Jardin du Nil (1988)

Year of Launch1988

HouseMaître Parfumeur et Gantier
PerfumerJean Laporte

About Jardin du Nil

Jardin du Nil is a masculine fragrance by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. The scent was launched in 1988 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Laporte

Jardin du Nil fragrance notes

Reviews of Jardin du Nil

If you are NOT brave
If you do not LOVE fragrances
If you are NOT a lover of something completely different

Please do NOT buy this.
15th July, 2015
Genre: Floral

2007:
Peculiar. Jardin du Nil opens with aldehydic floral notes and an odd “stinky” accord that’s been described as “dirty socks” or “locker room.” I actually think the combination is a bit seductive, but I doubt many would agree. A very strong soapy note (detergent, even,) emerges as the fragrance develops, and this new component jars dramatically with the sustained dirty accent. I pick up a hard worked, post-coital body resting on freshly laundered sheets, while still bearing traces of last night’s floral perfume.

Though they don’t have too many actual notes in common, I class Jardin du Nil with Frederic Malle’s Une Fleur de Cassie as a dark, dirty, maybe even threatening floral scent. I can’t really decide whether I like it, but it sure is compelling. I don’t think I want to wear it much, but I keep coming back to it to figure it out. A thumbs up for daring and mystery. Maybe just a little too much mystery for me.

2009:
What nonsense: there's no such thing as too much mystery for me! I love my Jardin du Nil - the rest be damned! Mwahahahahah! (And the best part is that the peculiar "dirty socks" effect is still intact in the current formula.)
18th June, 2014
I have a vintage 90ml bottle.
I love the first hour. Smells very skanky.
Not indolic or fecal.
A strong stench.

Then it becomes an ethereal geranium/rose.
08th November, 2013
My favorite MPG fragrance! The whole composition (in particular the rose geranium in this 'unclean' surroundings does it) smells sort of vintage to me. I absolutely agree with my fellow reviewers about the 'dirty' vibe. It is a haunting, dark (in mood) and daring perfume that contradicts the 'cleanliness frenzy' today. Fantastic!
My review is for a vintage bottle (3 oz.), so I can't comment whether the current is still the same.
13th October, 2011
Usually, when we think about a rose scent, we think about something comfortable to wear, nice, clean and gently sensual. Well, if this is what you expect, stay carefully away from Jardin Du Nil. This composition has a dirty allure throughout, it's like spraying a perfume on the shirt you was wearing the day before, and maybe even two days before. A remarkable lived-in vibe on a massive rose / floral note laying on an ambery base. A daring fragrance, unique and absolutely compelling. If you like rose and are sick and tired of "pretty fragrances" you've to try this.
18th May, 2011 (last edited: 02nd November, 2011)
What an interesting fragrance. MPG (Jean Laporte) never ceases to amaze me with his unique creations. To be sure, Jardin du Nil is not for everyone. As others have mentioned, this cologne opens in strange (perhaps unpleasant, to some) fashion. Overripe fruit and yes, I definitely smell the essence that some have described as "dirty socks" or perhaps a sweaty locker room. But that subsides and the drydown is a beautiful, brooding aura as suggested by Dutchy: dark roses, ripe fruit sitting on a vendor's cart in the hot Egyptian sun, mixed herbs. I like it and as with so many other MPG colognes, I can't think of any similar fragrance from any other house. There probably isn't much middle ground on this one: I suspect you'll either find it repulsive or you'll love it as I do, for its special niche in your wardrobe.
04th June, 2010

Add your review of Jardin du Nil

Shop for Jardin du Nil products online

Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Jardin Du Nil EDT Spr

End Date: Saturday May-4-2019 21:07:01 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $182.74
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

*NEW* Jardin Du Nil by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier for Men 3.3 oz EDT Spray NIB

End Date: Wednesday May-15-2019 9:01:22 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $110.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Jardin du Nil

There are no member images of Jardin du Nil yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Jardin du Nil