Homme de Grès (1996)

Parent Company at launchAltus

About Homme de Grès

Homme de Grès is a masculine fragrance by Grès. The scent was launched in 1996

Reviews of Homme de Grès

In 1923 Roger and Gallet came up with a wonderful scent, Le Jade, which matched lime (the green in the clever name) with oak moss, providing a bracing scent far more masculine than feminine, but looking forward to such oak moss dominated perfumes as Bandit and Femme.

Gres took the oak moss from their classic Cabochard, and substituting lemon and bergamot for the lime, created their ultra-sophisticated and masculine Homme de Gres in the mid-1990s.

Homme is quite simple, but tres bracing and uplifting. Perfect for summer wear, either office or sport, and a good choice to splash on for early evening wear. A winner and sadly discontinued. You can still find it on Ebay. Worth a buy.
21st March, 2017
A citrusy-herbal-woody fragrance. Excellent in my mind! It smells wonderful (mostly masculine I would say). It is 'fresh' and at the same time provides body to the scent. It also changes a bit over time, starting citrusy, continuing into herbal with tarragon...perhaps.. and then into woody territory. Reminds me of some Guerlain, but still distinct. It has quite good sillage and last for a long time.
15th September, 2015
Solid. Maybe a bit boring, but terribly solid: citrus, sharp bitter green notes, oak moss, a barbershop accord of lavender and freshly cut woods. A really “conventional” fresh fougère for men in the same league of Yves Saint Laurent pour Homme, but with a hint of uniqueness lying in the unusually loud tone of the green notes, which smell sour and sharp as hell, enhanced by the astringent citric bitterness and the raw feel of woods, and cleverly “rounded” by something powdery-musky, almost animalic too, I guess due to lavender (you can really smell a ton of it here) and mossy notes. Really simple, sophisticatedly dry, virile and mature, probably not memorable, but a perfect piece of old-school self-confidence in a (fantastic!) bottle.

19th June, 2015
divus5 Show all reviews
(This is discontinued so I did my first blind buy, bought a bottle on ebay)

The review by Vetiverlover describes this fragrance perfectly for me. There is nothing I dont like about it, very versatile in that it will work well all year round although I think it might be better as a fall/winter scent. I like its attitude, a really nice masculine scent. Its not a shouter, yet not too understated. Some people might object to the late dry down as being somewhat harsh, it has its share of tobacco/smoke...but I still like this aspect too. I paid $52 including shipping for 75ml w/box on ebay, a good value in my opinion. (Thanks to Basenoter JackTwist for putting this on my radar during his chanel pour monsieur review)
01st June, 2014 (last edited: 02nd June, 2014)
Herbal and I love it. It is a beautiful scent and lasts forever on me. Fresh, summery and perfect for the Miami heat. I went to the post office this morning and was asked by a young woman what I was wearing. She had never heard of it, and said she would buy it for her boyfriend. I sprayed 3 times only, neck and wrists. So the projection is first class. I will be wearing it very often.

03rd March, 2014
Hommes de Gres is fantastic - unique, & completely masculine: bitter citric & herbal top; citrus, woody & leathery dry-down with a little smoke. A happy, natural, totally self-assured & comforting scent that is great for the office, just after the gym, or for a night on the town. Good projection & silage, but not a shouter. Woods & leather. Compliments a-plenty. One of my all-time favorites. No - it's not a "contemporary" scent, but more a classic, old-school one. Not sweet at all. I'm so disappointed it's been discontinued!
14th November, 2012 (last edited: 21st November, 2012)

Add your review of Homme de Grès

Shop for Homme de Grès products online

Shop for Homme de Grès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Homme de Grès

Member images of Homme de Grès

There are no member images of Homme de Grès yet. Why not be the first?