Jicky (1889)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 660 ratings

Jicky Fragrance Notes

Jicky information

According to Guerlain folklore, this was named after an English student who Aimé Guerlain fell in love with. It was in fact named for his nephew, 305.

It was the first 'abstract' perfume as it wasn't reminiscent of one individual note. Apparently a fave of Sean Connery.

Shop for Jicky products online

90ml EdT
    92ml EdT
    90ml EdT
    $114.18*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 73.00)
    $102.76*
    50ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 65.70)

Reviews of Jicky

Showing 1 to 6 of 122 reviews.

Darvant's avatar

Finally (tested Jicky again on skin after years) I decide to drop in here a comment about this classic. Well, I have to admit Jicky is a great fragrance for sure despite not the greatest in the Guerlain's masterpieces range (in my humble opinion of course) and not my favorite from this historical brand which is a stable element of my life. Jicky doesn't work a lot on my skin and fades in a short time. A pity, it seems impalpable. The aroma itself could be described as a glorious powdery/animalic, floral and musky lavender-bergamot-amber accord. Inebriant, freshly "white" and classy. At the beginning this accord performs by soon "gloriously" and (I'm sure about) veined by a touch of rising civet (I detect a sort of fecal nuance in the middle of a musky-green animalic powder which supports the emphatic bergamot-patchouli twists). The gereral atmosphere is freshly musky-eliotropic-hesperidic and at once warmly ambery, woody powdery and vaguely baroque. There is a typical great Guerlain's vanilla final appointment and a spark of Guerlinade (a "particularly orchestrated" game of hesperides, spicy/incensey/almondy/eliotropic/anisic/organic powder, aldehydes, orris-rose and rooty patchouli). The drier Shalimar Parfum Initial more than the (darker and more resinous) classic Shalimar jumps on mind. Of course I see the reference to Ungaro II which keeps appearing more resinous and sticky (more spicy/orangy/herbal/ambery/animalic) under my profane nose (I detect indeed in Ungaro II a more properly visceral and sticky ambery approach than a more restrained, silky, armonic and "chypre" powderiness). Another great piece of classicism.

09th November, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2014)

malacoda's avatar

Absolutely amazing.

Of the 70 or so fragrances I've tried over the past 18 months, Jicky is one of only 3 that have made me stand up and say 'definitely HAVE to have this one' the second it touched my skin.

Both the EdT, EdP, and extract all smell great.

On my slightly dry skin, the EdP has significantly more longevity than the EdT. And during dry down, a touch more of the civet is noticeable in the extract than the EdP (after dry down they're both more or less same to my nose with the EdP having just the slightest hint more intensity).

Am a lit surprised though...

Longevity of the extract on my skin is only a little better than that of the EdP - nowhere near enough to justify the extra ~$150 in price.

As I said though, I don't care if Jicky is now positioned in the market as women's fragrance - it is one scent I "just HAVE to have."

20th September, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Review for the Eau de Parfum...

Reviewing something like Jicky isn't an easy task... but I'll try and give it a go.

Simply put, if you don't know much about fragrance, Jicky is basically the ancestor of practically every modern perfume we have today. Although it was not the first perfume to use synthetic notes (as opposed to those inspired by nature), it was different in that it was based on an abstract concept. Emotion (this was a perfume inspired by a person, and memories associated with them). All perfumes before either related to a place or a natural ingredient (a bouquet of flowers, a single flower, eau de cologne etc.). Fougère Royale by Houbigant was released 6 years before Jicky and used a synthetic note: Coumarin (an Almond and Hay-like note derived from Tonka Beans). However this was just a single synthetic note. Here, Aimé Guerlain used not just Coumarin, but also Linalool (a Minty, spicy-fresh type note), and Ethyl-Vanillin (a Vanilla derivative). The result? The foundation for all modern perfume. The world's first truly abstract (i.e. "Modern") perfume.

So what does this 125 year old creation smell like? Well, it doesn't smell simple. It's complex, and not old either. Jicky is essentially a Lavender-Vanilla combination, but not just that. It's also dirty and warm, due to use of Civet (an animalic, Musky note), which gives it a very intimate and a very human, almost sexual feel in the background. For me I get 4 main notes: bitter Bergamot, sweet Lavender, a dry and almost nutty, sweet Hay note (from the Coumarin/Tonka Bean), and warm, dirty Civet (animal musk). It's such a strange mix but really fascinating to wear. I basically get sweet Hay and dry Lavender, with a hint of bitter-sharp Lemon and Bergamot, before settling down to a deep, sensual Vanilla and warm Musk combination which stays until the end.

