Homme de Grès (1996)

Parent Company at launchAltus

About Homme de Grès

Homme de Grès is a masculine fragrance by Grès. The scent was launched in 1996

Reviews of Homme de Grès

Solid. Maybe a bit boring, but terribly solid: citrus, sharp bitter green notes, oak moss, a barbershop accord of lavender and freshly cut woods. A really “conventional” fresh fougère for men in the same league of Yves Saint Laurent pour Homme, but with a hint of uniqueness lying in the unusually loud tone of the green notes, which smell sour and sharp as hell, enhanced by the astringent citric bitterness and the raw feel of woods, and cleverly “rounded” by something powdery-musky, almost animalic too, I guess due to lavender (you can really smell a ton of it here) and mossy notes. Really simple, sophisticatedly dry, virile and mature, probably not memorable, but a perfect piece of old-school self-confidence in a (fantastic!) bottle.

19th June, 2015
divus5 Show all reviews
(This is discontinued so I did my first blind buy, bought a bottle on ebay)

The review by Vetiverlover describes this fragrance perfectly for me. There is nothing I dont like about it, very versatile in that it will work well all year round although I think it might be better as a fall/winter scent. I like its attitude, a really nice masculine scent. Its not a shouter, yet not too understated. Some people might object to the late dry down as being somewhat harsh, it has its share of tobacco/smoke...but I still like this aspect too. I paid $52 including shipping for 75ml w/box on ebay, a good value in my opinion. (Thanks to Basenoter JackTwist for putting this on my radar during his chanel pour monsieur review)
01st June, 2014 (last edited: 02nd June, 2014)
Herbal and I love it. It is a beautiful scent and lasts forever on me. Fresh, summery and perfect for the Miami heat. I went to the post office this morning and was asked by a young woman what I was wearing. She had never heard of it, and said she would buy it for her boyfriend. I sprayed 3 times only, neck and wrists. So the projection is first class. I will be wearing it very often.

03rd March, 2014
Hommes de Gres is fantastic - unique, & completely masculine: bitter citric & herbal top; citrus, woody & leathery dry-down with a little smoke. A happy, natural, totally self-assured & comforting scent that is great for the office, just after the gym, or for a night on the town. Good projection & silage, but not a shouter. Woods & leather. Compliments a-plenty. One of my all-time favorites. No - it's not a "contemporary" scent, but more a classic, old-school one. Not sweet at all. I'm so disappointed it's been discontinued!
14th November, 2012 (last edited: 21st November, 2012)
drseid Show all reviews
Homme de Gres opens with a slightly bitter herbal lemon combo that establishes the theme for the scent early on. These notes hold from start to finish, but joining them in the scent's heart is a nicely done powdery lavender that builds over time. In the base, a leathery undertone adds a further dimension to the powdery herbaceous lemon/lavender combo. Homme de Gres is a bit more than a skin scent, but it is no projector either. Longevity and strength are quite good (as is the sprayer on the bottle, for what its worth).

When I first smelled the herbaceous green lemon opening I was really into Homme de Gres big time. It kind of reminded me of some of the better qualities of herbal lemon scents like vintage YSL pour Homme, then when the lavender based powder joined in, I even got a slight reminiscence to the great Patou pour Homme Prive... Unfortunately the powder continued to build until it became too much, before diminishing a bit later-on in the dry-down. That is where Homme de Gres lost a lot of its positive momentum and its comparison to those two great scents among others. Still, this is a very good scent in its own right and I am happy to have a bottle in my wardrobe. Even though it is discontinued, bottles are available on eBay for reasonable money. I suggest if you like powdery herbaceous lemon scents you pick one up while you still can. I give Homme de Gres a very solid recommended, and a 3.5 out of 5 star rating.
17th May, 2012 (last edited: 18th May, 2012)
southsider Show all reviews
Russian Federation
What a wonderful cologne with hints of herbs I would say...in 1970-s. Just can't say it's timeless.
29th April, 2010

Add your review of Homme de Grès

Shop for Homme de Grès products online

Shop for Homme de Grès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Homme de Grès

Member images of Homme de Grès

There are no member images of Homme de Grès yet. Why not be the first?