Hugh Parsons (Blue) (1998)
    by Hugh Parsons

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 58 ratings

Hugh Parsons (Blue) information

Hugh Parsons (Blue) is a men's fragrance by Hugh Parsons. The scent was launched in 1998

Reviews of Hugh Parsons (Blue)

Showing 1 to 6 of 18 reviews.

Buysblind's avatar

I do not like the way this opens at all. It reminds me of sour, slightly rotten compost with a bit of a Green Irish Tweed aroma wafting throughout it or pickles and old licorice dumped in a bottle of gin. It's probably the Juniper berries that are responsible for this foul smell, but once the fragrance settles down it at least becomes tolerable. After the opening, Blue settles into an herbal accord that is somewhat robust and spicy. It's a unique, interesting blend that I haven't come across in any other fragrance and I can see how some folks find it appealing. The thing is, it reminds me more of a spice mixture I'd add to a spaghetti sauce than anything "blue," or fresh--not that we need any more of those. At the same time, there IS something slightly aquatic about it, a watery texture created by the combination of notes that I like and appreciate. Despite disliking the fragrance personally, I will say that it's a quality fragrance as far as the ingredients and structure is concerned, never markedly synthetic or cheap. So I'll go neutral on this-- though I personally don't care for the way Hugh Parsons smells, I respect its design and more than reasonable price tag.

11th November, 2012

silentrich's avatar

One of the best and well balanced aquatics I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. If you've smell Erolfa you'll have a very good comparison. I actually prefer this to Erolfa and would recommend anyone who's thinking about buying Erolfa to at the very least sample Hugh Parson's Blue (traditional). This fragrance reminds me of setting on a beach deck at night with a clear sky full moon, sea breeze blowing, and the smell of fresh flowers and exotic vegetation.

02 May, 2012

Redbeard's avatar

This is one of my favorite aquatics, instantly fresh and oceanic right from the beginning, with no ethanol fumes. It has a bit of the Millesime Imperial melon note (i.e. believable honeydew, not synthetic watermelon like in some lesser aquatics). It makes me think of my old days back in Santa Barbara; it's not a stormy gray north seas aquatic like Bulgari Aqua, nor a sunny tropical lagoon like Tommy Bahama Very Cool, nor exotic like MI, just a sort of averagey coastal vibe. The fruit gets a bit dried up and sweeter during the mid notes, bringing it closer to Erolfa, minus the sharp herbs. Later on, the evolution is toward a more green character, which is unusual; it heads toward the wet, bitter grassy style of Hermes Gentiane Blanche or Sisley Eau de Campagne, though there's just a little bit of licorice here which I could do without. This green anisy base is one of the most natural ones I've encountered in an aquatic, without any of the sensation I usually get: "oh, yeah, we threw this base together really quick so it would still have a smell after all the calone evaporated." You can save some money and get this stuff insead of Erolfa.

26 February, 2012

Oproust's avatar

Hugh Parsons Blue starts with a citrus accord of lemon and mandarin that does nothing to move me. Michael Edwards classifies Blue as a fresh woody oriental, which I would have never guessed from the opening notes. It seems like one of those aquatics that I have little interest in. As Blue develops, I get a hint of Green Irish Tweed, but only a hint. Both fragrances have the dreaded ambergris note in the base, which causes all kinds of problems for my nose, in a sensitive or allergic kind of way. As Blue continues to develop, I detect a blackberry note and a juniper note. I enjoy the fruity addition to Blue's development. Things are looking better. I'm beginning to enjoy Blue. As Blue evolves and the woody notes emerge, there is enough complexity and development to hold my attention. While Blue is not the type of fragrance I frequently reach for, it is not bad and is well-suited for office wear. As I spritz on Blue, I chuckle and think about where my heart really lies: Gucci Nobile, Azzaro, A*Men, Chergui, Pure Havane, Kouros, Rive Gauche, Fou D'Absinthe, Havana...There is nothing Blue about that lot.

29 December, 2011

elmatador75's avatar

Gin and tonic with a bit of pencil shavings. I first encountered this at Nordstrom's a few years ago and it made me realize I was heading toward a serious, nuanced appreciation of fragrances. Looking back, I now admit that Blue is a bit linear. But, the lead and juniper scent I discovered years ago still invokes positive feelings. This is a business man's fragrance. Masculine, crisp, direct, refined and understated. My only qualm lies with the notion that it needs something more in the middle to make it a true classic. I enjoy wearing this with a grey suit and white tie. It is not a fragrance to attract the ladies at a club. But, you will convey authority and sophistication at the office with this one. If only Hugh Parsons could create a flanker and release a mixture of Blue and Guerlain's Vetiver, a new classic will be introduced.

23 May, 2011

JDBIII's avatar

Synthetic sandalwood all fancied up and put in a pretty blue bottle. Keep the bottle.

08 February, 2010

Add your review of Hugh Parsons (Blue)

Search for on eBay United States

Hugh Parsons Traditional / Blue -- 1.7 oz EDT
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 5 days
    STARTING BID
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    HUGH PARSONS Perfume FOR MEN Miniature .3oz Cologne Blue-London
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 10 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)