Etra (2000)

About Etra

Etra is a shared / unisex perfume by Etro. The scent was launched in 2000

Etra fragrance notes

Reviews of Etra

Etra Etro is a graceful, bright, sweet floral-fruity-woody scent played with delicate “white” notes mainly revolving around rose, sandalwood, and an accord which somehow resembles to tea for me, although the note is not listed. You know that “shabby chic” thing (both in fashion and house furniture)? That is what I thought about smelling Etra Etro. It smells natural, lively and somehow “countryside-ish”, but a civilized, posh, affected, slightly pretentious and somehow coquettish kind of countryside. Not sure why but that “world” came to my mind when wearing this Etro’s, but well, here we are. Well anyway, that tea smell I mentioned earlier – and which honestly is quite prominent to me – plus the “white” flowers reminded me a bit of Parfum d’Empire’s Osmanthus Interdite, which to me is somehow similar to Etra Etro, at least to some extent. That feeling of something “juicy” and tea-like is probably due to some fruity notes, a really simple, fresh, “watery” rose and the floral-woody-sweet notes of sandalwood, carnation and pimiento (which you can easily spot here). Vanilla, cedar and a subtle musk note compose the base notes. Nothing groundbreaking but a really graceful, pleasant, fresh scent, more substantial than it seems. Understate radiance. Good!

27th January, 2015
The first blast is all peppery cinnamon,  menthol (coriander and may be mint) and earthy patchouli, something that soon i appreciated a lot before this disappointing fragrance morphs in to a sort of slightly resinous and a bit synthetic (it seems not to be an Etro one) chord of rosewood, musk, woody resins and vanilla, a blend slightly  incensey and cedary with a faint projection and a mediocre lasting power (at least on my skin). The general piquancy is plain (it gives the impression of incense for a while even if the pepper is evident) and some astringent flowers are blended in the composition. The smell is decidedly  prickly, bitter-sweet and a bit gummy, these are the more characteristic traits. The fragrance itself is neither particularly classy nor distinctive, i find it a bit flat and poor in personality. Etra is one of the Etro's i like less, but it deserves respect cause is anyway  an Etro one and that's enough to me.
21st December, 2011
JaimeB Show all reviews
Etra is a very fresh, woody-spicy oriental with a fairly sharp beginning and a mellow, but persistent drydown. I like to wear it in cool to warm weather, especially if it's a sunny day, since it really seems to incarnate a sunny disposition. Thi has good longevity on my skin, and a beautiful sillage. People often remark on smelling "something good" when I wear it, though it seems they don't know exactly where it's coming from. I don't mind, because I get to smell it wherever I go just by sniffing my wrist!
16th June, 2010
I'm getting lucky, I think! Another fragrance that I believe I could love and wear often and for quite some time. Etro Etra is different, unique, unusual but really wearable, pleasant and nice!

I really enjoy the opening notes of this scent! Spritzed some on my husband and he liked it a lot, too! It's hard for me to believe that the opening notes are predominantly rosewood but that's what everyone cites and that is what the Etro website states is predominant in this fragrance. So, I guess the opening is floral and wood but extremely smooth, well-balanced, no harshness here.

After trying Etro Etra a few times, the middle notes seemed to change on me. Yes, one time the fragrance morphed into a scent with floral mid-note...most times, the scent remained spicy and woody on me...a bit smoky. The heart of this fragrance is definitely a warm spicy floral.

Longevity is pretty good and silage is okay...could be a bit stronger for my tastes! tastes...but it is good enough!

May be off to buy a whole bottle; however per a recommendation, I am trying Etro Magot first. Etro Etra is definitely a keeper!
22nd April, 2010 (last edited: 15th March, 2015)
Asha Show all reviews
Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey and Etro Etra Side-by-Side Comparison

Le Feu d'Issey Notes: Bergamot, Coconut, Rosewood, Anise, Jasmine, Rose, Milk, Caramel, Cedar, Sandal, Vanilla, Musk (from Osmoz)

Etra Notes: Rosewood, Coriander, Cardamom, Geranium, Sandalwood (from apothica.com)

I read in The Guide (Turin and Sanchez) that Etro was like a "less good" Feu d'Issey. Considering Fd'I is discontinued, I decided to test them together. Looking at the published notes, there is indeed some overlap, and the expectation is that the fragrance will be woody-spicy.

