Grey Flannel (1975)

About Grey Flannel

FIFI award winner in 1976

Grey Flannel fragrance notes

Reviews of Grey Flannel

Brilliant masculine violet. Like a fougère version of Jolie Madame but drier than a private eye's raincoat.

*****
07th December, 2018
We were driving through the Mendocino national forest after a rain with the windows down and my wife remarked how similar the forest smell was to Grey Flannel.
I've used this for years, It's my winter go to scent.
Very long lasting, Little will go a long ways. Scent is Citrus, calming to a soapy cedar. A very clean green scent. I'll ware this until it's discontinued.
24th September, 2018
I was expecting this would be introduced in late 60's to early 70's… not very surprised when I found this actually introduced in 1975.

It is fresh and introvert. A resemblance not found in artistry for quite a while. For the reason I think this is one special 70's artefact with its own unique place. It puts me in the perspective of the 70's and bring feelings like no other vintage creation. This is not a memorial revisit. It stills, not looking over. Being inside, without hurry, counts or timekeeping, not as seen on old movies or documentary.

I think this is "autumn" in mood, but could be OK for winter. I can't imagine how it would feel in spring or summer at the moment.

Coded 6FC1, my bottle dates as 2016 production. What I perceive is fresh florals, with leaves, freshly cut stems and fresh water in the vase. I don't detect any "woody" smell, but some resins. A floral can be worn in a funeral without replicating smoky holy smell customs. Serious, light, handsome. Funny, it reminds me our old washing machine (in its day, not moldy old one) with rinsed 70's detergents inside its polyurethane hoses and PVC paraphernalia. Or a wet bathroom on a cool day. I think since chlor is common in both PVC and chlorophyl, fresh green smells sometimes drawn to the plastics imagery.

I detect no specific development, or a "dry down". But, it is faceted, can be perceived differently depending on olfactory gestalt or memory. I perceive jasmine sometimes but generally nothing specific. Delicate, about to ripen, greeny flowers just like in the nature. Gives a pleasant whiff occasionally and thats it . Well-blended, probably the best executed oakmoss I encountered.

As on many perfumes trying to capture subtle notes longer or stronger than happens in nature there might be some foul note(s) perceived. Probably thats the other reason why I get some plastics. I learned not to stick my nose very close for the first moments. In that regard Grey Flannel reminds me another "pour homme" floral, Caron's "Le 3' Homme". But in my humble opinion Grey Flannel composed much much better, since foul notes are much more prominent on Caron, clashing, and it had been impossible for me not to bother.

This doesn't exactly reflect me to be worn every time but I'm sure will be revisited often.
09th September, 2018 (last edited: 18th September, 2018)
Blind bought this out of curiosity...always used to see this in the five and dime stores and always a little curious especially today with Grey Flannel's high ratings.This smells like something a tourist from Florida,New York,or California whipped up to make a buck off of as a reflection of their trip to the south.Something they wear before they can visit to watch the leaves change and do some 'glamping'.

Grey Flannel's approach is to invoke what seems like a sunny day in a rural mountain area.The tourist notices a certain worship to the mountain breeze by the natives.Despite the modern convenience of a dryer some people still like to hang their clothes on the line to dry.Despite Central Air some families like to dine with the windows open and let the breeze carry the fragrance of the forest through the field and through the flower bed giving an indulgence of nature's gift through the open windows of their home.Grey Flannel hit a neutral for me because it's a useless scent to me as a southerner and had no appeal.It hit negative because it was so tacky and synthetic.

I get a really bitter and sharp lemon in this bordering more on an industrial cleaner of some kind.Sandalwood is in this which does nothing really other than generates more dryness to the lemon.A really nasty violet note.I like violet in general as a note in Preferred Stock and Sung Homme but this is gross with it's urine tone it has.A moss note but more reflective to a sun dried/stale moss crumbling to a powder in my hand.A rose and powder duo...this bothered me in two ways.The powdery structure combined with the bitter crumbling moss adds more powder to me and made me sneeze both times.The rose and soap combination rubs me in a way of an elderly woman's after bath powder really.Grey Flannel reminds me of the ladies gathered after Sunday service in the living room for a glass of sweet tea and gossip.All of them trying to outdo each other with Jean Nate,Primo!,and feminine floral scents by Crabtree Evelyn combined.

Grey Flannel is very tacky,synthetic,old lady feminine,and trying to throw off a 'Little House on the Prairie' feel.It's like a bad joke that I'm surprised isn't sold in the back of the tourism promoting magazine called Southern Living via mail order.A magazine that also avoids discussing problems in the south on economical,poltical,and cultural issues at the result of tourists migrating here.

27th May, 2018
TeeEm Show all reviews
This was given to me as a cheap Xmas present back in 1990. I loved it but I never dared to put the bottle next to the other designer perfumes I owned due to its low price tag.

Now I buy it from time to time, currently do not own it, just to remind me how nice a simple cheap smell can be.

Its smell is unique, very difficult to describe ... a woody/flowery unique smell

08th January, 2018
I've worn this for around 20 years now.This one is hard for me to put into words.

Let me just say...masterpiece.

18th October, 2017