Halston 1-12 (1976)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 180 ratings

Halston 1-12 Fragrance Notes

Halston 1-12 information

The international roll-out for Halston fragrances in 1976 was masterminded by Michael Edwards, who told Basenotes why Halston chose to launch with two male fragrances:
    "Halston couldn't make up his mind which one he preferred so he said, “Launch both”. The names, Z-14 and 1-12? Those were the perfumer's code numbers."
    Basenotes visitor, Bryian Davis tells us "the bottles were inspired by the soft shapes fingers would make pinching the form, that's where the name 'pinch' bottle came from. "

Shop for Halston 1-12 products online

Reviews of Halston 1-12

Showing 1 to 6 of 45 reviews.

MRBDX's avatar

This was the first cologne I ever bought with my own money. Way back in 1984 in middle school! Every boy in school had it. lol.

22nd January, 2015

tropicalstorm's avatar

Thumbs up... and why not? After getting bowled over by the Z-14 with it's tsar bomba sort of powerhouse appeal that Shouts pepper and cinnamon, I've finally had the pleasure of owning the 1-12 (my brother, who lives in the U.S gifted it to me.)

I know this frag is cheap as chips and may cost as much as a big mac but to hell with that. This cologne smacks of old school charm and oozes with quality. It's a distinct fragrance that, as a fellow reviewer rightly pointed out is the other one of a ying-yang equation (after comparing it with it's sibling the Halston Z-14).

The basil and lemon are pronounced in the top notes and the dry down is more sophisticated with vanilla, tonka, and a hint of green and sour notes.

An 80's barbershop perfume with sophistication and substance. Hell of a good juice if you can carry it well.

29th December, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

I love both Z-14 and I-12. They are a ying and yang sorta thing. Z-14 is a dark jungle full of tigers and snakes where I-12 is fresh from the bath about to go play golf. Throw in the fact that Halston couldn't decide which one to release simply said "release both". In the same bottle!! Exquisite!!

05th May, 2014

Zenwannabee's avatar

I also really wanted to like this. And in perhaps minuscule quantities, it could be both wearable and bearable. But unfortunately, as I wore this, I was lifted on a soapy wave, that held the promise of something beautiful on the dry-down. Alas, that wave turned into a raging storm with saccharine winds that at last deposited me on a beach of fabric softener that ran for miles, with no water and under a scorching sun. It was a scent that would not end. Somehow I survived, and found I could still love wearing other fragrances. But it was such a near miss that I hope not to repeat it.

04th May, 2014

Carlie,JD's avatar

I shouldn't love this

I love chypres, but not green ones. When I tried 1-12 in a shop recently I kept saying "I shouldn't like this, but I do." The next day I bought it. I wore it daily throughout the spring and I spent an embarrassing amount of time smelling my arm. I love that it smells both poisonous and edible. It has many affecting poles and there is always something of interest happening.

I read the composition as galbanum subdued by waves of basil, with cannabis and citrus, a smoky floral heart of lavender, jasmine, violet and carnation with cedar, moss and lingering galbanum and a vanillic moss-musk finish.

1-12 was also an absurd value (125 ml for $9 US).

Pros: Beautiful and interesting and a great value
    Cons: Not radiant enough for summer wear; discontinued"

06th August, 2013

Chemistryaok's avatar

Great gem of a cologne

This is a gem among 80's powerhouse users, but really should be tried by everyone. I blind bought this after owning Z-14, and reading the reviews here on BN. I can't recommend it more.

Firstly, this is a VERY inexpensive cologne. 11 dollars on amazon. WOW! Even if you hate it after trying, it's worth the blind buy. But it has such class and a very distinguished smell. Initial application shows the woods and lemon coming out, with a middle of vanilla. To me, the drydown is soft woods and baby powder. Throughout, you smell as if you just emerged from a shower and were ready to curl up next to a logcabin fire in the Rockies with your lady.

Honestly, I don't even get the 80's powerhouse vibe, because this is such a refined, luxurious scent that is subtle after drydown. No in your face going on here. It projects, but not like a beast. It also doesn't stay right on the skin. A nice even ground. So, it's not the most well-known, and I'm sure you could find other houses that have similar products, but this is a hidden gem that will do nothing but impress. Cheers.

Pros: Not too many people wear it
    Cons:

20th July, 2013

Add your review of Halston 1-12