Even after all these years... Jicky is still a very hard one to describe. But it's certainly a direct ancestor of all Lavender-Vanilla combinations since (including Pour un Homme de Caron and even Jean-Paul Gaultier's Le Male). It's also the direct predecessor of Shalimar (Jacques Guerlain later added a huge dose of Vanilla to Jicky and created Shalimar).

The other question: is it for men or for women? Originally it was a unisex/masculine scent. But very few men wore something as complex as Jicky, and afterwards was embraced by women (not at first, because of the skanky, animal-like Musk note). But time has proven that Jicky is truly androgynous, as it belongs to the fougère family of fragrances directed towards men (the Herbs & Lavender "barbershop" feel), but at the same time was dirty and sensual and sweet with a Vanilla and Amber base, and was later adopted by modern, independent women. The list of people who wore this includes Sean Connery and Roger Moore, but also Brigitte Bardot and Jackie Kennedy. It really doesn't have a gender. Even the name "Jicky" was either a nickname for an English girl whom Aimé Guerlain loved (called Jacqueline) or his nephew, Jacques Guerlain (who would later create Shalimar).

Basically, there is no other way to say this but that Jicky is a work of art and the DNA ancestor of all modern perfume. Without this, there wouldn't be a Shalimar, or a Chanel No. 5, or any other "abstract" type of perfume which uses rich, sensual ingredients and which is not inspired purely by nature.

My advice? Try it, not just because of the history and significance... but also because you may be surprised and challenged. It's not for everyone, and it's a little strange to many people, but if you approach it with an open mind, you may really grow to like or even fall in love with it. Jicky is as French as the Eiffel Tower, and like an impressionist painting... is to be appreciated as art and with respect in order to understand where modern perfume-making came from.

10th September, 2014

Casiquire's avatar

I really wanted to like this one, but something was just off for me. There is a note in here similar to anise, and I wish it was smoothed out by the lavender but it actually ends up making the lavender itself smell sharp and spicy. Odd considering there's only one other review even mentioning anise, but I strongly agree with that one--all I smell is spicy anise and tonka. It lasts a nice long while on my skin but I didn't get any of that creamy lemon I read about or any of the woodiness. I didn't notice the civet right at first at all but it did come out a tiny bit later in the day and it was very intriguing but unfortunately it didn't really improve the smell itself. I do appreciate this smell for what it is, though! And I have a laugh reading how many people call this a "simple" smell, and then proceed to give a description that's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from everyone else's description. Clearly this is a smell that's heavily dependent on the formulation and the specific skin type and fluctuates wildly. I like that in a smell! And I like the quality too. It's just not the smell for me.

13th August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

I have an odd relationship with Jicky. I can't deny that it's brilliantly composed, with high quality ingredients (vanilla, lavender, and civet,) that appeal to me, but I've never been compelled by it. Why? I'm not sure. When I wear the closely related Shalimar, Jicky seems incomplete. When I wear the equally civet-drenched Ungaro II, Jicky seems a little bit tame. When I want lavender, I invariably turn to Caron pour un Homme. In the end all I can say is that while I acknowledge Jicky's high status, I rarely enjoy wearing it. Thumbs up because it is a great scent and an important landmark, no matter how I feel about it personally.

19th June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

A perfect, timeless blend of herbal notes with a darker slightly animalic soul on a soothing, cozy powdery vanillin bed. Basically the ultimate cathedral of fougères. It's useless for me to list all the notes you smell as - like for many well-crafted scents that use good ingredients and a good composition - they are all there, you can smell them apart one by one. And still the result is a harmonic, perfect, superb, unique symphony. Neatly composed like a good handmade seven-folds tie, which stands perfectly plain and compact down your neck but you can easily feel all the folds just rubbing it between your fingers.

08th April, 2014

• Time Left: 4 days
    HIGHEST BID
    Jicky by Guerlain for Eau De Parfum Spray Refill For Women 1.7 oz 50ml New
    (Shipping from United States)
    Jicky by Guerlain 1.7oz EDT (T) Package NEW!
    • Time Left: 16 days
    STARTING BID
    Jicky Eau de Parfum Refill 1.7 oz EDP 50 ml by Guerlain for Women NIB
    • Time Left: 7 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    JICKY BY GUERLAIN FOR WOMEN PARFUM SPRAY 30 ML / 1 OZ. NEW (T)