Extract of Limes (1963)

Extract of Limes information

Year of Launch1963

Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Extract of Limes

Discontinued in 2002, but relaunched as part of the Penhaligon's Anthology range in 2009.

Extract of Limes fragrance notes

Reviews of Extract of Limes

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is gorgeous: a convincingly zestful lime&lemon blast that is fine and elegant in nature, and is soon enhanced by a stunning underlying classic petit grain. Later on a well-balanced neroli takes over and gradually becomes the dominant force in the fragrance. I do not get a separate additional base note phase in this one.

This is a delicious, refined and elegant summer citrus-neroli scent. With these types of lime-citrus composition noone can expect a great performance du to the inherently short-lived nature of natural citrus oils notes, but I an pleasantly surprised here: whilst sillage is only soft and projection quite all right only, the initial impression lasts two hours on me, with the later neroli-centred phase gradually wanes over another four: this gives an overall longevity of six hours, which is splendid for a lime-based composition in my skin - albeit the last two hours being very close to my skin.

The ingredients are of a very high quality and well -blended, and although very simple and traditional in its components it is extremely well executed. A delightful summer joy. 4/5

08th August, 2015
I'm afraid I don't speak fragrance fluently enough yet to describe this scent adequately, but reading some of the other reviews I would agree that the immediate lime blast very rapidly calms down leaving a far too subtle sweetness.

I bought it several years ago and as I don't use it very often it's still going strong, which is good as I now see it's been discontinued.
30th March, 2013
The Don Juan of fruity fragrances - beautiful and talented, but over far too quickly, leaving only a trace of sweetness in its wake.
10th November, 2012
This has quite possibly the best opening of any lime fragrance Iíve encountered. I think it tops GFTís Lime in that department. Really like sticking your head in a bowl of freshly cut limes. However, like GFT, the longevity is very poor and after 30 minutes there really isnít anything left. If this were an aftershave and about 1/3 the cost it would be fantastic, but as a cologne at the given price I just canít give it a thumbs up.
09th February, 2012
Starts off with a very fresh lime note. E.g. Freshly cut limes, with the juice dripping out. Though as it fades, it becomes more and more synthetic smelling. It manages to maintain it's "lime flavor" until the end though as it mixes well with a noticeable neroli note. I am not a huge neroli fan, usually because the note comes off too powdery a lot of the time; but not in this case. I pretty much just get lime and neroli here.. and uhm.. a little leather? Maybe it's just me though.

Overall: Pretty good, if ya like lime. Starts off as a zesty, fresh lime, fades into a candy-like lime backed by neroli. Simple, easy, inoffensive. But, is it worth the price? Not to me. I'll take Gap: The Natural, for 8 bucks over this, if lime is what I crave.
27th September, 2011
This is the only Penhaligon's scent thus far to get a negative review from me. I agree completely with the reviewers that find this to be a cheat. The opening "lime" burst is exactly that of a restroom disinfectant - cheap and slimy. No fear - it's gone in ten minutes, leaving a warm woody petigrain - and that's it. It should be named Extract of Petitgrain. This is an outright failure in my opinion and ought to be discontinued again- why ever was it brought back?

Stick to the best lime available - Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes. Caswell Massey's Lime, though a bit sweet and candyish, is acceptable as well.
20th June, 2011 (last edited: 13th July, 2011)

Add your review of Extract of Limes

Shop for Extract of Limes products online

Shop for Extract of Limes at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Extract of Limes

Member images of Extract of Limes

There are no member images of Extract of Limes yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Extract of Limes (1963)