Genghis Khan (1990)

Year of Launch1990

HouseMarc de la Morandiere
PackagingSerge Mansau

About Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan is a masculine fragrance by Marc de la Morandiere. The scent was launched in 1990 and the bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Genghis Khan fragrance notes

Reviews of Genghis Khan

My take is what's within the mongol cauldron looking bottle <vintage> and will forever be associated with hyenas and a certain virtual persona of prolific posting prowess...

It is quite spicy. Clove, nutmeg and other kitchen spices. The backbone, though, seems a rum-like-sweetened resinous amber. It projects as much as I care for it to, even under clothing, and it lasts.

Bijan, Old Spice, Havana, Moschino pH, MPG Eau des Iles, Davidoff '84, Edition... these come to mind when I wear GK. Common aspects to a degree, though on the whole I'd say it's rather unique.
21st December, 2017
Stardate 20170818:

Reformulated EDP version in the old style bottle:

I do not know how different this is from the vintage but AFAIK the EDP in old style bottle is pretty close to original.

I sought this one out cause it is liked by many and is hyped. I must say this is one of the bigger disappointments I have had in this hobby.
Starts out with spices but then a discordant sour note emerges and destroys it. After a while the sourness subsides giving way to spices,patch and some sweet amber.
All in all a pretty average fragrance. Definitely not worth the price.
Neutral to Thumbs down.
18th August, 2017
Natural and mature, but not so macho that a younger 30's guy couldn't pull it off if he enjoyed it. Definitely get the incense and pine. Then just a touch of sweetness throughout and the patchouli kicks in, giving that old school, diversified-investment guy vibe.
18th February, 2017
This review is of the ORIGINAL formulation.
Somehow I never got around to rating this. It is one of my favorite fragrances. It is hard to describe or break down, A Chypre woody, spicy, green opening screaming testosterone, and pillaging villages. I haven't smelled the reformulated version, but BOTH are listed for sale on Marc's website so they must be different enough that they give you a choice in purchasing either one.
27th June, 2016
Like it, but don't love it. Genghis Khan kicks off with a pretty standard 80's woody chypre top, a crowded blast of bergamot, lavender, greens, and something kind of lemony that feels simultaneously woody and mentholated. Powerhouse fanatics will swoon while others will just find it kind of dated in its roughness. This eventually gives way to sandalwood, though the topnotes stick around to flavor it. Later in the day, as the topnotes recede, the sandalwood gets paired up with a slug of galbanum.

All in all, I've enjoyed Genghis Khan, but haven't really been won over. When I want a rough powerhouse, I want a rough powerhouse, so I'd go with Bijan for Men or something similar before this. As for retro sandalwood chypres, this can't hold a candle to Santal Noble. I'll still vote a thumbs up, but without much enthusiasm...
04th December, 2015
A fresh spicy opening that is a little bit soapy starts this fragrance off. Soon enough a herbal sour note makes a appearance and melds with the above.

In the basenotes and once the fresh spiciness diminishes the scent becomes dry and arid from the vetiver that now dominates.

This fragrance has character and is unusual in the way the notes come together. I can smell lots of pine and cloves that is offset by lots of other notes. Thumbs up!
06th September, 2015

Add your review of Genghis Khan

Shop for Genghis Khan products online

Member images of Genghis Khan

There are no member images of Genghis Khan yet. Why not be the first?