Givenchy Gentleman (1974)

HouseGivenchy
PerfumerPaul Lèger
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Givenchy Gentleman

A classic fragrance with a stylish mix of Vetiver, Patchouli and Leathery notes. Reorchestrated in 2017.

Givenchy Gentleman fragrance notes

Reviews of Givenchy Gentleman

I'd coasted by for a while with only Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men in my collection, but kept hearing about his older brother Givenchy Gentleman. Unlike Giorgio it's taken me some time and bargain hunting to find a vintage bottle of Gentleman I didnt have to pay an arm and a leg for, but my patience paid off and it finally arrived yesterday.

On first sniff I actually couldn't believe how close it was to Giorgio, but the devil really is in the details and a side-by-side comparison brought out the salient differences. Gentleman is Giorgio pitched down, with gorgeous hints of cinnamon and tarragon not present in the latter, a slightly darker leathery feel, and a touch of that funky French 70s musk you get in fragrances like Lagerfeld. It also feels ever-so-slightly more soapy / waxy / aldehydic than Giorgio. The hint of sweet benzoin in Giorgio's base is absent, making Gentleman feel a little drier. Although all these differences are clearly master strokes, the added complexity comes at the cost of making Gentleman's drydown a little less green smelling than Giorgio, which still comes out on top for sheer, unalloyed patchouli oakmoss power. Still, given the decade or so that separates the two fragrances, there's not really any question as to who the big daddy is.

A classic gem and a must-have for powerhouse patchouli lovers.
28th September, 2017
Note: Review is of the vintage version (wraparound label)

Givenchy Gentleman, in its vintage form, is perhaps my favourite patchouli, together with Nicolai's. I find most 'straightforward' or 'hardcore' patchouli fragrances nice but tiresome. Additionally, one can achieve as good an aromatic effect by simply choosing a quality patchouli EO. Givenchy Gentleman takes patchouli, and creates a magnificent accord with civet. The civet adds a generous dose of sensuality, while providing a leathery aspect. The composition is further embellished with touches of aromatic herbs (tarragon) and spices (cinnamon). The result is an incredible composition, as solid and deep as a Brahms sonata. While it stays on skin for six to seven hours, there is adequate sillage to conclude a special experience. There is absolutely nothing like this on the market today: old school elegance, rarefied, forceful but with a gentlemanly demeanour. Familiar ingredients, but masterful abstraction and brimming with intelligence and emotion. Sometimes I get a touch of honey, with the composition hinting at a quality, aged Scotch.

Note: The current version of this has experience a significant loss in quality. Not only does it feel less rich and layered, there is only a brief burst of what feels like a second grade version, before paving way to a weak dry down that lasts all of two hours.

4.5/5 vintage (positive)

2.5/5 current, circa 2013 (neutral)

04th September, 2017
Avoid the current formulation at all costs, vintage 1970's is the only way to go with Gentleman, one of my favorite powerhouses of all time.
23rd June, 2017
At first, I did like its greenish, classic quality.

But I had noticed several people (notably *women* ;^o) who had winced in disgust as I'd passed by them.

Then my own opinion changed: It just smells so....gaudy! Perhaps it's a body chemistry thing. In the same class as YSL pour Homme (1993), Givenchy Gentleman is definitely not for younger wearers; it smacks me now as a retro fragrance for formal occasions. Can't do it, captain. ;^I
18th March, 2017
"You smell like an old, nasty soap!" were the words directly from my wife's mouth after applying Givenchy Gentleman. I kind of agree with her. This one does sort of smell like "an old, nasty soap." I don't know what's occurred as a result of reformulations, but I get very little warmth and sweetness in the newest iteration of Givenchy Gentleman. Instead I get a very dry, acrid patchouli bomb, with a shrill floral note that seems like geranium and rose and a bad attempt at leather. It smells outdated also, though that's not really my issue with it. It just smells bad to me; like something I'm going to put on and annoy everybody with thoughts of "the cologne guy" and such a stereotypical, played out masculine chypre sort of smell. The notes and accords feel flat and compressed, and it all comes across sort of cold and heartless...and 70's. Not my thing. Thumbs down.
28th January, 2017
Stardate 20161207:

A great masculine.
Honey and patchouli mixed right.
I also get some flowers(rose maybe or carnation).
The animalic civet is done perfectly here.
I do not like overpowering civet (Furyo is ruined for me because of civet) but in here civet plays very nice with others.

Get it. The vintage version of course

07th December, 2016