Grey Flannel (1975)

About Grey Flannel

FIFI award winner in 1976

Grey Flannel fragrance notes

Reviews of Grey Flannel

Isn’t it funny how we all react differently to certain scents. I myself have an insane sensitivity to some synthetics and am anosmic to most of Invasion Barbare. I see some people get Pinesol from Grey Flannel. Crazy.

On me, this is a lovely, refined bitter floral: cobalt grey clouds over a green garden. Possible the best masculine drug store cheapie in existence.

It evokes different feelings on different days but my favorite is the rainy day wear: this is what Burberry raincoats should smell like.
18th July, 2019
Like Lysol and Pine-sol in one fragrance. One of the real horrors I've blind-bought. I actually purchased "Eau de Grey Flannel" by mistake at first, thinking it was this, because it was packaged exactly the same. Then I bought this.

It has a lemony citrus top note which hits the nose like an ice-pick. Followed up with some cold, dry pine and few other things. It dries down to nearly nothing in about 30 minutes on skin, maybe 3 hours on fabrics.

This cost me $9 for 4 oz and for that price it's an excellent deodorizer for shoes, gym bags, cat boxes and the like. Especially when combined with its sister-fragrance, the aforementioned Eau de Grey Flannel (see my review of that one). Together they make a far more pleasing scent than either one does on its own.

I wouldn't wear it though.
24th April, 2019
I works great with my metabolism; I get compliments on it. I find that it dries down nicely, not remaining strong too long. (EDT spray.)
15th April, 2019
Brilliant masculine violet. Like a fougère version of Jolie Madame but drier than a private eye's raincoat.

*****
07th December, 2018
We were driving through the Mendocino national forest after a rain with the windows down and my wife remarked how similar the forest smell was to Grey Flannel.
I've used this for years, It's my winter go to scent.
Very long lasting, Little will go a long ways. Scent is Citrus, calming to a soapy cedar. A very clean green scent. I'll ware this until it's discontinued.
24th September, 2018
I was expecting this would be introduced in late 60's to early 70's… not very surprised when I found this actually introduced in 1975.

It is fresh and introvert. A resemblance not found in artistry for quite a while. For the reason I think this is one special 70's artefact with its own unique place. It puts me in the perspective of the 70's and bring feelings like no other vintage creation. This is not a memorial revisit. It stills, not looking over. Being inside, without hurry, counts or timekeeping, not as seen on old movies or documentary.

I think this is "autumn" in mood, but could be OK for winter. I can't imagine how it would feel in spring or summer at the moment.

Coded 6FC1, my bottle dates as 2016 production. What I perceive is fresh florals, with leaves, freshly cut stems and fresh water in the vase. I don't detect any "woody" smell, but some resins. A floral can be worn in a funeral without replicating smoky holy smell customs. Serious, light, handsome. Funny, it reminds me our old washing machine (in its day, not moldy old one) with rinsed 70's detergents inside its polyurethane hoses and PVC paraphernalia. Or a wet bathroom on a cool day. I think since chlor is common in both PVC and chlorophyl, fresh green smells sometimes drawn to the plastics imagery.

I detect no specific development, or a "dry down". But, it is faceted, can be perceived differently depending on olfactory gestalt or memory. I perceive jasmine sometimes but generally nothing specific. Delicate, about to ripen, greeny flowers just like in the nature. Gives a pleasant whiff occasionally and thats it . Well-blended, probably the best executed oakmoss I encountered.

As on many perfumes trying to capture subtle notes longer or stronger than happens in nature there might be some foul note(s) perceived. Probably thats the other reason why I get some plastics. I learned not to stick my nose very close for the first moments. In that regard Grey Flannel reminds me another "pour homme" floral, Caron's "Le 3' Homme". But in my humble opinion Grey Flannel composed much much better, since foul notes are much more prominent on Caron, clashing, and it had been impossible for me not to bother.

This doesn't exactly reflect me to be worn every time but I'm sure will be revisited often.
09th September, 2018 (last edited: 18th September, 2018)

Add your review of Grey Flannel

GREY FLANNEL Geoffrey Beene MEN 4oz/120ml FULL YOUR CHOICE

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 9:33:29 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene Men Cologne 8 oz 4 oz EDT New In Box Sealed Brand

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 10:00:46 PST