Greenbriar (1984)

Year of Launch1984

HouseCaswell-Massey
Parent CompanyThe Equitium Group

About Greenbriar

Greenbriar is a masculine fragrance by Caswell-Massey. The scent was launched in 1984

Greenbriar fragrance notes

Reviews of Greenbriar

A soft soap smell. I so not know the exact reason I change my mind over time about particular fragrances, but something told me to give this one another try. I had Greenbrier lying around on my husband's dresser for years, not really likng it but not parting with it either. I was looking for something else to wear and I shopped at my own home. This has happened a lot lately. My age or experience?
I cannot say anything different than what has been mentioned. It is an overall pleasant soapy with a soft dry down that resembles Irish Spring. The lavender gives it an herbal appeal. Greenbrier is fresh, clean, and simple. I keep tryng to look for a fresh new scent. I don't know what is it but contemporary scents have this synthetic, harsh smell. Not Greenbrier, at no time does it dry and reveal notes that are unpleasant.
19th August, 2017
As a child I smelled
The mountain motel's bar soap
Glad to be alive.
01st August, 2017
I've never liked sharp, tweedy scents, finding them abrasive and off-putting. Greenbriar, the original, is one of those scents. The lavender and sage are to my nose offensive and grating.

One of CM's historical scents was called Purple Sage, this being a combo of the lavender and sage that is in Greenbriar, but it was far softer, bracing (yes), but not in your face harsh, as I found the original Greenbriar to be.

If you are looking for a great green scent, Givenchy's III has yet to be topped in my book.

26th February, 2017
I'm giving a thumbs up to the modern Greenbriar. It's really quite nice.

It's got that effect that happens when you add leafy vetiver to neroli and it creates a grassy green aroma that's simultaneously fresh and citrusy (the best known example of this is probably Mugler Cologne). It then places this in an aquatic setting that reminds me of CK One or Chez Bond, in place of the lemon and bergamot these types of scents usually use. The end result is pretty brilliant. You get the modern aquatic freshness with the questionable stuff taken out and replaced by grassy green citrus. No stupid metal smells or fusty violet leaf or dumb melon, just a perfect coming together of two forms of freshness.

My only small complaint is that, especially after a few hours, the grassy neroli mixing with the soapy undertones of the aquatic bits does smell like a fancy version of Irish Spring soap. I would have preferred some Creed-esque ambrox or something in the base to keep things rich, but I guess that's the trade-off you have to expect from a scent that often sells for twenty-something dollars. Personally, I like the Irish Spring smell and don't consider it a problem. In fact, if I ever use up my bottle of Chez Bond, I'd seriously consider replacing it with Greenbriar.
04th April, 2013
I bought it several years ago, but I remember it didn't match with my taste. A sharp and strong mix of herbal effects, but I felt it was terribly unfit for my skin. I do like herbal fragrances, but this one was very heavy and not harmonious. I guess it's the classical EdT you can love or hate, without half-ways. Surely I did not love it at all.
14th October, 2012 (last edited: 27th October, 2012)
My bottle of Greenbriar must be the original formulation, because it smells nothing like Cool Water. Nor was "ozone" (listed on the current packaging) in common use in perfumery in 1984, when Greenbriar was introduced . What it DOES smell like is a much-diluted version of Polo's top and middle notes --- the opening is fresh and green but with an ambery-woody undertone. Instead of Polo's rich tobacco-leather-patchouli base, Greenbriar's drydown is a subtle. smooth, somewhat sweet amber accord that keeps the greens going. It's somewhat reminiscent of Halston 1-12 or Grey Flannel, but softer and more subtle.

Overall, it's quite pleasant, but not nearly as distinctive or long-lasting as one would expect from an 80's fragrance, especially one in the lineage of Polo.
09th July, 2012

Add your review of Greenbriar

Shop for Greenbriar products online

Search Amazon for Greenbriar

Member images of Greenbriar

There are no member images of Greenbriar yet. Why not be the first?