Insensé (1993)

PerfumerDaniel Moliere
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Insensé

The male partner to Givenchy's Amarige. Launched in 1993, it is a rarity for a male fragrance as it contains mainly floral notes.

Insensé fragrance notes

Reviews of Insensé

One of the best masculine floral fragrances ever created and truly a 'Spring in a Bottle" fragrance. To me, it's a work of art and what a real masterpiece should smell like when it comes to vintage fragrances for men. Before Insense, I never though a floral fragrance could be masculine. But somehow Givenchy pulled it off and blended it perfectly with lilly of the valley done in a manly way, and perhaps the best Firbalsam dry down in the business. It does have a tad sourness to it in the middle notes, as it was intended, and that's a bonus for those that love their fragrance to have some rough edges while being smooth at the same time, if that makes sense. Longevity is decent at 6+ hours. Projection and sillage is rather modest. And that's how I prefer my fragrances.

The Youtube fraghead 'Scent Land' did a wonderful review on this beauty, and it inspired me to hunt down a bottle. From the very first sniff I feel in love, and it immediately reminded me of Spring flowers and Easter celebrations. It's my Easter staple and on the first few warm days of Spring. Nothing will ever replace it for those occasions. Thanks Chris!
21st September, 2018
Insense is a very frustrating fragrance to me. It has one of the best openings ever, a fantastic lily of the valley note, (one of my favorite flower that kept me entranced as a kid and now) which combined with the aldehydes and the coniferous notes makes a highly original, satisfying experience. Add to that the mastic (lentiscus) another delightful scented memory from growing up in the south of France, and I just love it. For a couple of hours... After which It just starts to feel grating and three hours in I just HAVE to have it off. It makes me feel just about sick.
It’s also very potent so even minimal application tend to yield the same result.
The very best and very worst in the same scent, something unique to Insense in my limited experience.
04th September, 2018
This is nice. It almost smells too familiar. To me, it smells like an Abercrombie and Fitch (A&F) store. I believe it was a concentrated version of A&F Fierce that they used to scent their shops. I feel like Chanel's Platinum Egoiste and Bleu de Chanel also capture some of that A&F smell, but then I don't smell any overlap between Insense and the Chanels.

Aside from the memory of A&F, this strikes me as a floral frankincense. It has a unisex, or even metro-sexual feel.

It also reminds me of lotion, maybe sunscreen.

I'm giving this a thumbs up. I think it smells nice and I like it. I could wear it and enjoy it. But it doesn't rise to the level of something I would want to buy. For Givenchy, Gentleman and Monsieur de Givenchy are a couple I have in my collection, but this one and Xeryus are ones that I don't like quite as much.
20th July, 2018 (last edited: 31st July, 2018)
Insensé appears to have a distant relation to Cool Water: the salty undertone, the bitter fruity direction, the flat topography; but there's even more going on here which is akin to another style of perfumery. Along with Kouros and Jules, Insensé is one of a small group of musky transparent skin scents for men who want to smell good but don't necessarily want to be outed as Perfume Lovers.

Insensé is a bitter, plasticky white floral; unsweet, astringent. Its texture is shiny-smooth, like a milky white glaze on a rough earthenware pot.

Like many masculines Insensé isn't that complex, there's not much of an overt theme here. It's rather elusive, pale and shy - but somehow not introverted. There's a discrete muscularity articulated by a peppery green resin note that pushes through the musks and the flowers at the core, and this in turn is nuanced by woods and powder that allow the base to grow a little sweeter.

And that's it. Pale and bland, and piquant. Without a clear direction it can get a little monotonous. I suppose if you like Brian Eno's Music for Airports you may go for this, but if you prefer Another Green World you may find Insensé a bit boring.

***
10th October, 2017 (last edited: 12th October, 2017)
If I'm to be completely honest, I really don't care about the history of this scent or the fact that it was ground-breaking when it was released because it was the first floral for men. What I care about is how it smells to me, and to me it just smells like an over-abundance of floral notes clubbing me over the head with little room to appreciate anything else that's going on. It's so uncompromising and powerful in how it presents the florals that I just don't dig it. There are floral fragrances I enjoy, where I find better structures, either smoother or more delicate, or used in combination with other notes as to present some contrast and interplay, but Insense is a no. In smell, it reminds me a bit of Kenzo Power, but even Power is light in comparison to this, which comes across to me as really just a floral monstrosity.
28th January, 2017
This review is for the vintage juice!

Insense by Givenchy is a really nice fragrance marketed for men containing many floral notes. Very much so that it is unusual but it works.

I get the basil, magnolia & lilly of the valley. This is such a green swampy fragrance. It smells of wet, swampy waters where gators, & bullfrogs reside in the midst of the damp forest.

I get between 6-8 hours of longevity out of this with arms reach projection. I enjoyed this particular aquatic fragrance which I normally don't tend to pursue, but it was so unique I had to have it until I got bored with it & sold it. Nice to have & get especially in it's vintage form.
30th June, 2016

Add your review of Insensé

Shop for Insensé products online

Search for on eBay United States

Givenchy Insense Soothing After Shave 3.3 3.4 ounce Vintage For Men

• USD $48.50
  • Time Left: 29 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Insense Givenchy After Shave Spray 1.7 fl. oz.

• USD $34.99

INSENSE ULTRAMARINE by Givenchy Cologne 3.3 / 3.4 oz New in Box

• USD $35.58
  • Time Left: 3 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Men Insense Givenchy EDT Spray 1.0 Oz 30 ml New in Box Very Rare (Not 3.3)

• USD $75.00

Givenchy Play Cologne Edt 5ml SAMPLE Pi Gentlemen Insense Pour Homme Very

• USD $7.49
  • Time Left: 25 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Rare/discontinued Givenchy Insense EDT 50ml/1.7oz splash! Smells great!

• USD $80.00