Extract of Limes (1963)

• Perfumer: Unknown - Let us know
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Extract of Limes Fragrance Notes

Extract of Limes information

Discontinued in 2002, but relaunched as part of the Penhaligon's Anthology range in 2009.

Shop for Extract of Limes products online

Reviews of Extract of Limes

Showing 1 to 6 of 16 reviews.

Mrs Purple's avatar
    Mrs Purple

I'm afraid I don't speak fragrance fluently enough yet to describe this scent adequately, but reading some of the other reviews I would agree that the immediate lime blast very rapidly calms down leaving a far too subtle sweetness.

I bought it several years ago and as I don't use it very often it's still going strong, which is good as I now see it's been discontinued.

30th March, 2013

Lucy2shoes's avatar
    Lucy2shoes

The Don Juan of fruity fragrances - beautiful and talented, but over far too quickly, leaving only a trace of sweetness in its wake.

10th November, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar
    Harvitz81

This has quite possibly the best opening of any lime fragrance I’ve encountered. I think it tops GFT’s Lime in that department. Really like sticking your head in a bowl of freshly cut limes. However, like GFT, the longevity is very poor and after 30 minutes there really isn’t anything left. If this were an aftershave and about 1/3 the cost it would be fantastic, but as a cologne at the given price I just can’t give it a thumbs up.

09 February, 2012

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Starts off with a very fresh lime note. E.g. Freshly cut limes, with the juice dripping out. Though as it fades, it becomes more and more synthetic smelling. It manages to maintain it's "lime flavor" until the end though as it mixes well with a noticeable neroli note. I am not a huge neroli fan, usually because the note comes off too powdery a lot of the time; but not in this case. I pretty much just get lime and neroli here.. and uhm.. a little leather? Maybe it's just me though.

Overall: Pretty good, if ya like lime. Starts off as a zesty, fresh lime, fades into a candy-like lime backed by neroli. Simple, easy, inoffensive. But, is it worth the price? Not to me. I'll take Gap: The Natural, for 8 bucks over this, if lime is what I crave.

27 September, 2011

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

This is the only Penhaligon's scent thus far to get a negative review from me. I agree completely with the reviewers that find this to be a cheat. The opening "lime" burst is exactly that of a restroom disinfectant - cheap and slimy. No fear - it's gone in ten minutes, leaving a warm woody petigrain - and that's it. It should be named Extract of Petitgrain. This is an outright failure in my opinion and ought to be discontinued again- why ever was it brought back?

Stick to the best lime available - Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes. Caswell Massey's Lime, though a bit sweet and candyish, is acceptable as well.

20th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2011)

foetidus

My experience with Extract of Limes is pretty much like that of most of the reviewers. The opening is a clear and beautiful lime / lemon accord… crystalline in its directness and simplicity. It doesn’t take long for the petit grain to kick in with a granular / citrus-seedy addition to the lime note, removing the opening’s clarity and replacing it with a sort-of citrus accord that is considerably less fulfilling than the opening. That’s about all the life and movement that I can find in this fragrance… I don’t get a drydown, unless that slight remnant of sortof citrus is a drydown. I think EoL’s longevity is longer than that of a traditional splash cologne, but the quickly deteriorating lime note makes the longevity of Extract of Limes not worth the effort. This one’s not for me: I intend to continue my happy faithfulness to the rapidly disappearing Royall’s Lyme…

04 March, 2011