Gendarme V (2000)

Gendarme V Fragrance Notes

Gendarme V information

Gendarme V is a men's fragrance by Gendarme. The scent was launched in 2000

Reviews of Gendarme V

Showing 1 to 6 of 19 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

They didnít bother with top notes on this one. How radical is that? You have to wait for the blast of undisguised rubbing alcohol to wear off before you can enjoy the punchy basil/tarragon herbal accord Gendarme V has to offer. I havenít smelled a more literal rendition of these culinary herbs since MaÓtre Parfumeur et Gantierís salad dressing fantasy BaÔme, and while itís an appealing effect in both cases, itís not necessarily something I want to wear.

As Gendarme V develops the anisic/licorice aspect of its herbal notes grows more conspicuous, in contrast to a sharp, tart citrus accord. Iíd love to smell the listed civet note, since it would add depth and warmth to the composition while counteracting the salad dressing vibe, but itís not registering for me at all. The basil ultimately outlasts the citrus, which isnít saying much, since the whole scent runs its course inside of two hours. My final call? For an herbal, anisic citrus scent, youíre better off with Eau de Rochas or Annick Goutalís Eau du Sud.

14 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2014)

rogalal's avatar

Ostensibly, this smells like soap. But it's got orange blossom and a touch of neroli dancing on top of a white soap smell, so it's quite floral - it reminds me of gold Dial soap, a smell that I really enjoy, hence the thumbs up.

This floral soap takes place on top of a warm-body-in-a-shower smell that's weirdly salty. Honestly, this shower body trick has become a bit of a cliche nowadays, but V deserves some sort of credit for jumping the bandwagon early.

As much as I'm unimpressed by the body smell, it works as a clever foil for the soap smell, and I REALLY like that soap smell...

09 June, 2014

Orpheus99's avatar

Smells like clean soap. Fresh. Light. Too light. Not bad, but not good. Soap is cheaper.

04 August, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

I just don't like these notes, except for the civet, which is done well here. I'll give it a neutral because I can't think of anything "wrong" with it, but it's definitely not the kind of fragrance I enjoy these days. I find the anise to be strong and not pleasant here, but I do like Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, so that leads me to believe that it's just the combination here that doesn't work for me, rather than the fragrance being "bad" in any way.

18 January, 2011

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

To me this was all about biting into a green apple. Ultimately, this is not the kind of enjoyment I seek when wearing a fragrance. Civet in the note list of this? HA HA!! Quite a joke. This is all about smelling clean (and undaring) and therefore, for the ones who can't have a third or fourth shower during the day due to time constraints...

27 July, 2010

Redbeard's avatar

The opening of V is rather remarkable for its fizz and effervescence. Gradually, it becomes evident that this is merely a prelude to a rather dusty rose, or whatever heavy florals one finds in the genre of Ungaro III, Van Cleef and Arpels, or Czech and Speake #88. Masculine rose scents never really do anything for me personally, so I would never buy this stuff. Still, if a fan of those brands wanted a slightly more summery analog for his collection, then Gendarme V might be a good place to start the search.

13 June, 2010