Grey Flannel (1975)

About Grey Flannel

FIFI award winner in 1976

Grey Flannel fragrance notes

Reviews of Grey Flannel

My all-time favourite scent. Loved it since the eighties and never been beaten. Herbs, violets, a fresh, cool, damp, woody smell. Cool rain on skin. An Northern woodland clearing, on the cusp of Autumn, cool, green everywhere, the rain suddenly stops, the sun shines through the leaves, highlighting delicate purple flowers, the leafy tree branches still dripping with bright raindrops.
If I could only have one, this would be it.
I met Grey Flannel when I was 16. I'd never really thought about fragrance before, but had grown up with them as my mother wears them (then Poison, opium, rive gauche). This literally stopped me in my tracks, my heart missed a beat and a thousand childhood memories flashed before my eyes. I'll never forget it. I know it's not the original formula now, and I know it's dated now, and I know, increasingly, people don't like it. For me you can never replace your first love. It's me. I hope they drench the place with it at my funeral one day. If BaseNotes created a "golden thumb" that members could only ever use once and never again, I would use it on Grey Flannel without hesitation. :)
June 2015
25th June, 2015
This is a most unusual and unique masculine green scent, in that the oak moss is very subdued, not overwhelming as in most scents of the late 70s and early 80s. It is quite dry and sophisticated,
with a fresh, herbal, grassy greenness.

It has the effect of a very concentrated green tea extract, which makes it a most pleasant scent to wear in the summer months.

The dry down is powdery.

Turin gives it five stars and calls it a "sweet green." He notes it can smell crude if over-applied.

One of the great men's scents from the "powerhouse" era that deigns to be subtle, not in your face.

Recommended.
18th June, 2015
ad_scott Show all reviews
Impressive! I enjoy sporting this. Grey Flannel is fairly robust yet almost meek at the same time. Amazing value for the price. It retains a linear (kind of) petroleum vibe. Reminds me very much of Fahrenheit by Christian Dior and Knize Ten.
12th June, 2015
Smells amazing. I definitely consider this an amazing piece of art. Very fresh and comforting. Can be worn anytime any place for any occasion. Great value to boot. niche quality for a fraction of the price. five stars. magnificent.
09th May, 2015
I'm not sure if I have dry skin that absorbs fragrance like a sponge to water or if I just have terrible sinuses and require a fragrance to literally jam itself up my nostrils before I am happy, but I tend to overspray myself. Even with only wearing it one or two times a week, I can go through a bottle of something particularly delicious within a year.

The sidebar tells me that this is available in an 8 oz bottle. I have no idea who could possibly live that long.
02nd May, 2015
What I'd imagine a handshake smelling like between Sean Connery and Alec Guinness.
11th March, 2015