Jazz (1988)

PerfumerJean-François Latty
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchYves Saint Laurent

About Jazz

A fresh light woody fragrance. An 'Old School' classic. The packaging was updated in 1998 when Live Jazz was launched, and is a reverse of the Live Jazz packaging.
Jazz was the first major launch from YSL after it reacquired the rights to its beauty business back from Charles of the Ritz in 1987.

Jazz fragrance notes

Reviews of Jazz

It's the most complex scent ever made to my modest nose. What a marvellous fragrance dedicated to real and finest men! Jazz makes you attractive and self-confident with women.

One of my most complimented fragrances for sure! Perfect for a romantic date with a black suit...jackpot!

An aromatic fougère that never bores me.

In my top 5.

A masterpiece 9,8/10

Ps : my review for the original bottle as displayed here.
15th August, 2015
I was eighteen when I bought my very one special Jazz! For the first time I wore a perfume that forced me to grow... The very idea of jazz was far away from me in those days, but this perfume threw me into the world of jazz with an enthusiastic approach typical of my age. Not so normal that a perfume tell a story! In this case it was music to become didactically a photocopy of the emotions of the perfume.
As jazz music is, this perfume is cool, and it had a very “innovative” style in that period! As modern jazz It was characterized by its relaxed tempos (sandalwood, moss) and lighter tone (lavender, bergamot) in contrast to the bebop style of contemporary perfumery: in fact It was contrary to the perfumery bubbly that flowed from the 80s and different from the nonsense that were saturating the market in the 90s.
It wasn’t characterized by very fast times and innovative harmonics combinations of new chemical notes, it was hardly a classic!
Definitely a gothic boy wearing jazz was not just normal! Maybe I was just a conceptual goth and that profusion of black velvets and leather tinged with a purple touch was only my idea of carnation, amber and lavender.

“I say, play your own way. Don’t play what the public wants. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what you’re doing? even if it does take them fifteen, twenty years. “
Thelonious Monk

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

18th May, 2015
A nice lavender and spice combination. Starts off a bit urinal cakey. Not bad, not that nice either.
13th April, 2015
And finally I've found the roots of famous "YSL Rive Gauche". it has the same vibe but fresher and more versatile.
A beautiful and mesmerizing classic fragrance that I quite enjoy smelling it on my skin.

The opening of this fragrance is a fresh and clean kind of smell with good support of spices in the background. they grouped this as "Woody Aromatic" but I believe it's more like an "Aromatic Spicy" fragrance.
The freshness isn't citrusy or fruity like modern fragrances that we can see nowadays. the freshness is based on lavender with only touch of bergamot. the lavender note with help of bergamot giving the scent an aromatic bitter herbal kind of feel that gives the scent a fresh and clean and almost soapy aroma. some spices and very mellow floral notes can be sniffed in this part but not that much.

As time passes and in the mid I'm getting almost the same smell but now the spices are bolder with some woods in the background, a little stronger floral notes and some sweetness to give the scent a little warmth. the whole feeling of the scent is a bitter, herbal, mossy, green, fresh, floral, a little sweet and bold spicy that reminds me of being clean and energized. the smell is very familiar to my nose because I can remember soaps back in 80's and 90's used to smell like this but much more simplistic. that's why this fragrance gives me being clean feel.
It's a great choice if you like classic fragrance and it's spring time. also an amazing choice for when you just did take a shower.
Come out, spray this on your skin and feel 100 of times more clean and refreshed.
Projection is really good and Longevity is around 6 hours on my skin.
14th March, 2015
Genre: Fougère

Jazz is a surprisingly hard scent for me to nail down. The opening is nicely distinguished, with a bright, airy, and transparent blend of dry citrus and crisp, astringent herbaceous notes that’s only slightly marred by a short-lived burst of raw alcohol. Jazz remains decidedly dry and transparent, with an appealingly open texture and the persistent, pleasantly bracing bitter edge that comes from a well-blended artemisia note. The central movement emphasizes geranium, with very lightly applied spices lending some depth and contrast to the composition. Jazz’s mossy/woody drydown is very similar in weight and tone to Dior’s Eau Sauvage, but Jazz includes an ever-so-slightly sweet coumarin or tonka base note that tilts it away from chypre axis and firmly towards the fougère.

The entire scent is highly reserved, with an elusive quality that leaves it sometimes smelling faint, then suddenly present again, though rarely closer than the margins of perception. Paradoxically, Jazz offers substantial sillage, and seems to hang about the room well after its wearer has departed. I can’t describe Jazz as an exciting scent, but it is neither bland nor faceless. Instead it is cool, collected, and somehow detached. It smells clean, but not generically “sporty,” relaxed, yet never bumptious. In other words, the ideal “office scent.”
18th June, 2014
I love this fragrance...In my top five of all time. Great longevity...Good sillage. I really like it's versatility.

This is a beautiful fragrance that really surprised me. I guess nothing produced by Yves Saint Laurent should surprise me. Every fragrance that I have tried from this house is unique and of the highest quality...And every one of them is enjoyable in its own unique way. Thank you YSL for another winner.
11th January, 2013 (last edited: 09th May, 2013)

Add your review of Jazz

Shop for Jazz products online

Shop for Jazz at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Jazz

Member images of Jazz

There are no member images of Jazz yet. Why not be the first?