Habit Rouge (1965)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Habit Rouge

Another Guerlain classic: Habit Rouge (meaning red jacket) combines notes of bergamot, patchouli, vanilla and leather.

Habit Rouge fragrance notes

Reviews of Habit Rouge

Imagine Guerlain's Vetiver with added basil, vanilla, cinnamon, leather and amber and you have Habit Rouge.

It's a complex and interesting blend of aromas to be sure. It's worth waiting after application because although it starts out very gourmand (going through phases of smelling like a communal dining hall and a Chinese take-away), it broadens out to fragrant, oriental spiced woods atop a deeply earthy base. In that base the vanilla, leather, amber and moss work very well together.

It's a mature scent and would not be chosen by the twenty-something man out on the pull, which is a pity because under the right circumstances it would have an effect beyond the cookie-cutter fragrances of the last 15-20 years. It's darker and more mysterious. Though I prefer cleaner, barbershop-style scents, I rate this over Guerlain's other 'classic' vetiver by a country mile.

Good sillage and decent longevity.
27th June, 2015
Salutation.

Richly confident.A warm and sensual woody blend that is also fresh and oriental and a truly opulent scent that portrays wealth and class.Created for men,but also enjoyed by women,HABIT ROUGE is a masculine, classic and elegant fragrance defined by an original and distinctive composition. Timeless,Captivating, Distinguishing,Sophisticated,Classy,Sensual, Unforgettable and Artistic.

The composition is created through four main fragrant lines, a striking citrusy freshness,the warm sharpness of cinnamon,the strength and elegance of wood and the warm sensuality of vanilla,leather and labdanum.these notes together create a harmonious whole that is a truly memorable and a wonderful signature fragrance for a rich tycoon as it has special scent that people remember and appreciate it.

This EDT is not for the young guy that is out on the prowl but a mature Gentleman that is out for a nice stretch of the unregular.HABIT ROUGE is not also for a unprofessional or a simulator person about fragrance,a real man wearing the fragrance shows that he knows what he wants in life,and knows exactly how to get it.do not wear if you don't want female attention.This is definitely a fragrance that can worn to formal parties and all formal occasions in the Autumn/Winter.Class in a Glass!

Sillage?Magnificent.

Longevity?Great on my skin.

13th June, 2015
EDP Version: Well, I finally got around to reviewing this one. This one has a close eye on the past--in true Guerlain style it's a respectful blend of past fragrances with a few changes here and there to make something new.

It starts off with pretty much the Shalimar opening. Bergamot and vanilla are the most prominent notes but it is slightly more masculine with a hint of spices. Sometimes the opening seems to fade before the middle kicks in on me which makes for a very interesting quiet phase, but once the middle kicks in strongly echoes the Mitsouko middle. Rose and moss are the main notes there.

The base gets powdery and a bit heavier on the vanilla but it retains the majority of the middle. The wood in the base adds an interesting peppery quality.

This does lean slightly feminine, but that shouldn't really mean much anyway. In my world, the fragrance you wear defines how you feel, not who you are.

People who try to corner fragrances into a particular age group, etc, are really doing them a disservice. The point is, do I want to smell this all day? Yes. Do I want to be in the mood in which this fragrance puts me? Yes. Am I wearing a fragrance that's twice as old as I am? Maybe, so what? It smells good to me! This is a great, well-blended fragrance that gives men the pleasure that comes with the classic Guerlains for women. Relax and enjoy it!

I do have to say though I like the EDP much more than the original. I never realized how big a difference there would be between the two.

One more note about the EDP: in cold weather the progression of notes is beautiful, in warm weather it turns into cherry Doctor Pepper. Definitely a cold weather fragrance!

EDT: This is the classic from the 60s. There should really be a separate entry for the EDT vs EDP as they're very different. The EDT was a scrubber the first time I tried it and I would still never wear it in public. The opening is a beautiful slightly creamy bright lemon but it quickly turns dusty, in a bad way. The best way I can describe it is like this...everyone knows the type of guy who likes to buy things he doesn't actually use. He has a boat that hasn't been on the water in a decade and he bought an RV in the 80s but hasn't really gone anywhere in it. Nobody's even been inside in at least fifteen years. For some reason you're spending the night in it. The sheets were washed a couple of decades ago with a strongly scented detergent but not since then. The sheets now smell like Habit Rouge.
12th April, 2015 (last edited: 19th August, 2015)
If you have not smelled Habit Rouge lately, do yourself a favor: smell before you buy.

The current Habit Rouge is a sad travesty of the wonderful scent it was.

Cheap citrus on top, a mere sketch of the original in the middle, and aggressive laundry musks at the bottom.

Cheaply done, horrible, and expensive to your pocket. Avoid. Guerlain is taking a nosedive.

Edgar
19th February, 2015
Habit Rouge was introduced the year I was born, and I can imagine my grandfather absolutely loving this scent. In today's fragrance market however, Habit Rouge seems dated. It's rare that I can recall such a strong floral (rose) note in a men's fragrance. That being said, I've found an appreciation for this fragrance in spite of the nostalgic vibe it gives off. Some reviews label this an "old man" scent, but I would more aptly describe it as a nostalgic fragrance. Not for everybody, and I agree that the scent might seem almost feminine to a younger man. But a scent that's equal to my age feels right on occasion.
12th February, 2015
This is for the EdP version.

I have a number of friends who swear by this stuff and, even though it’s not my style at all, it’s a Guerlain that I enjoy to visit now and again.

The opening citrus is undermined by a herbal facet that dirties the scent up a bit, lending it a slight jagged edge that’s textured yet polished. It’s almost as if one of those obnoxiously aggressive alpha-chimp scents from the ‘80s has been domesticated and civilized; moss, resins, a rubbery saffron/leather thing are all unified and work together well. It’s the leather, though, that renders Habit Rouge as one of the more characterful Guerlains for me; it’s almost a rubber glove-type chord that somehow compliments the classic triptych of citrus, moss, and vanilla. When taken as a whole, the effect is that of a genuinely unique and distinct scent, and that’s why I find it so appealing as a perfume study even though it’s not something that fits my personal style.
28th December, 2014

Add your review of Habit Rouge

Shop for Habit Rouge products online

Shop for Habit Rouge at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Habit Rouge

Member images of Habit Rouge

There are no member images of Habit Rouge yet. Why not be the first?