Grapefruit (1992)

HouseJo Malone London
PerfumerJo Malone
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Grapefruit

Grapefruit is a shared / unisex perfume by Jo Malone London. The scent was launched in 1992 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jo Malone

Reviews of Grapefruit

I did one of those fun "what should your signature scent be?" quizzes online, and the result I got was actually "Grapefruit" cologne by Jo Malone! :D So, just for laughs, I got a sample of it to try!
Yesterday I tried my sample of "Mure et Musc" by L'Artisan Parfumeur, and I have to say that wearing "Grapefruit" by Jo Malone is a huge relief by direct comparison! To my nose, "Mure et Musc" smells like a hundred strawberry shortcakes were bottled and made into a perfume, and I found that a bit headache inducing! Just wearing "Grapefruit" is actually refreshing by comparison! It's a very light, bright, sparkling, lively and invigorating scent! I actually think it is pretty nice on it's own, although yes, like Mushroom said, this whole fragrance line is made for layering!
That said, although I do enjoy the scent of this cologne, I think I would probably like it on a guy more than on myself. It is actually a more masculine citrus scent. Personally, on myself, I prefer wearing the Pink Grapefruit EDT from The Body Shop. It's a much prettier and more feminine grapefruit scent than Jo Malone's is. This one is mostly a sour and savory herbal scent, whereas "Pink Grapefruit" from The Body Shop has flowery and sweet notes added, making it a prettier scent. However, if what you want is a masculine or more unisex grapefruit, then yes, you probably want to check this one out! (Plus, Jo Malone probably has sweeter scents you could layer this with as well!)
Overall it is a very nice, pleasant smelling fragrance, and I definitely give it a thumbs up! It's worth trying at least once if you're a fan of citrus and sporty scents at all!
19th December, 2015
Tony T Show all reviews
Staright up grapefruit

I have only a sample and thank God!!

Ok spring scent better suited for females..

The scent starts heavy and ends light after about 2 hours..

True to it's name to say the least..

Pros: tolerable
Cons: poor longevity"

28th October, 2013
Kicks off with a few minutes of artificially sweetened grapefruit before ending up as a mix of citruses - to my nose mostly sweet mandarin and bergamot with lemon verbena for a subtle piquancy. It fades after a couple of hours, leaving a vague smudge of orange blossom, but this is basically all topnotes.

I personally think that the Jo Malone line gets short changed a lot by fragrance aficionados who miss that most of the later works (especially those by Christine Nagel) are fully-realized perfumes with tops, middles, and basenotes. Grapefruit, however, is not. Oh well.
09th January, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
Grapefruit pretty pure on me, with a bit of wood added in the drydown. A mature grapefruit, with no prominent freshness on me. A straightforward scent, poor silage on me with a longevity of about two hours.
28th September, 2012
mushroom Show all reviews
I think a lot of Jo Malone's scents are misunderstood - they are rarely best worn alone, but layered with another, maybe 2 other of the scents. They are all designed to work together, and believe me, try the Blue Agava & Cacao with the Grapefruit, and you will get a completely different, beautiful fragrance.

Both these scents do not do much alone, but together are fantastic. I get so many compliments when wearing these, even strangers in shops stopping me and asking me what scent I am wearing. The only negative thing I can say about Jo Malone is for an expensive brand, they do not have the same staying power as other perfumes in the same price range.
20th July, 2012
The opening to this is very grassy and citric, think of a freshly peeled tangerine. It also may even come off as a spicy lemon but I suppose it's the grapefruit. If I had a way of describing the scent as the heart notes blend with the base, I'd say that this is a mix between D&G Masculine and Aramis Tuscany. Imagine the citrus wood base of D&G Masculine under the spicy, mossy, woodiness in Tuscany. It's clean yet spicy. Projection is moderate and longevity is around 6-8 hours. I wouldn't go as far as dubbing this unisex neither. It's far too spicy and woody for a female, or at least I would say. Although I encourage any age to wear what they'd like, I'd d=say this is ideal for an older gentleman 35+. My final rating B-
12th May, 2011

Add your review of Grapefruit

Shop for Grapefruit products online

Shop for Grapefruit at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Grapefruit

Member images of Grapefruit

There are no member images of Grapefruit yet. Why not be the first?