Halston Z-14 (1976)
    by Halston

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 363 ratings

Halston Z-14 Fragrance Notes

If you had anosmia, there wouldn't be any notes you recognise

Today is Anosmia Awareness Day. Basenotes is helping raise awareness by removing the notes from the fragrance directory for the day. Please read this personal, heartfelt message from one of our writers, Louise, and find out more about anosmia.

If you are desperate to regain your virtual sense of smell, click here to see the notes for Halston Z-14

Halston Z-14 information

The international roll-out for Halston fragrances in 1976 was masterminded by Michael Edwards, who told Basenotes why Halston chose to launch with two male fragrances:
    "Halston couldn't make up his mind which one he preferred so he said, "Launch both". The names, Z-14 and 1-12? Those were the perfumer's code numbers."
    Basenotes visitor, Bryian Davis tells us "the bottles were inspired by the soft shapes fingers would make pinching the form, that's where the name 'pinch' bottle came from. "

Shop for Halston Z-14 products online

125ml EdT

Reviews of Halston Z-14

Showing 1 to 6 of 105 reviews.

jaybear's avatar

Finland Finland

Halston Z-14 has become my Christmas scent. It is not a perfect fragrance in any way but its characteristics fulfill my needs during the Christmas season: The cinnamony and citrusy aromas of the current formulation suit Yuletide perfectly, and the barbershoppy vibes make sure I feel suave, clean and groomed enough for all the festivities.

In general, I don't want to experiment at Christmas; I want something safe and reassuring. I don’t want to drink any new or expensive wines at the Christmas dinner; I’m going to have some relatively easy-going and versatile beverages with the gustatory, albeit a lovely mess that it is. I don't want any posh pieces of confectionery; I want those rather inexpensive crispy truffles in tacky wrappings from the supermarket, the ones I had already 20 years ago. I'm going to listen to the same old Christmas songs while decorating the Christmas tree with the same old Christmas ornaments.

And that's what Christmas is – at least to me: It's all about safety, familiarity and traditions. It's all about things which never change, or, in fact, the illusion of them never changing. For things really do change; we all have very probably noticed that. But at Christmas I just want to forget and even deny that, just for a few days. Well, nevertheless Z-14 has changed, I have changed and Christmases have changed. Maybe Z-14 used to be better. Maybe Christmases used to be better, I don't know.

If you keep in mind what I have just written, the fact that I’ve never smelled any older formulations of this fragrance might seem a bit contradictory. (Oh yes, it really is a rather new acquaintance to me.) Sometimes new stuff just slips into traditions without any real experimenting. Z-14 has a character which just makes it the perfect fragrance to embalm my Christmas philosophy with.

20th November, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

A classic herbal citrus chypre from the early powerhouse days of masculine scents.

The pyramid for this is quite complex with spices, woods, herbs and citrus elements perfectly combining. A blockbuster in the sales department. Aimed at the open shirted, hairy chested male of the mid- seventies.

The spices are here, but well hidden, leaving only an impression. Ditto the wood elements, providing a solid base, but with individual contributions indecipherable.

The over all effect is one of easy-going, assured, masculinity.

A true classic.

11th November, 2014 (Last Edited: 03rd December, 2014)

ad_scott's avatar

The finest I have ever owned, I cipher. Rigorously utilized in the course of winter. A bewildering fougère for masculinity. A classic aromatic of the Punk rock era, initially convening a fresh citrus and sherbet lemon aperture; a modest and rapid drydown to a serene cypress incense balanced with leather, amber and cedarwood. Based with violet Coca-Cola. Conjures up images of an ancestor's 1979 wardrobe; dark and dusty,
    housing a bouquet of accustomed classic male fougères. Economical yet superlative.

19th October, 2014 (Last Edited: 28th October, 2014)

Colin Maillard's avatar

Halston Z-14 is a great masculine fougère on the herbal-fresh side, initially not that far from the majestic Cerruti pour Homme but more classic, more austerely refined and closer to a traditional "eau de cologne" type of scent (in short, less creative and unconventional than the Cerruti). It's all there: zesty refreshing citrus notes, lavender, herbs, spices (cinnamon above all) pine, mossy-woody notes, carnation, gentle soapy notes, a hint of leather. A refined, crisp, masculine scent which smells just good and versatile, unintrusive and elegant, slightly exotic too thanks to spices and mossy-herbal notes. The leathery drydown is the best part in my opinion, as it smells soft, mellow yet sharp and masculine, and reminds me of Moschino pour Homme, just woodier and greener. Solid!

7,5-8/10

10th October, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

I understand the original fragrance was very nice. This reformulated version is wacked. Smells like lemon furniture polish (no exageration).

24th September, 2014

tropicalstorm's avatar

Very loud. Heavy fuel indeed! I find this juice quite linear with just two notes that stick out: Clove and Cinnamon. I notice clove is nowhere mentioned in the pyramid (maybe it's the musk) but, to me this heavy note is unmistakable. Z14 has an overwhelming presence and is a solid powerhouse of the 'good old days'. Hasn't mellowed down over the years like, for example Quorum or Paco Rabanne PH and that is so good actually.Thank heavens this juice is unashamedly masculine and and even though I'm not sure if I can carry it well but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. It gets my enthusiastic thumbs up. And yes, it has a special place in my collection.

27th July, 2014