Fougère Royale (1882)

HouseHoubigant
PerfumerPaul Parquet
Parent CompanyLoft Fashion and Beauty Diffusion

About Fougère Royale

The very first fougere fragrance was created by Houbigant in 1882. Discontinued in the fifties, but relaunched in 1988. It was once again discontinued and revived once more in 2010.

Fougère Royale fragrance notes

Reviews of Fougère Royale

For an old fragrance, FR smells pretty modern. I know it's been reworked from the original composition and the oakmoss is synthetic etc., but I'm impressed. It's not the lavender bomb I was expecting. In fact, the lavender is a short lived top note and the heart is a modern floral musk. I know there's rose in the mix and maybe a sweet green element over a musk and tonka/vanilla. After the first 30 minutes it stays a fairly linear green floral with the sweet musk base. One of the things I like about FR is none of the floral heart notes really dominate the scent. It's got good balance and reminds me of one of the superbly blended Middle Eastern scents. I imagine FR was the Green Irish Tweed of the early 20th century before GIT was ever formulated. Not the same scent, but as pleasant to wear IMO.

I'll easily give it a thumbs up.
20th August, 2017 (last edited: 26th September, 2017)
Welp...I finally tried Fougere Royale, albeit incredibly late to the party, I had to try this grand daddy of all fougere's! I'm glad I did, as I'm enjoying it. I definitely smell similarities to Amouage's Bracken Man. Obviously it's Amouage who has tailored Bracken Man after FR. There are still noticeable differences however. For one, Fougere Royale has a noticeable rose that is definitely not in BM. FG also has an effervescent/fizzy quality especially in the opening that is not unlike soda pop. It's a light soda...sort of what a "fern" ale would smell like if crafted in the manner of a ginger ale. Oddly, there is also a slight grape soda around the edges as well. I'm sure my attempts at describing what I smell are as strange as ever, but this is the way my smeller, "sees" things. I also pick up the cedar in Bracken Man, where there is none in FR. Finally, the heliotrope combined with the rose and orchid florals give FR just a slight smell of lip stick to my sensibilities. I like Fougere Royale and I'm glad I gave it a shot. It's not one I'd wear everyday, but it's definitely worth having in the rotation.
06th June, 2017
Wow, from 1882. Sure doesn't smell like anything old or dated. It's sweet, green and clean. Very nice to smell.

Not big on projection but it doesn't pull a disappearing act either. It's there, you can smell it.

I'm impressed.
07th April, 2017
Thumbs up for this clean, classic-smelling fragrance. It's light on me, and doesn't feel too far off from the feel of an Eau de Cologne. This has a nice soapy or shaving cream smell. From the listed notes, heliotrope jumped out at me, and now I'm smelling the connection with the 2016 Chanel release Boy.
21st February, 2017
I find this to be a very well made scent for all occasions. I also feel this is a Vivaldi (4 seasons) scent. It's a nice mix of citrus and florals that extend into the 2 to 3 hour projection range. As it gets closer to the dry down I find it to be more of a skin scent. Here and there I get a familiar smell... like I have this in my collection already... but then it's gone. It does have some depth within the first 3 hours as well. I find this to be well worth the price. Enjoy!

Upon Further Review...5/31/17
I gave this 4 stars due to being similar to something I already have... well today I figured it out... It smells like Hugo by Hugo Boss. Now since this seems to have been made in 1882 I will adjust my score to 5 stars.
03rd February, 2017 (last edited: 31st May, 2017)
In its current state, Fougère Royale is a complicated smell. I was expecting a Caron Pour Homme-esque mix of lavender and tonka, but instead it's more of an abstract grey/green mix of violet leaf and lavender spiced quietly with clove and brightened with a big glob of chemical orange.

It's that orange that complicates matters - it does a lot to modernize the smell (without it, Fougère Royale would fall somewhere between Penhaligon's English Fern and Grey Flannel), but just isn't particularly well executed. Frankly, the faux orange smells sweet and saccharine and comes awfully close to ruining everything. Metaphorically speaking, it would be like if someone poured molten latex over a recreation of Michaelangelo's David and tried to pass it off as a respectful update - it just doesn't fit, so much as to call the whole thing into question. I don't know - it's not terrible, but I don't think it's very good either. I'd personally save my money and stick with Grey Flannel...
05th January, 2017

Add your review of Fougère Royale

Shop for Fougère Royale products online

Shop for Fougère Royale at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Fougère Royale

Member images of Fougère Royale

There are no member images of Fougère Royale yet. Why not be the first?

Fragrances launched in the same year as Fougère Royale (1882)