Jazz (1988)

PerfumerJean-François Latty
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchYves Saint Laurent

About Jazz

A fresh light woody fragrance. An 'Old School' classic. The packaging was updated in 1998 when Live Jazz was launched, and is a reverse of the Live Jazz packaging.
Jazz was the first major launch from YSL after it reacquired the rights to its beauty business back from Charles of the Ritz in 1987.

Jazz fragrance notes

Reviews of Jazz

It's a nice and well assembled composition that seriously lacks any form of character to set this perfume apart as being an individual so for this fact alone there's just nothing that I find exciting about this to warrant wearing Jazz. These observations are based on an original Parfums Corp flacon. Jazz to me is a very safe scent with an average longevity and minimal sillage, this perfume rides fairly close to the skin for it's entire duration. You'd have to literally bathe in this stuff to create a stronger sillage. This is something that you'd wear regularly to the office when you don't want to draw unwanted attention. I don't and cannot pick up on this off putting accord that I've read mentioned here numerous times as something faecal or discordant.

Jazz to me is a simple lavender and artemesia focused perfume that lies on a soft sandalwood, oakmoss and tobacco base with a mild floral bouquet of geraniums, that's basically it, pretty non-descript, flat and bone dry in my opinion with very little note separation. Even if I did find this odor as appealing, the dryness in this is far too much. That complicated scent pyramid would make you think that Jazz has depth and character but this is a simple scent, boring almost. It brings to mind a less complex and less strong version of Azzaro Pour Homme in the first hour. The comparisons to Van Cleef's Tsar are apt and are the closest smell wise. Tsar is a much better choice though, much stronger, more complex, much more character and far more exciting. I dunno, this just didn't move me in the least. The very far end of this perfumes life on your skin 'does' have something sleek going about in the base notes but it's so hard to smell and decipher at that point that I just don't see any reason to wear this when there are so many other exciting choices to choose from. Overall and the final conclusion being is that Jazz leaves me feeling cold and is something that I'd never wear.

Personally, I believe that when the Parfums Corp had re-established their perfume license from Charles of the Ritz, they neutered a lot of the original Yves' perfumes. Kouros was turned into a nasty musk bomb in lieu of civet, that penetrating musk that sucks the air out of you and opium pour femme was weakened considerably with it's signature Mysore sandalwood toned way down. I feel that this introduction of Jazz to their perfume line was an attempt to obviously play it safe and create something as inoffensive or unexciting as possible... they succeeded.
11th January, 2018 (last edited: 12th January, 2018)
TeeEm Show all reviews
One of my all times favourites!
Very strong scent, non citrus, spicy, lasts long and reaches far
I first bought it in 1991
I bought it again in 2017
An evening perfume...
Enough said

06th January, 2018 (last edited: 07th January, 2018)
First fragrance I ever bought back in 1991 was Jazz. I was 14 years old. I bought it because I smelt it on the Father of one of my friends and because several girls at school had said they liked it. I can remember the first day I wore it. I felt 10 feet tall. Will forever remind me of being a kid. Looking back I don't think it was amazing stuff but the memories are!!
15th November, 2017 (last edited: 29th November, 2017)
Finally happy to try this as I've heard much about it, and YSL Jazz harkens back to the both the power fragrance era and the end of the era during which fougeres were prominent, as it seems to be both a bit of a fougere as well as a heavier spicier winter order.

I definitely get more "spicy" than "fresh" as I smell Jazz, but it's indubitably a bit of both. However, the lavender, from the opening through much of the dry down, remains a prominent accord that makes it lean toward fougere. However, the spicy elements of cinnamon, sandalwood, cedar, leather, tobacco, and most notably, oakmoss, take over in the dry down and give Jazz a heavier character than a "true" fougere, perhaps.

I'm not in love with Jazz specifically but I'm fond of the men's fragrances of the era, as many like this are masculine and strong and harken back to a time now 30 years removed.

As with many vintage 1980s, the performance is just fine, as it projects and lasts plenty.

7 out of 10
18th April, 2017
This is a very interesting take on the classic fougere genre. It is well balanced and quite light, compared to the heavier fougeres of the 1980s.

For me it begins with a combo of citrus and leather. It is both dry and fizzy with an increasing animalic background. The somewhat sharp and bitter dry down fights with the overlying sweetness, so ultimately it is not a winner in my book.

Points, however, for originality.

Turin gave it four stars and dubbed it a "fresh fougere."
15th October, 2015
It's the most complex scent ever made to my modest nose. What a marvellous fragrance dedicated to real and finest men! Jazz makes you attractive and self-confident with women.

One of my most complimented fragrances for sure! Perfect for a romantic date with a black suit...jackpot!

An aromatic fougère that never bores me.

In my top 5.

A masterpiece 9,8/10

Ps : my review for the original bottle as displayed here.
15th August, 2015

Add your review of Jazz

Shop for Jazz products online

Shop for Jazz at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Jazz