Jicky (1889)

PackagingGabriel Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Jicky

According to Guerlain folklore, this was named after an English student who Aimé Guerlain fell in love with. It was in fact named for his nephew, 305.

It was the first 'abstract' perfume as it wasn't reminiscent of one individual note. Apparently a fave of Sean Connery.

Jicky fragrance notes

Reviews of Jicky

Reviewing Jicky is like reviewing a Model T. Ford. Compared to today, Jicky and the Model T seem quaint and out-dated. BUT Jicky was the first fragrance ever manufactured with a theme that included artificial odors that don't occur in nature. Jicky was from another age, and is classic. Having said that, It isn't something that I want to wear. The Jasmine, patchouli, tonka, and civit combine to form an amberein accord, barber shop fragrance.
11th September, 2016
I hope to write more in due course, but on my testing so far, Jicky opens up in a way similar to l'Humaniste or Allure Edition Blanche. However, it dries down to a more substantial Guerlainade base of vanilla, amber, and, if the marketing is to be believed, civet. I would have it down more as a masculine myself, and could see it as being a superb choice for a transition to evening wear in summer. It gains in character over time... certainly a rung or two above the others I've mentioned.
01st September, 2016
This is for the vintage Parfum De Toilette

Jicky is mostly lavender, vanilla, spices with a almost gourmand gingerbread vibe to it. I must admit I am not a fan of lavender fragrances, but it is done right here with this particular fume & the notes added alongside it blends in so well it is very good.

That lovely civet kicks in & gives it that one, two PUNCH! I just love NATURAL civet in fragrances, it adds such a dirty, sexy vibe to the composition. This was created & marketed for women but it can EASILY pass for unisex or even a men's frag.

This beauty last on my 5-6 hours, & projects nicely for the first couple of hours & the rest leaves alot to be desired.
I expected greater longevity from this one but it just is not happening. Tho the Parfum De Toilette is what EDP's are today, The notes here are more natural & less synthetic which is always good.

I'd certainly make this a signature scent doing the fall as it reeks, class, beauty & sophistication with the right amount of sex! A classic & underrated beauty for sure!
30th June, 2016
To me, Jicky is #1! It is without a doubt my favorite scent and I always have a bottle on hand.
I have tried the EDT which is too fleeting on me and then the PDT which is now I think discontinued or at least very hard to find. What I prefer and own is the parfum. I am never without it in my collection and am always saving my $$ to purchase it. One dab to the chest and one dab in the crook of each elbow and I am good to go!
I am a fan of animalic fragrances and especially the civet heavy ones like Jicky, Ungaro II, Kouros and the like. I love the skank, I guess....
Jicky is evanescent and can smell differently every time you wear it...even from moment to moment, the scent can change. It is very beguiling....I love that about it. My very favorite scent....
Despite the reformulations, it is still a masterpiece from Guerlain and the fact that it is the oldest perfume still being made is a testament to it's genius....
I get so many compliments when I am wearing this....one friend of mine always wants to put her nose into my chest because she finds it so alluring.....what could be wrong with that?
Bravo....to me Jicky is and always will be #1.

I have an addenda to this review: I am now working on a current version purchased in 2016 of the parfum....my favorite scent has lost some of it's oomph! There is much less civet in the parfum version than there used to be. Not only has Jicky been somewhat prettied up: the staying power and skin scent ability are gone. I used to smell this on me from one application in the AM to bedtime in the PM when I would undress....
Now it is gone in about 4 hours on me....the initial projection is minimized and the on skin scent after the drydown is totally gone.
I wish they hadn't discontinued the PDT version....
that one had the most civet I think....I think using less civet in the composition not only makes Jicky too tame, it has lessened the fixative properties.
24th June, 2016 (last edited: 01st October, 2016)
This review is for the vintage extrait.

The lavender note in Jicky is very strong with the vanilla and lemon notes following closely alongside. I did not detect any wood or spices in the extrait. Jicky is strongly reminiscent of the classic "barber shop" smell. Projection, sillage, and longevity on my skin were all long lasting. It is a high quality parfum, but it was a bit too masculine for my taste, and it had too much of the barber-shop vibe. I am sorry it did not work for me given its obvious high quality, and its very good projection, sillage, and longevity. Alas, if only all parfums performed this well.....

Fragrance: 5/10

Projection: 9/10

Sillage: 9/10

Longevity: 9/10
17th April, 2016
This is a review for the current EDP, which I love. Of course, it is neither as potent nor as strange as the vintage juice, but it is still a heady and captivating blend of notes. I actually prefer Jicky to Shalimar, which is famously said to have been the result of Jacques Guerlain's adding an overdose of vanillin to a bottle of Jicky.

Jicky is complex and intriguing to my nose, even if it lacks the oomph of yesteryear. I doubt that I'll ever invest in a current extrait version, considering the expense:reformulation ratio, but this EDP suits me just fine.
12th March, 2016 (last edited: 19th March, 2016)

Add your review of Jicky

Shop for Jicky products online

Shop for Jicky at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Jicky

Member images of Jicky

There are no member images of Jicky yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Jicky (1889)