Feeling Man (1989)

HouseJil Sander
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics

About Feeling Man

Feeling Man is a masculine fragrance by Jil Sander. The scent was launched in 1989

Reviews of Feeling Man

My reading of Feeling Man is that it was a sort of prototype for Jil Sander Background. A potent mix of fruity notes and woody / ambery elements assembled around a classic oriental-fougerey bone structure. Sweet, potent and at traces overwhelming. Given when it was originally released, I think it was quite creative and while I respect both Jil Sander as a line and Feeling Man for what it represents, this gets just a *like*. No love.

10th February, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
A Dark Fruity Sensation with a Fougère End

The top note is iconic: Lavender freshness with dark prunes, berries and a raisinous syrupy thickness form a beautiful aroma. The lavender has some sharpness, not very much but sufficient to provide an ideal balance. In the drydown dark wood is followed by a wet pipe-tobacco note - another intriguing phase that lasts well into the fifth hour. Later these notes gradually fade and the lavender remains mixed with classic moss notes, which are very gradually fading out in a more traditional fashion. Projection and silage are good, and on my skin the longevity is phenomenal: thirteen hours.

I wore this enthusiatically in the years after it was released, and after a long break it is still a masterpiece. One of Sander's supreme fragrances.

Pros: Longevity

24th July, 2013
A top that smells like Escada's Casual Friday, a middle that reminds me of Gucci's Nobile, and a base similar to Claiborne for Men - Feeling Man is such a cool fragrance. It has so much going on but it's not at all unfocused - it's just really interesting. I like Tanto's assessment of this. For anyone out there looking to graduate from Burberry London, or if you are curious to try something that is green, woody, AND sweet, this is the one.
14th November, 2011
This stuff certainly persists : 12 hours later and unlike most that I have, still going strong enough that I expect to smell it in the morning.

Fairly massive projection in the case of the sample I got, so take it easy to begin with when it comes to experiments with application.

Mini's of this green juice seem still fairly common on e-bay for reasonable prices, even at this late date, so if you're going to go retro, get it while you can.
23rd September, 2011
Although I haven 't had the chance to wear this for almost 2 decades the scent remains unforgettable. Since Calvin Klein's Contradiction is similar and maybe even sort of a copy of this I would agree this sexy fragrance should make a come back, there are too many on the market that leave no impression at all.
01st December, 2010
This used to be one of my signature fragrances in the 1990s (when it was simply called 'Man'), and it's still my all time favourite male scent alongside Tsar. This teutonic masterpiece had a dense fruity & spicy smell, like ripe plums and mulled wine, with a warm base of moist pipe tobacco, amber, patchouli and leather making it utterly masculine and best suited for evening or winter wear IMO. I also thought the smell was a touch synthetic, that I liked to think gave it an inspired modern interpretation of a traditional masculine powerhouse e.g. a Quorum. I thought a fragrance like this was too good & stylish to use every day, and so kept it for special occasions only - when it always garnered compliments. The highest compliment I can give is that I'd take this hands down over any current classic in the genre like Joop! Jump, or even the great Azzaro Pour Homme. Great minimalistic bottle design too (keeping to Jil Sander's design ethos) and startlingly deep purple colour of the liquid. Nirvana. Who the @%£* decided to discontinue this?!

Just a quick note on some of the threads I've noticed below: As I've strongly hinted in my review already, Jil Sander "Feeling Man" used to be called Jil Sander "Man" for a while after it first came out. I know, because I've had several bottles of both and can tell you that I noticed absolutely no difference in their smell, silage, longevity, scent colour, (a greenish purple), bottle design, or packaging (red box). The only difference between them was in their names and the script used: "Man" was in bold block capitals, and Feeling Man in title case italics. BTW, I wasn't too happy with the unexpected name change as "Feeling Man" still sounds a bit sissyish to me.
04th May, 2010 (last edited: 16th June, 2012)

Add your review of Feeling Man

Shop for Feeling Man products online

Shop for Feeling Man at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Feeling Man

Member images of Feeling Man

There are no member images of Feeling Man yet. Why not be the first?