and civilized. In fact, if Yatagan is too wild for your comfort, and Polo seems a bit too crude for your taste, Esencia Loewe might be just right.
13th June, 2014