Halston Z-14 (1976)

PackagingElsa Peretti
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchNorton Simon > Max Factor

About Halston Z-14

The international roll-out for Halston fragrances in 1976 was masterminded by Michael Edwards, who told Basenotes why Halston chose to launch with two male fragrances:
"Halston couldn't make up his mind which one he preferred so he said, "Launch both". The names, Z-14 and 1-12? Those were the perfumer's code numbers."
Basenotes visitor, Bryian Davis tells us "the bottles were inspired by the soft shapes fingers would make pinching the form, that's where the name 'pinch' bottle came from. "

Halston Z-14 fragrance notes

Reviews of Halston Z-14

Halston is clearly a less well-known name in the UK, but alas the joys of these boards is easy to hunt out scents that you've never heard of. Z-14 is one such scent, as is the designer house of Halston.

Not wanting another cypress/chypre, I reluctantly tried the current version. Let's just say the connections to big red gum are totally justified. Cinnamon in a bottle. You might be forgiven for wanting to dust your rice pudding with it!

Vintage on the other hand, even something I would class as semi-vintage, is clearly on another level. Woody, resinous, potent and long-lasting (and yes, with some cinnamon in there - but not a truck load), this is another one of those scents that any chypre lover should vie to try at least once in their life time. Itís hard to believe that this scent is so affordable. Two sprays are enough to last a whole working day. Projection is quite strong. Wearers should expect their clothes to smell of the mossy accord for days later.
19th October, 2017
I wasn't happy with this.
This smells just like cinnamon, or as others have called it "Big Red gum." That's all it is.
I don't like to wear oriental fragrances but I definitely appreciate the different kinds out there. But this stuff...it's just cinnamon mostly.
Even reformulated 1-12 is better than this in my opinion.
The weird thing is that the aftershave of Z-14 smells a little more complex. THAT isn't bad. I think aftershave's tend to have a little oakmoss these days. I know Quorum's aftershave does, and Z-14's does to.

If you want to check out Z-14's aftershave, you might like it. But the cologne is not good IMO.
19th August, 2017
Something spicy in the lower midrange grates badly on me, mild head ache and iffy stomach. Its gotta go.
17th February, 2017 (last edited: 18th February, 2017)
When this first came out, I was but a bored 10 year old, killing time until my Mother and Sisters got finished in the fitting room. Stupid old dresses. Anyways, I remember standing at the Halston counter at Strawbridge & Clothier department store and the kind lady attendant allowed me to sample the fragrances. Z-14 was absolutely amazing with its bold burst of lemon and cedar woods; however 1-12 was just as breathtaking with its burst of green notes and soft, powdery musks. The bottles were out of this world and to a young lad, it was like holding the holy grail! (*Back then Z-14s bottle was brown glass and 1-12s bottle was black/dark purple glass.)

I couldn't decide then which one was better and nearly 40 years later, I still cannot pick one over the other. They're both different with 1-12 being softer and more elegant while Z-14 is bold, daring and sporty. Two good friends!

I still wear both 1-12 and Z-14 in constant rotation from my fragrance wardrobe. Regretfully, Z-14 has suffered over time with reformulations. While still a hauntingly beautiful composition, it lacks the longevity and depth it once had back in the late 70's and early 80's. I suspect mostly less oakmoss and musks due to restrictions and perhaps the accountants under pressure to cut costs. Still great value for the money, though. I have heard that Halston himself could not choose between the two scents, so he launched both. I'm just glad that he did!
28th December, 2016 (last edited: 12th February, 2017)
I really really hate this. The initial blast is Lemonheads and Red Hots that have been stored in an attic and the cardboard has started to decompose. It also brings to mind getting the flu and taking a mixture of lemon and cinnamon flavored Theraflu. The dry down is still lemon & cinnamon, but someone added a dash of musty McCormick basil seasoning.

20th December, 2016
Z-14 stands the test of time as a classy, clean men's fragrance!

The start is a typical citrus and spice entry that leads into the deep forest of wood and spice that is well-crafted in Z-14. Not an in-your-face antiquated quality, but a laid back, mature, and steady mixture.

A classic fragrance to have in one's collection.
16th December, 2016