Garrigue (1988)

Year of Launch1988

HouseMaître Parfumeur et Gantier
PerfumerJean Laporte

About Garrigue

Garrigue is a masculine fragrance by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. The scent was launched in 1988 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Laporte

Garrigue fragrance notes

Reviews of Garrigue

Mild thumbs-up. The term "Garrigue" is a French (Provencal) word which means "the scent of a breeze blowing through resinous shrubs, herbs, and baked earth." This scent attempts to convey that experience.

MPG's notes are as follows:
Top - lemon, bergamot, juniper
Mid - lavender, sage, rosemary
Base - sandalwood, musk

Has a plummy bergamot opening. A bit of lavender but mostly sage at this point. The scent is a bit sweet, and quite powerfully aromatic. Many MPGs fall into this sort of style. This does have a slight baked-earth note. The herbal notes grow in intensity. The dry-down has a very "fresh" musk note which I feel is a bit synthetic. That sort of brisk, lemony-musk note is also found in Trumper's Wellingon. It reminds me of dusty lemon drops. The final dry-down is cool, lemony and herbal.
For me, not bottle-worthy but interesting.
24th July, 2015
It may be blasphemous of me, but Garrigue’s top notes remind me of…Green Irish Tweed. There’s some of the same sweet, fruity/green fougère happening here, only it’s a lot less bright and perky. In fact, for the first half hour, I’m tempted to call Garrigue GIT’s the darker, dirty cousin; what GIT might be if it weren’t so wholesome, so ruddy-cheeked, and so hell-bent on pleasing everybody. Needless to say, I find Garrigue much more interesting.

Garrigue soon goes its own way, though. There’s a good deal of lavender (and perhaps even sage or rosemary,) in this blend, along with some musk and an interesting “salty” accord that together suggest dusty skin that’s long been exposed to sun. The opening sweetness dissipates pretty quickly, and the drydown is all musk and aromatic woods with a sharp, peppery edge. I agree with previous reviewers that Garrigue is a less daring scent than many others from this house, but it’s by no means dull. It is versatile, easy to wear, and well-crafted. I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a good daily wear fougère and have grown bored with GIT, Curve, and Cool Water. This has the quality of GIT, but it’s quite a bit less bland.
14th June, 2014
I have become very fond of Jean Laporte's unique genius and the resulant daring creations which have come forth from MPG. Garrigue just doesn't impress. It seems to me a less inviting relative of a few other MPG creations, such as Jardin du Nil. I see little relationship with some referenced fragrances (Cool Water, GIT, Safari), but plenty of relationship with some of the other Laporte creations. It does, indeed, have a raw earthiness and even gives an impression of a handful of dusty scrubland soil that has been mixed with overripe fruit and rotting flowers. The end result is a little ho-hum, or maybe I simply set my expectations too high. Garrigue just doesn't measure up to the beautiful notes in Santal Noble, Parfum d'Habit, Ambre Precieux....

Longevity, as with other MPG colognes, is superior and sillage is about average.
09th February, 2011
This makes me think of Cool Water, but less floral, more herbal, and with mineral salt. Not impressive at first blast as it resembles several fragrances which have been done since, but it grows on you. Masculine and refined. It's great with fuzzy wool weaters, as are most MPG fragrances. I suspect Laporte wears alot of fuzzy wool sweaters.
27th May, 2009
Kaern Show all reviews
Safari? GIT? Cool Water?. I must have missed that meeting. I mean this has class and skill dripping from it unlike the aforementioned imposters. A really gorgeous citrus and herb mix that lasts forever. How this has slipped under my radar is a mystery. Jean Laporte was inspired with Garrigue.
20th April, 2009
excitedly sniffing my wrist as I booted up the laptop, I was all set to drop the bombshell that this was a stepchild of Green Irish Tweed. Well, the inimitable Vibert got there first. And I'm behind his review all the way.
However, dirtier though it may be, it lacks the longevity of the Creed kin. Also, topnotes are similar, but it's development isn't as aldehyde-y as the Creed, and for that I'm happy. An image comes to mind of the faceless drones in Pink Floyd's "The Wall." They might look slightly different, but it's really more of the same.
So, overall, it's not bad, but in my opinion, it's just banal. With that assessment, it should be said that I have higher standards for the "niche" offerings than their mass-market kith.
Thus, with some trepidation for coat-tailing on a master, I give this a neutral. Come on MPG, I love your line. You can do better than this.
16th November, 2008

Add your review of Garrigue

Shop for Garrigue products online

Shop for Garrigue at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Garrigue

Member images of Garrigue

There are no member images of Garrigue yet. Why not be the first?