Gillette Cool Wave (1993)
by Gillette Series

Gillette Cool Wave information

Year of Launch1993

HouseGillette Series
Parent CompanyProcter & Gamble > Gillette
Parent Company at launchGillette

About Gillette Cool Wave

Gillette Cool Wave is a masculine fragrance by Gillette Series. The scent was launched in 1993

Reviews of Gillette Cool Wave

The truth is, I am not convinced that Basenotes should ignore aftershaves in the context of additions to the directory. I am glad that this one is up there. I emptied out 3 ml from my bottle today, post a Sunday afternoon shave. I actually used it as a scent itself. This is the prototype fresh citrus-woods-musk, with a hint of some green and aquatic elements. Very fresh, bracing, with a subtle herbaceous undercurrent and leathery nuances. It has a reasonable oomph for an aftershave, and persists at well over three hours. There is a vague mossy element in the far dry down, together with a musk note. The first half hour is almost glorious, but even thereafter it continues to provide satisfaction. Yes, this can effectively be layered with fresh fougeres and chypres. I have myself done that successfully with vintage Cool Water. However, I've fallen for the simple charm of Cool Wave, and often prefer to wear it just by itself. Relative to the price and quality of other personal fragrances, the price of Cool Wave is surreal. I purchased a 100 ml bottle at about $6. I actually prefer the splash -
precisely because I can splash it on with abandon. One of those simple pleasures of life.

01st October, 2017
I love the top notes of this. Super masculine, cool and refreshing. When it dries down to it's final stage though, it's this really heavy mossy scent (I'm assuming) and that's all there is to it. On me it's really rough, dry, and not really pleasant at all.
A lot of people are saying how old school this aftershave is. Is this really how a lot of men's fragrances were back in the day?
I can appreciate other tough dry downs like Trussardi Uomo and Drakkar Noir, but this stuff doesn't have enough going on to make the dry down enjoyable.

Top notes are awesome, then it gets a little drier but still masculine, then it just gets rough and dry. Not how I want to smell.
But maybe it's just how it interacts with my skin or maybe it's a great scent that I can't appreciate due my inexperience with that era's fragrances.
I give it a neutral rating.
19th August, 2017
Have to add my praise for this humble gem, as it's been my daily aftershave for 15 years or so. I love its sporty start and the way it lies down so quickly (one of my main requirements for an aftershave). But the key for me is the woodsy and tobacco qualities it has as it lies down--a lingering comfort that just exudes freshness, confidence and masculinity. It also works great as a complement to a host of other scents--it's usually the base for anything else I wear. I actually prefer the gel version, as the splash is a bit alcohol-heavy for my skin. And oddly enough, it's this drugstore frag, more than any other cologne I've worn, that solicits comments of appreciation and inquiries about what I'm wearing. Not bad for $2.99 a bottle...
22nd March, 2014
gillette cool wave is a wonderful masculine refreshing scent with a hint of moss and leather. it is by far the best of the drugstore after shaves i have tried.
09th February, 2014
Theo Show all reviews
This is a great smelling aftershave/fragrance, and more and more I have been getting beaten down by frags that are too sweet and cloying (usually the ones picked for me by females). I really appreciate masculine fragrances that can be dry, mossy and woodsy and Cool Wave does that for me. At less than $5 a bottle at Walmart, it is a bargain! It says that it's made in France on the bottle, as well, which I found interesting. I always receive compliments when wearing this from both sexes. I completely agree with Slayerized's comments about layering with other frags. I'm getting ready to go buy another bottle!
11th November, 2012
This is for me the best aftershave one can buy when looking to quality to price!
The previous reviews of eg. Grottola and Shamu are spot on and I have little to add to those perfect reviews! This is a masculine very fresh-mossy longlasting aftershave. It doesn't have that much sillage anymore after 1 hour but it keeps lingering close to the skin for many hours more indeed when splashed on liberally!
I could get some new versions of this gem in Germany and looking at the text on the bottle and fragrance which is only in German and Russian, I think it's launched here in Europe just for some specific countries; eg. here in The Netherlands it's impossible to get. I also did not see it in Belgium, France or Spain where I am frequently. I therefor bought 400ml of this stuff which was €3.75 a bottle of 100ml!
I also own a vintage which is very old and there are some remarkable differences. Mainly as my vintage says it does NOT contain any alcohol and the new ones do. Nevertheless do they smell pretty much the same and are equally long lasting with equal sillage as well. The only difference is that the vintage is maybe even more mossy and the new one is more fresher but it's just a minor difference imo. This is how an aftershave must be! This aftershave is also perfect for layering with many fresh/fougere/aquatic fragrances like Revillon R, Cool Water, Azzaro Chrome. Bvlgari Aqva (Marine) etc. Many thumbs up and regarding it's an aftershave it deserves a perfect rating! Rated: 10/10
10th September, 2012

Add your review of Gillette Cool Wave

Shop for Gillette Cool Wave products online

Search Amazon for Gillette Cool Wave

Member images of Gillette Cool Wave

There are no member images of Gillette Cool Wave yet. Why not be the first?