Good Life (1998)

HouseDavidoff
PerfumerPierre Bourdon
PackagingSerge Mansau

About Good Life

The note of Fig Leaf runs throughout the top, middle and basenotes of this fragrance.
In some countries Goodlife was discontinued less than a year after its launch, though it remains popular in others.

Reviews of Good Life

It is the Good Life... A classic fragrance - no more...

I am a huge fan of the Davidoff fragrances - I have many in my collection nearing 500 bottles (ok - I guess I am a little OCD..). In addition to being one of my favorite names, the Good Life is one of my favorite Davidoff fragrances. The juice is good - too bad it has been discontinued. I am glad I have 3/4 a bottle that is only used sporadically. The Good Life is truly a pleasant blend of amber, citrus, floral, and sandalwood notes that settles into a herbal, almost grassy", and woodsy fragrance that is fresh and easy on the nose. The longevity and projection/sillage are average, or slightly above average. The "Wow Factor" (comments from the opposite sex) exists - I have had more comments wearing other fragrances, but Good Life has great potential. You will get noticed. While I would feel comfortable wearing Good Life during any season, perhaps Autumn or Spring are ideal. Additionally, Good Life offers versatility that it can be worn day or night or for any occasion.

The bottle and packaging are first class. I am especially fond of the bottle - clear and designed that portrays class. Well done Davidoff.

Now... The rest of the story... The downside is that Good Life has been discontinued. That said, a check of online pricing reveals that if you want some of the Good Life - you will pay a premium.

Final tally for Good Life is 4.1 stars out of a possible 5. Everything about this fragrance is great with the exception of the price/value. If you can find it at a reasonable price, I definitely recommend adding to your collection.

Daily I.M - Today is an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. Do the right thing..!!
09th April, 2014
I had a torrid affair with this scent when it came out in 1998. I thought it was one of the best green scents ever. However, as much as I loved the fig and the lightness of the scent overall, the synthetic grassiness began to get to me. It was like walking through fields of Elysium--but in Tartarus. The grassiness just wouldn't stop. It was like something you couldn't get away from. I finally had to break off the relationship, so to speak. But, like a shooting star, it was beautiful and burned brightly while it lasted. And even now, I get a bit wistful and nostalgic about it.
24th March, 2014
Pretty good everyday scent. Kind of reminds me of Calvin Kliein Eternity but this smells slightly better. Nice fig scent.
04th January, 2013 (last edited: 20th October, 2014)
I've worn this since the year of launch and continue to wear it. The most obvious notes are the grapefruit, melon and fig leaf. The fig leaf stays until the very end. During the dry down, the magnolia comes through and then finally the amber and sandalwood add a masculine sweetness worth waiting for. Just a little sweet, but still dark and warmer than you would expect from the green and citrusy opening.

I first wore this on a warm afternoon in Palm Springs. It will always remind be of drinking a gin and tonic by the pool and then moving slowly into town for a nice dinner on an 82 degree night. That move from fresh and crisp to warm and elegant is how this fragrance evolves over a period of 4-5 hours.

Sillage is decent. Perfect for me, as I typically don't want to overwhelm anyone with the scent but instead want to just share it between me and my wife. One spray is all you need. In fact, I will sometimes spray that single spray from quite a distance to keep it light.

My only gripe is that it begins a little synthetically. But this is a go-to for me when I want a clean, green, elegant scent.
20th September, 2012
Good Life probably represents a line in the sand for Davidoff.You can see obvious decline in the company's output from this fragrance onwards.

It is not to say that this is an awful experience, but large passages of the fig-centric Good Life feel contrived and synthetic. Although I am generally ambivalent about the use of the fig note, I remain convinced that better examples of it can be found elsewhere.
06th April, 2011
Definetely the best Davidoff's fragrance. Green, refreshing, simple. Nothing stuffy. The greatest figgy composition I've ever smelt. Also slightly sweet, but completely different from any nowaday's aquatic scent. It exhales some class. Maybe that's why It has never attracted younger crowds. I had owned a bottle back in 98 and decided to buy It again. The only thing I can complain about my new acquisition: The bottle's cap seems cheaper than it used to be. And It doesn't bring Davidoff's signature printed anymore.
15th July, 2010

Add your review of Good Life

Shop for Good Life products online

Search Amazon for Good Life

Member images of Good Life

There are no member images of Good Life yet. Why not be the first?