Habit Rouge (1965)
    by Guerlain

Habit Rouge Fragrance Notes

Habit Rouge information

Another Guerlain classic: Habit Rouge (meaning red jacket) combines notes of bergamot, patchouli, vanilla and leather.

Shop for Habit Rouge products online

50ml EdT
    100ml EdT
    50ml EdT

Reviews of Habit Rouge

Showing 1 to 6 of 197 reviews.

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Review Of The EDP.

After a slight citrus in the opening you get a very complex array of notes that gradually unfurl over the next several hours. Florals, leather, woods, vanilla and even a dash of oud this scent has it all.

Though it is not as powdery as the EDT it a very dense and a little bit muddled. There is just too much going on at times. It smells better in some phases of it's life than others depending I guess on your taste.

Now what lets this scent down for me is the very very poor projection. I mean it can only really be smelled if you bury your nose where you have sprayed it. Making the whole point of wearing a fragrance mute.

I would highly recommend anyone coming to Habit Rouge for the first time to check out the flanker Habit Rouge L' Eau. Which smells very modern and may I say wonderful in it's floral woody freshness.

08 March, 2014

prosperonline's avatar
    prosperonline
    Brazil Brazil

I have just received my bottle of Habit Rouge EDT, batch 3Q01 from March 2013, and if the previews versions were better than this one, then it was just made for Heaven and not for human noses whatsoever. Habit Rouge, as a trait of a real Guerlain, opens strongly like Shalimar EDP. Vanilla gets more intense and the added citrus notes make a shift to Eau de Shalimar. All that in a blink of an eye. Then carnation and citrus remind me a lot of a much better version of my actual bottle of Eau Sauvage, and also Boucheron Homme EDP. Most of the notes are the same, and they also follow the same path but in different bays. Eau Sauvage is the most citric of them all. Boucheron is the more aromatic with carnation and rose leaning towards feminine just a bit. However, Habit Rouge has it all, it's a Guerlain and their DNA is the ultimate factor. Habit Rouge is indeed a Shalimar for Men. For those men who are not at ease by wearing a woman's scent just because the label says so. In HR they can feel at home. Well, sort of. That's if you like florals, and are not afraid of them. Rose, carnation and jasmin form one of the forces that hold HR together. The others are the citrus accord, the woody notes, the spices, the sweet vanillas and the leather tone. All these groups are together, side by side, creating their own circles and emanating their waves to the others making HR something like a quadrophonic symphony marring the best piece of music with the best performers with the best technicque and the best acoustics ever assembled together. And that's the present reformulated EDT. I just seem to be unable to separete what's top, middle and base notes, perhaps because I am really breathless. At the end of the show you don't go home on your own. Right after everything has faded, there's still this beautiful lady in your arms. You are going to wake up by her side next morning. Her name is Shalimar.

28 February, 2014

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Very dated imo.. A clash of notes that don't have good vibe.. Sweet and floral that could be unisex..I like some of the classics- Dunhill 34 - Eau Sauvage but not this!!
    Good longevity and projection..

08 February, 2014

Captain's avatar
    Captain

This is Shalimar with wood added to make it "masculine". It's gorgeous, bought it for my husband for xmas and I just adore it especially when I wear Shalimar and he uses this at the same time. :)

I can't image how this isn't appropriate or perfect for any man. Shoot, Shalimar is nice on a man let alone the ubiquitous and stereotypical woody nature of Habit Rouge.

It's citrusy and woody leather to my nose. All those other ingredients only serve to accentuate those wonderful notes.

08 February, 2014

hicks's avatar
    hicks
    Switzerland Switzerland

I bought this recently after a few tests in airports. Now that I wear this again on my skin I am reminded that I had a sample as an 18 year old. Not by it's name but by its smell. Isn't that amazing! I remember the smell of a sample I wore maybe once or twice 22 years ago. Back then I realised it was too old for me and moved onto Jazz! Now it's a different story though.

The home fragrance industry has a lot to answer for. I've always hated vanilla but wow this is different. Warm, sophisticated and well balanced. It reminds me of my mother's lipstick in the 70s, that lingering smell of mum as she kissed me out the door to school.

22 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2014)

Jack ze Fack's avatar
    Jack ze Fack
    France France

A gentleman's perfume, the one I use at work.
    It gives me the feeling I'm more mature, more complex, more secure I really am. :)

29 November, 2013