Insensé (1993)

PerfumerDaniel Moliere
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Insensé

The male partner to Givenchy's Amarige. Launched in 1993, it is a rarity for a male fragrance as it contains mainly floral notes.

Insensé fragrance notes

Reviews of Insensé

Insensé appears to have a distant relation to Cool Water: the salty undertone, the bitter fruity direction, the flat topography; but there's even more going on here which is akin to another style of perfumery. Along with Kouros and Jules, Insensé is one of a small group of musky transparent skin scents for men who want to smell good but don't necessarily want to be outed as Perfume Lovers.

Insensé is a bitter, plasticky white floral; unsweet, astringent. Its texture is shiny-smooth, like a milky white glaze on a rough earthenware pot.

Like many masculines Insensé isn't that complex, there's not much of an overt theme here. It's rather elusive, pale and shy - but somehow not introverted. There's a discrete muscularity articulated by a peppery green resin note that pushes through the musks and the flowers at the core, and this in turn is nuanced by woods and powder that allow the base to grow a little sweeter.

And that's it. Pale and bland, and piquant. Without a clear direction it can get a little monotonous. I suppose if you like Brian Eno's Music for Airports you may go for this, but if you prefer Another Green World you may find Insensé a bit boring.

***
10th October, 2017 (last edited: 12th October, 2017)
If I'm to be completely honest, I really don't care about the history of this scent or the fact that it was ground-breaking when it was released because it was the first floral for men. What I care about is how it smells to me, and to me it just smells like an over-abundance of floral notes clubbing me over the head with little room to appreciate anything else that's going on. It's so uncompromising and powerful in how it presents the florals that I just don't dig it. There are floral fragrances I enjoy, where I find better structures, either smoother or more delicate, or used in combination with other notes as to present some contrast and interplay, but Insense is a no. In smell, it reminds me a bit of Kenzo Power, but even Power is light in comparison to this, which comes across to me as really just a floral monstrosity.
28th January, 2017
This review is for the vintage juice!

Insense by Givenchy is a really nice fragrance marketed for men containing many floral notes. Very much so that it is unusual but it works.

I get the basil, magnolia & lilly of the valley. This is such a green swampy fragrance. It smells of wet, swampy waters where gators, & bullfrogs reside in the midst of the damp forest.

I get between 6-8 hours of longevity out of this with arms reach projection. I enjoyed this particular aquatic fragrance which I normally don't tend to pursue, but it was so unique I had to have it until I got bored with it & sold it. Nice to have & get especially in it's vintage form.
30th June, 2016
It sits squarely in between Lauder for Men and Baruti Melkmeisje. They all point to a Deep Green Forest and the Fir within. All are true and all shine light on the Conifer from a slightly different angle.
First rate and recommended.
At least the Vintage.
23rd June, 2016 (last edited: 17th November, 2017)
From a 3/4 full vintage bottle bought recently on Ebay.
I have a tendency to try and find the positives in too many fragrances I think, so maybe risk reviews being taken seriously. However, this is so good, so full and "healthy" and sunny, so deliciously spirit lifting, so... scrummy... I can't find the words. It just smells great, reminds me of happy, life affirming things, and makes me feel great wearing it.
Without wishing to plagiarise others' comments here, this is what I get in terms of notes : dense, waxy aldehydes (I increasingly love this note, but still can't really describe it), rich, red fruitiness swirling with floral notes, berries and flowers together, and something green and fresh (this part fades over time). I'm a serial oversprayer, but even I learned 3 (OK 4) is enough to brighten up almost your whole day. I'm not a great advocate of "seasonality", but if pressurised I'd say a summer, daytime scent, only because it's so pregnant with bright, vibrant, rich life.
Can't believe Givenchy stopped making this, but there you go.
Love it.
June 2016
21st June, 2016
I am not quite sure I understand the raves over this fragrance. Or the prolix reviews. I bought the vintage Insense, and have worn it on-and-off for a month, and I find it to be very nice. Is it perfect as some would say? Well, it does what it does well. I don't think it is a "must have" and a perfect fragrance that will soon be unavailable, and must be purchased. In structure; development; uniqueness; fascinating dry-down, it is good, but not as good as Hugh Parson's Blue which beats this in every category I just mentioned. Yes, it is a nice complex floral with great interposing sharp notes and accords that balance very well; and yes it dries down to a lovely green scent. It is fairly distinctive, so in my book that puts it a step above, and it is not a watered down fragrance so compared to others out there now, that's a good point too. Would I have bought this right off if I smelled it in a store? Maybe not. Would I have thought about it and mulled it over and thought about it, and finally bought it the way I obsessed about Duc de Vervins? I don't know. I bought it based upon the strength of the reviews here; and the fact that the vintage version is getting very hard to find; so I grabbed one. Maybe over time, I will find it magical. Then I will post an update. Right now I don't find it magical. It;s more like a clever card trick. Oh, that's too harsh, too harsh, forget I said that.
12th January, 2016

INSENSE ULTRAMARINE Cologne by Givenchy

• USD $14.00
  • Time Left: 29 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Insense Givenchy For Men EDT Spray 1.0 Oz 30ml (T e s t e r/ NoBox) Very Rare!

• USD $69.95
  • Time Left: 5 days

Insense Givenchy Men 1.7 1 2/3 oz 50 ml Eau De Toilette Spray New in Box

• USD $98.98
  • Time Left: 22 days

GIVENCHY INSENSE POUR HOMME ~ 1.7 OZ EAU DE TOILETTE ~ USED ? - BOXED

• USD $50.00
  • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now – 0 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 3 days

Insense Ultramarine by Givenchy for Men 3.3 oz EDT Spray Brand New

• USD $32.99
  • Time Left: 6 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Insense Givenchy After Shave Spray 1.7 fl. oz.

• USD $39.99