Giorgio for Men (1984)

SupplierPFW Paris
Parent CompanyElizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchGiorgio Beverly Hills

About Giorgio for Men

Was discontinued for several years but relaunched by new GBH owners, Elizabeth Arden.

Giorgio for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Giorgio for Men

Giorgio for Men, WOW! I am so glad I finally picked this classic up and gave it a try. If you are a powerhouse lover, this is a powerhouse in every sense of the word. I cannot understand how some men can give this anything other than a thumbs up rating.

This is NOT for the 'sport', 'aquatic' or 'modern' scent dudes. If you like trendy scents, store branded scents, unisex scents, this is also NOT for you. If you are happy with a cologne that only lasts a few hours or enjoy being 'subtle' and 'safe', this is NOT for you.

This is for the serious fragrance collector who wants to smell completely different from everyone else wherever they may find themselves. This masterpiece is for someone who is bold, confident, and undoubtedly, uncompromisingly masculine.

The top notes on this from the initial blast are somewhat harsh and weird. Citrus, lemon, honey, lavender and greens all hit you with a massive slap in the face, and at this time I honestly was frightened at the smell thinking this is awful. Then I thought, wait a minute, the BEST fragrances tend to start off a bit strange at first, let it develop.

Within fifteen minutes, the jasmine, patchouli and cinnamon musk notes began to come out, and I could tell something special was in my hands. Nothing prepared me for the beauty of this drydown. Over the next hour, the citrus notes settle down, a rich and deep leathery patchouli note comes in, which, matched to the dark and somewhat sweet tones of lavender, honey, jasmine and gardenia, is absolutely breathtaking.

The middle notes carry on this theme or rich leather, patchouli, greens, honey and jasmine with such complexity for an extremely long period of time. I could never imagine a fragrance that costs so little would be so amazing. Giorgio for Men continuously projects and lingers for hours and hours, yet maintains such a complex and well crafted blend of masculinity.

The base of patchouli, jasmine and musk carry on for what seems an eternity. This is by far one of the strongest fragrances I have ever encountered. I have YSL's Kouros, I have Ted Lapidus' original Lapidus, I have tried A*Men, Joop, D&G Homme, JPG's Le Male and plenty of other nuclear powered colognes. And I can tell you, Giorgio for Men is right up there towards the top of the list.

With a liberal application, I am getting about 12-15 hours of longevity, with absolutely monstrous sillage and massive projection the whole way through. After that, it plays closer to the skin and gives you a natural manly scent that you will leave on pillows long after you have left. It stays on clothes for days and days. I smelled it on me after a shower and throughout a day at the pool. This juice is extremely potent and powerful.

For the price, you simply cannot beat this masculine fragrance, every serious collector and gentleman should have several bottles of this in this closet. This immediately went into my top ten colognes of all time. Do yourself a huge favor and pick this up. You won't regret it.
22nd April, 2016
ad_scott Show all reviews
For the price, the quantity and quality is very good indeed. Honey, patchouli and amber dominance.
Superb sillage and longevity - lingers on the shirt collar the following morning! Comes in an attractive bottle too. An all-rounder for any occasion but leans more on the casual side. Important to note: only 2-3 sprays maximum as it's quite potent albeit a classic.
18th April, 2016
I love Giorgio! Takes me right back to the 80s! Something about it's patchouli heavy/powdery/plasticky scent conjures up all the excesses of that era. It's like an old person's dream of what luxury is. The only other scent it recalls for me is Jean Nate' (what ladies wore in gallons in the 60s and 70s when they wanted to smell ritzy!).
11th March, 2016
I've been enjoying a vintage sample, and this is a great men's fragrance. The opening, for me, is slightly challenging, but it's worth it for the mid and base, a lightly sweet patchouli.
18th February, 2016
Givenchy Gentleman's brash young stepbrother who moved and fit into the U.S. jet setters scene.When this came out everyone in my peer group, climbed aboard Virgin's 747-200. I stayed lost in the Concorde years.
My latest taste of this confirms it will always be one of the greats!!
07th February, 2016
I'm addicted to Giorgio. I had a bottle years ago and gave it away, feeling I had enough patchouli scents (as if). On impulse I bought another for $15 and I keep gravitating toward it instead of my bottles that cost 8 times as much. It's a fresh, sweet honey rose patchouli that lasts a good while and dries down to a soapy, leathery musk. The treacly, medicinal combination of honey and patchouli with an inedible swampiness reminds me of what used to draw me to Angel. The absence of oakmoss in newer bottles doesn't bother me, as this makes the drydown less dated and powdery. On top of that, I love the yellow and white striped Giorgio 80s *persona*, and there are multiple bottles of GBH on Xander Berkeley's sink in Todd Haynes's SAFE, my favorite film. I get panics about Elizabeth Arden discontinuing this even though there are enough bottles of it in circulation to perfume the entire country for decades. It's like, what if I'm suddenly plunged into poverty and can only spend $20 a year on fragrance? I'd definitely choose Giorgio.
02nd October, 2015