Halston 1-12 (1976)

PackagingElsa Peretti
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchNorton Simon > Max Factor

About Halston 1-12

The international roll-out for Halston fragrances in 1976 was masterminded by Michael Edwards, who told Basenotes why Halston chose to launch with two male fragrances:
"Halston couldn't make up his mind which one he preferred so he said, “Launch both”. The names, Z-14 and 1-12? Those were the perfumer's code numbers."
Basenotes visitor, Bryian Davis tells us "the bottles were inspired by the soft shapes fingers would make pinching the form, that's where the name 'pinch' bottle came from. "

Halston 1-12 fragrance notes

Reviews of Halston 1-12

When this first came out, I was but a bored 10 year old, killing time until my Mother and Sisters got finished in the fitting room. Stupid old dresses. Anyways, I remember standing at the Halston counter at Strawbridge & Clothier department store and the kind lady attendant allowed me to sample the fragrances. Z-14 was absolutely amazing with its bold burst of lemon and cedar woods; however 1-12 was just as breathtaking with its burst of green notes and soft, powdery musks. The bottles were out of this world and to a young lad, it was like holding the holy grail! (*Back then Z-14s bottle was brown glass and 1-12s bottle was black/dark purple glass.)
I couldn't decide then which one was better and nearly 40 years later, I still cannot pick one over the other. They're both different with 1-12 being softer and more elegant while Z-14
is bold, daring and sporty! Two good friends.
I still wear both 1-12 and Z-14 in constant rotation from my fragrance wardrobe. I will admit that when I wear 1-12 the compliments come flooding in, and I've even received phone calls from a few clients asking what scent I was wearing, because they want to buy it too! Most unusual, especially for such a inexpensive fragrance, but I'll take a compliment when I can get it.
I have heard that Halston himself could not choose between the two scents, so he launched both. I'm just glad that he did!
28th December, 2016
This has a slight retro vibe, but warranted for today's taste. Green, lemon and pine is the first thing that came to mind on the initial spray. There's much more that kicks in through the mid-notes and drydown though. The vanilla and amber creep up quickly. I see why this has been around for this long. Non-offensive and all around masculine fragrance.
27th December, 2016
Didn't like it. Nothing like Z-14. Turns sour on my skin, and that's never good. ;^<
20th December, 2016
I bought this for my husband after hearing him talk about when he wore it in high school. SUCH A TURN ON!!! <3 <3 <3
09th September, 2016
Stardate 20160726:
All Versions

A great Chypre that should be in everyone's wardrobe.
The vintage has a bit more depth to it but the last formulation is good enough. and at $10/100ml this is a no brainer.
You will notice the similarity with its more popular brother Z-14 but I think 1-12 is a better fragrance. A nice cool soapy freshness in a bottle. Perfect for a summer day.
26th July, 2016
**Review for vintage Halston 1-12**

It's an chypre! It's a gourmand! It's a fougere! There is a reason that Halston didn't bother giving 1-12 a proper name, because it does not fit any description. Maybe "Noir Eau Fraiche de Vanille for Men" was already taken....

Anyway, I have immense respect for the composition here even though I do not find it very wearable. Sour opening and soapy / fabric softener middle with a close of some amber / tonka / musky breezes is quite a combination considering this was pushing boundaries in 1976.

Many negative reviews have bashed 1-12 as "for grandma", but I disagree as the Pine / Lavender / Carnation heart over Musky woods provides enough soapy / sweat to push into the men's department as clearly masculine.

If you enjoy classic perfumes of this type with a sweeter dry down , but want one more wearable look no further than the grand daddy of them all "Old Spice".
09th July, 2015