Green Irish Tweed (1985)

PerfumerPierre Bourdon
PerfumerOlivier Creed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Green Irish Tweed

Green Irish Tweed is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1985 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Olivier Creed and Pierre Bourdon

Green Irish Tweed fragrance notes

Reviews of Green Irish Tweed

I can remember pretty much every detail of my first experience with this because it was that significant to me. I bought it blind, mail order and it was one of the 30ml bottles (they no longer do) because my budget couldn’t stretch any further. I’d read numerous articles relating the names of famous wearers and thought ‘this must be some good shit’.

I’d had it delivered to work but left early the previous day so missed it arriving. On my way in the following morning, I stopped by the post room and picked up the package. I was a smoker at the time so made my way to the area designated for toxic outlaws like me and as it was still early, there was nobody else around. I hastily got the box open stopping only for a moment to admire the bottle and cap. In an instant I got the first spray out onto the back of my hand, held my hand up to my nose and everything changed. Everything I thought I knew about fragrance went out of the window in one breath. I’d never smelled anything of this quality before. Did I expect it to have a Cool Water vibe? Of course I did but I never expected anything quite as incredible as this. Multi-faceted, layered, complex and yet transparent, refined and reserved. It almost shouts politely.

To say there is no difference between this and Cool Water is pure ignorance. The two are undeniably similar but it’s the detail. It’s like comparing a fake Rolex to the real thing. At first glance they may look identical but on closer examination, the differences become not only apparent but blatantly obvious.

To date this is my favourite Creed. I went on to try Millisime Imperial, loved it but wasn’t bowled over by how light it was. I then went for Royal Water, also nice but it just didn’t seem like something I would wear.

I’ve sampled others; Erolfa, Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Original Santal (and of those Silver Mountain Water and Himalaya stand out the most as being truly excellent) but none of them had the same effect on me as Green Irish Tweed.

Is it Green? Yes. Irish? God knows. Tweed? Utter nonsense. Who cares??

I recently revisited with a new bottle and there has been a change for sure and I think it’s the Peppermint that stands out in the current version. Never-the-less it still has that thing about it that just does it for me.

To date, and after some 20+ years of being a fragance enthusiast, this remains my Holy Grail fragrance, the one I’d take to the desert island if I had to pick only one and it wouldn’t even be a hard choice. That may change but it’s about 15 years since I first smelled this and nothing has even come close since.

To liken it to others; yes there’s Cool Water, also Freshman by Truefitt and Hill but it is the quality of this that really stands it apart.
02nd December, 2019
Love this fragrance. I held of purchasing for some time... partly due to the price point, but also due to the multiple Cool Water comparisons. Forking out good money for an upmarket version of my daily driver from the days I was young, dumb and broke would have been an expensive step backwards for me.

I had a colleague convince me to take the plunge with Green Irish Tweed and couldn't be happier with my choice.

I am a relative fragrance novice just starting to build my collection, but the Cool Water comparison... I do get it, but it's a rather superficial similarity. For me, Green Irish Tweed legitimately lives up to its reputation.

My only advice for a fellow novice - this won't be a compliment monster for most people, so if that's your motivation for increasing your budget for a niche fragrance (or a high quality mass market fragrance, depending on how you see Creed), then there are better choices available for significantly lower price points.

Having said that, to me the subtlety isn't a weakness, it's one of the great strengths of the composition. It's low key, understated, complex and nuanced whilst having a lot of strength and depth. It puts a smile on my face and reflects who I'd like to be, so for me this fragrance is absolutely worth the dubloons. Emphatic thumbs up.
26th October, 2019 (last edited: 05th November, 2019)
I was really looking to enjoy this one, but the hype simply isn't worth dropping the coin on a bottle of well constructed Coolwater by Davidoff.

I'm very sorry that this came first and Coolwater was very "inspired" by GIT, but I can't justify a ~$300 purchase of something that smells so similar to a very prominent, widely distributed, hugely popular $30 scent.

The Neutral rating is due to the name; there is nothing about this fragrance that invokes Irish scenery, Green scenery, or Tweed style perfumery. I get Fresh, Aquatic, and Clean. Maybe this should be called Fresh River Dance?
08th September, 2019
hcr Show all reviews
Irish Spring for a few minutes, Cool Water for a few hours, and then the beautiful, lovely Creed base for many hours more-into the next day, however very subtle. Good smell, any occasion, not worth the cost and a little dated now.
04th July, 2019
Leshutch Show all reviews
I don't get the Creed hype - it's not deserved. I have both this and Aventus and I just don't like the over chemically note that runs through them. This doesn't smell tweed, Old or Irish-like.
10th June, 2019
I love this fragrance, but I feel like I'm a couple decades too young to actually wear it. Creed is great at naming things and they nailed it with this one, as it invokes middle-aged college professor or an old gentleman walking down the Irish coast.

And it's fitting, because it opens up pleasantly aquatic, not the rolling glens of Ireland but its rocky coastlines. Fresh and slightly salty (though not as much as the Millesime Imperial), but its freshness feels "old" and natural like a slow-growing moss. As it dries it never loses that character, which makes it a bit more linear than a lot of fragrances, but the smell is so nice you don't want it to transform too much. Even the ambergris at the base recalls our dark mother, the ocean.

Unfortunately the things that make it so nice also seem to cage it off for men in certain age groups or settings. Its sophisticated fresh mustiness simply doesn't work so well with younger people hanging out with people their own age. Luckily, Creed also has them covered with scents like Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial. I still find reasons to wear it though, when I want something different or just want to smell the lovely stuff for a while.

I'm not sure why the bottles are all-black, but at least that works way better than the tasteless all-gold bottle of Millesime Imperial that is probably right next to it.
03rd May, 2019

Add your review of Green Irish Tweed

Shop for Green Irish Tweed products online

Shop for Green Irish Tweed at online perfumeries

Creed Green Irish Tweed Eau de Parfum Spray 2,5 fl.oz. (see photo)

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 9:55:14 PST

Pick A Cologne Body Oil/Perfume Oil Purple 10ml Rollon Scents .Listings # F-P

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 16:45:29 PST
Buy It Now for only: $8.33
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Creed Green Irish Tweed 4oz Brand New Ships Fast!

$42.00 (5 Bids)

CREED GREEN IRISH TWEED - BATCH 15W01 - 5 ML Sample in DELUXE Travel Atomizer

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 17:46:01 PST
Buy It Now for only: $18.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Green Irish Tweed Creed men Perfume Body Oil 1/3 oz. roll-on (1)

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 18:54:38 PST