Fahrenheit (1988)

PerfumerJean-Louis Sieuzac
PerfumerMaurice Roger
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit is a bright "green" fragrance and is popular today, twelve years after it's launch. It is a fragrance that whether you love it or hate it, it is instantly recognisable.

Fahrenheit fragrance notes

Reviews of Fahrenheit

BLUF: A brilliant, unique, unforgettable green scent. At risk of sounding cliché, it’s art. To date, this and L’Homme Libre are my favorite uses of violet (haven’t tried Narciso for Him yet) although Fahrenheit Absolute & Parfum are up there too.

A genius offering from Dior that is in my top 3, a fragrance that I’ll never be without. I don’t subscribe to the “you can only wear this scent during that season” idea, but Fahrenheit does remind me of summer when I wear it…probably because people don’t mow their lawns in New England during the winter. Yup, I’m there with the rest of the gas/grass crowd.

My personal take on it is this: The opening smells like the inside of a shed (yurt, in the case of my family) where the lawnmower, weed wacker, and tennis shoes that my Dad wore while mowing, are stored. A mix of petrol fumes, cut grass, and a bit of leather. There is a hint of something just barely sweet that peaks in and out over the life of the scent, but I don’t get honeysuckle sweetness at all.

Longevity is moderate for me (5-6 hours) as is sillage.
Call my nose unrefined if you will, but I barely notice a difference between my bottles from 1999 and 2013, other than the newer bottle having better longevity.

No flankers come close to the original but Parfum and Absolute honor their forefather very well in their own beautiful way.
04th March, 2016
All Fahrenheit smells like is Kiwi shoe polish,real lime juice,and shredded violets minus the urine note.On my skin? gone in a few hours.Okay sillage...would call it strong really.Very lifeless and transparent scent by Christian Dior.Not getting what all the rave is about.
01st February, 2016
Never knew Fahrenheit was so popular and so well reviewed here. And I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to review Fahrenheit as it was one of the 1st fragrances I ever had. It was a gift from my father during the 90’s and it was an EdT splash. Thinking it was after-shave strength, I splashed myself with a few handfuls. Next thing I know, I was at the gas station and had accidentally doused myself with gas. Vaporous and stringent gas fumes filled the room. This is fragrance? The bottle went to the bottom of the drawer and was taken out occasionally to see if my previous experience had been a cruel smell illusion. Nope, still gas fumes. Admittedly, it does get slightly better on the drydown as the gas fades a bit and the undertow of the leathery notes emerges. I applaud the originality and the clever trick the violet plays with gasoline but in the end, I can’t get past the gas station connotation and ultimately cannot wear this.

21st January, 2016
One of the most vile concoctions I have ever had the displeasure to smell. . .

I remember soon after it was launched, going to the mall in Sterling/Rock Falls, IL with my (now) husband. Some idiotic sprayer doused him with it as we were leaving the anchor store. I almost immediately began gagging and got stopped up and headache-y. We had to drive 20 miles home afterwards and I could not breathe. Thought I was going to die--seriously. He had to drive with all of the windows down (IL in winter), and hang partially outside the window. It stuck with him even after a long shower and airing out.

Never in my life (before or since), have I had such a violent reaction to a scent. Not sure what the ingredient that was in it that got to me like that, but I hope to never experience it again. . .

Dreadful stuff. Certainly memorable, though. . .
13th January, 2016
Just tried this reformulation after owning the original back in the 90's. It's noticeably different from what I remember but still familiar. Didn't think I was into it for the first 20 minutes but then it all settled down and I couldn't stop smelling it. It's still so different from everything else out there...and addictive. I can see how this would be an easy compliment-getter.
23rd November, 2015
Fahrenheit…it's like a time capsule for me. It opens doors to my past every time I feel it.
But, because it has been drastically changed in the last years, these doors remain closed. The passing between leather and violet notes used to be very smooth and, in the end, everything was wrapped in warm feelings, like a nice sunset. Today, it rather reminds of a sunset after a long battle day, mixed with dust, smoke and blood, instead of a romantic day.
14th October, 2015

Add your review of Fahrenheit

Shop for Fahrenheit products online

Shop for Fahrenheit at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Fahrenheit