Givenchy Gentleman (1974)

HouseGivenchy
PerfumerPaul Lèger
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Givenchy Gentleman

A classic fragrance with a stylish mix of Vetiver, Patchouli and Leathery notes.

Givenchy Gentleman fragrance notes

Reviews of Givenchy Gentleman

At first, I did like its greenish, classic quality.

But I had noticed several people (notably *women* ;^o) who had winced in disgust as I'd passed by them.

Then my own opinion changed: It just smells so....gaudy! Perhaps it's a body chemistry thing. In the same class as YSL pour Homme (1993), Givenchy Gentleman is definitely not for younger wearers; it smacks me now as a retro fragrance for formal occasions. Can't do it, captain. ;^I
18th March, 2017
"You smell like an old, nasty soap!" were the words directly from my wife's mouth after applying Givenchy Gentleman. I kind of agree with her. This one does sort of smell like "an old, nasty soap." I don't know what's occurred as a result of reformulations, but I get very little warmth and sweetness in the newest iteration of Givenchy Gentleman. Instead I get a very dry, acrid patchouli bomb, with a shrill floral note that seems like geranium and rose and a bad attempt at leather. It smells outdated also, though that's not really my issue with it. It just smells bad to me; like something I'm going to put on and annoy everybody with thoughts of "the cologne guy" and such a stereotypical, played out masculine chypre sort of smell. The notes and accords feel flat and compressed, and it all comes across sort of cold and heartless...and 70's. Not my thing. Thumbs down.
28th January, 2017
Stardate 20161207:

A great masculine.
Honey and patchouli mixed right.
I also get some flowers(rose maybe or carnation).
The animalic civet is done perfectly here.
I do not like overpowering civet (Furyo is ruined for me because of civet) but in here civet plays very nice with others.

Get it. The vintage version of course

07th December, 2016
"And speaking of schools, yes, Givenghy Gentleman is definitely the epitome of old-school. It's actually so old-school, that I guess it was already the headmaster of the powerhouse school when lads like Kouros and Antaeus entered first grade"

This is the solid truth.I know because I was there in the mid 70's.
Big Daddy for the Patchouli bombs of the 80's.
First few years it had an ample dose of real Civet.
By 1993 it had paled. Today's, well, why bother.
Glory years were 1974-1984. Vintage all the way with this one.
02nd April, 2016
This is a good one, and the base of the vintage is assuring. I'm tempted to procure a full bottle when I finish the mini.

This perfume is known colloquially as a patchouli-civet bomb.
02nd April, 2016
Divine !!

A chameleon of warmth till the end - that is, if you have the strength to allow those bewitched top notes to tame down.

Perpetual - arrogantly well-bred - Beyond classic !

Experience required !!