Upon applying Fd'I, it really took me back to the time when I owned it--it is a strange fragrance, unlike most others I have tried. It is simultaneously fresh and dirty, almost as if the perfumer was trying to represent an alternative to carnation. Fd'I has the same cool and moist qualities of carnation with a spiciness which is almost to the point of being sinister. The spices are peppery and woody, with a dirt-like quality which reminds me of cardamom. The spices ground the fragrance while the crisp, watery floral notes float above the base. The overall effect is almost electric--it is fuzzy and diaphanous, making it difficult to pin down exactly where the scent comes from. In the later development, Fd'I becomes a little more ambery sweet, and the bitter, dry spices keep it in check while cedar wood carries the fragrance to the drydown.

Etra smelled quite similar to Fd'I upon first application. The fragrance initially has the same cool-hot combination of florals and spices, but somehow seems more clean. It is a touch sweeter than Fd'I in the top notes, and the mid notes that poke through are substantially greener and more herbal. Etra goes through a low-sillage stage in the mid notes, becoming a skin scent of cedar, vanilla, pepper and cardamom. I had to apply more to get additional projection. I thought the two fragrances would have similar drydowns as they both seemed to be headed toward cedar-musk-vanilla. On the whole, the Feu d'Issey drydown is more complex and unique with peppery spices surviving well into the woody vanilla stage. Etra seems light but satisfying with vanilla, woods and a dash of anise which makes it a dead ringer for the drydown of Serge Lutens Douce Amere.

I can't say I disagree with T&S about Feu d'Issey being the better of the two. However, I think if anybody is expecting is Fd'I from Etra, it will only be in the first half of the development. Since I really like Douce Amere, I can't say I would be averse to wearing Etra at all, as I get two great fragrances in one bottle! Etra really does lack the sparkle and balance of composition that Fd'I has, though. Sampling Fd'I today, I remember why I bought it in the first place--it is a carnation-like composition centered on an alternative oriental base. Where have we heard this theme before? From two of my most treasured favorites: Chanel Coco has rosy, spicy carnation over a traditional amber oriental base; and Shiseido Feminite du Bois has violet and fruit over a woody, balsamic alternative oriental base. Lest anybody lament the demise of Feu d'Issey, its legacy continues in fragrances such as Bulgari Black, Kenzo Amour and SL Douce Amere. And of course, Etro Etra.
16th May, 2009
Truly beautiful sweet and aromatic spicy-floral fragrance that leans clearly more towards feminine side. There is something in it that smells slightly medicinal and smoky. For me it is quite hard to compare this to anything; I think it’s a unique fragrance. Sensual and mysterious.

Slightly candied fruit-like aroma - makes me think of strawberrish concord limes plus sweet juicy candied cherries. And exotic spices and fresh colourful flower fields under the clear blue sky….

Glorious vanillic drydown strongly glows warmth.

Etro is one interesting house and this is just one example. I really do recommend this to any woman: You will smell gorgeous on this one.
03rd March, 2009

Add your review of Etra

Shop for Etra products online

Shop for Etra at online perfumeries

ETRA ETRO by Etro

End Date: Friday Mar-22-2019 23:21:49 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $12.25
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Etra Etro By Etro Edt Spray 3.3 Oz (new Packaging)

End Date: Saturday Mar-23-2019 20:25:50 PDT

Etra Etro By Etro Edt Spray 3.3 Oz *tester

End Date: Sunday Mar-24-2019 20:16:56 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $90.45
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Etra Etro By Etro Edt Spray 3.3 Oz (new Packaging)

End Date: Sunday Mar-24-2019 20:38:04 PDT

ETRO ETRA Eau de Toilette Spray 3.3oz. New Made in Italy RARE Vintage 1988 80s

End Date: Saturday Mar-30-2019 20:47:50 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $81.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

ETRA ETRO by Etro EDT SPRAY 3.3 OZ (NEW PACKAGING)

End Date: Saturday Mar-30-2019 22:04:16 PDT

ETRO ETRA ETRO EAU DE TOILETTE UNISEX 3.3 OZ / 100 ML NEW IN BOX

End Date: Friday Apr-12-2019 14:30:10 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $79.00

Member images of Etra

There are no member images of Etra yet. Why not be the first?