Jicky (1889)

PackagingGabriel Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Jicky

According to Guerlain folklore, this was named after an English student who Aimé Guerlain fell in love with. It was in fact named for his nephew, 305.

It was the first 'abstract' perfume as it wasn't reminiscent of one individual note. Apparently a fave of Sean Connery.

Jicky fragrance notes

Reviews of Jicky

My original and first fine fragrance love, your first is always special. I love the initial lavender blast and adore the dry down into patchouli and vetiver, finally settling with civet and tobacco. On my skin it is a beautiful blend. moderately projecting and long lasting. Redolent of days out in Stratford and Oxford to me.
I've shared with family and friends but it truly does need to be tested as it can behave quite differently on different people with unexpected elements revealing themselves.
23rd August, 2017
This makes me think of Heritage, which I absolutely adore, except in this I find the lavender much more pronounced. It’s also quite herby. I totally get the sophisticated, dapper old man vibe – complete with natty waistcoat, discreet but interesting bow tie, and immaculately coiffed hair. There’s something deliciously cool about this – I could just imagine spritzing this in the heat of summer, after a refreshing dip in the pool or a nice cool shower. I asked my husband to have a sniff of this, and he said that it makes him think of Morocco, because of the spices. I like this, a lot, but not as much as Shalimar.
19th August, 2017
Reviewing Jicky is like reviewing a Model T. Ford. Compared to today, Jicky and the Model T seem quaint and out-dated. BUT Jicky was the first fragrance ever manufactured with a theme that included artificial odors that don't occur in nature. Jicky was from another age, and is classic. Having said that, It isn't something that I want to wear. The Jasmine, patchouli, tonka, and civit combine to form an ambrein accord, barber shop fragrance.
11th September, 2016 (last edited: 03rd July, 2017)
I hope to write more in due course, but on my testing so far, Jicky opens up in a way similar to l'Humaniste or Allure Edition Blanche. However, it dries down to a more substantial Guerlainade base of vanilla, amber, and, if the marketing is to be believed, civet. I would have it down more as a masculine myself, and could see it as being a superb choice for a transition to evening wear in summer. It gains in character over time... certainly a rung or two above the others I've mentioned.
01st September, 2016
This is for the vintage Parfum De Toilette

Jicky is mostly lavender, vanilla, spices with a almost gourmand gingerbread vibe to it. I must admit I am not a fan of lavender fragrances, but it is done right here with this particular fume & the notes added alongside it blends in so well it is very good.

That lovely civet kicks in & gives it that one, two PUNCH! I just love NATURAL civet in fragrances, it adds such a dirty, sexy vibe to the composition. This was created & marketed for women but it can EASILY pass for unisex or even a men's frag.

This beauty last on my 5-6 hours, & projects nicely for the first couple of hours & the rest leaves alot to be desired.
I expected greater longevity from this one but it just is not happening. Tho the Parfum De Toilette is what EDP's are today, The notes here are more natural & less synthetic which is always good.

I'd certainly make this a signature scent doing the fall as it reeks, class, beauty & sophistication with the right amount of sex! A classic & underrated beauty for sure!
30th June, 2016
To me, Jicky is #1! It is without a doubt my favorite scent and I always have a bottle on hand.
I have tried the EDT which is too fleeting on me and then the PDT which is now I think discontinued or at least very hard to find. What I prefer and own is the parfum. I am never without it in my collection and am always saving my $$ to purchase it. One dab to the chest and one dab in the crook of each elbow and I am good to go!
I am a fan of animalic fragrances and especially the civet heavy ones like Jicky, Ungaro II, Kouros and the like. I love the skank, I guess....
Jicky is evanescent and can smell differently every time you wear it...even from moment to moment, the scent can change. It is very beguiling....I love that about it. My very favorite scent....
Despite the reformulations, it is still a masterpiece from Guerlain and the fact that it is the oldest perfume still being made is a testament to it's genius....
I get so many compliments when I am wearing this....one friend of mine always wants to put her nose into my chest because she finds it so alluring.....what could be wrong with that?
Bravo....to me Jicky is and always will be #1.

I have an addenda to this review: I am now working on a current version purchased in 2016 of the parfum....my favorite scent has lost some of it's oomph! There is much less civet in the parfum version than there used to be. Not only has Jicky been somewhat prettied up: the staying power and skin scent ability are gone. I used to smell this on me from one application in the AM to bedtime in the PM when I would undress....
Now it is gone in about 4 hours on me....the initial projection is minimized and the on skin scent after the drydown is totally gone.
I wish they hadn't discontinued the PDT version....
that one had the most civet I think....I think using less civet in the composition not only makes Jicky too tame, it has lessened the fixative properties.
24th June, 2016 (last edited: 01st October, 2016)

Add your review of Jicky

Shop for Jicky products online

Shop for Jicky at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Jicky

Member images of Jicky

There are no member images of Jicky yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Jicky (1889)