Joop! Homme (1989)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Joop! Homme

Joop! Homme was a bit of a shock when it first appeared. Bright pink liquid, Pink box. Sweet smell, and its for Men? However, over ten years down the line it has proved to be a classic. A tip though: The fragrance is quite potent, SO PLEASE DON'T SPRAY YOURSELF IN HALF A BOTTLE OF IT BEFORE YOU GO OUT.

Joop! Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Joop! Homme

This is quite possibly the most powerful of the powerhouses from the 80's, and it makes perfect sense that it would come right at the very end of that decade, just as aquatics, new-generation "fresh" fougeres, and ozonics were coming into vogue. "Joop!" Took everyone by surprise and shocked as many people who tried it as walked past somebody wearing it, which seems to be the point of the scent; get everyone's attention at all costs. It's a very gender-neutral for a masculine scent with it's humongous blast of fruit and flowers, but it has the kind of depth only allowed to mid-century feminines and typical masculine fougeres, meaning it could be marketed as either, really. I discovered this stuff pretty much on recommendation of a friend, as it was one of his father's go-to scents, and he swore by anything his father liked (this was how I ended up discovering Drakkar Noir as well). Joop! seemed quite a go-getter with it's loud pink/purple juice and exclamation point on the bottle, and when you "jooped" it onto your skin, there it would stay until next time you washed. The stuff literally does have near-infinite longevity and will need to be laundered from clothes if you apply it there, it's -that strong-. I don't know why they just don't call this stuff Eau de Parfum, but maybe that implies too much femininity, despite masculine parfums appearing not a decade or so later anyway.

The smell of Joop! opens with fruit fruit fruit fruit and spice like somebody is bashing your skull in with a mallet made of Cheerwine bottles and cherry sours dipped in cinnamon sugar. Orange blossom, jasmine, and honeysuckle makes the transition from that intense spicy fruit blast, carrying you into an abyss of florals until the scent finally dries down somewhat into a mire of practically every common fougere base note known to man: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Tonka bean, Musk, and Vanilla are all there having a fist fight over who gets to catch you as you fall into a pit of olfactory over-stimulation. In the end, nobody catches you, the trust-fall has failed, and you continue to plummet until you're able to shower later on. The heart and base notes last virtually until you scrub them off yourself or your clothes, as mentioned before, and this stuff is so virile that literally 2 sprays is all most people ever need. Depending on the weather, 2 sprays may still be too much and this is most certainly NOT a humid weather or summer day scent. PLEASE DO NOT WEAR IT UNDER THESE CONDITIONS OR EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU. Every experience I've had with other guys wearing this has always been one where I can smell them coming before I see them, so it goes without saying that you need to take great care in harnessing the awesome power of this one. Think of Uncle Ben talking to Peter Parker about great responsibility, and you get my point.

I think it's quite unique, and a tremendous value considering it's price and potency, but I have to knock it down a peg a bit in overall rating because I've just been overexposed and burned out from this scent one too many times. I literally still have the original bottle I bought in the 1990's because I can't bring myself to use this after all the bad run-ins with people wearing this. Joop! is the cologne for cologne guys that want to live their stereotype of being called out for their scent du jour, and don't always care if that is a positive or negative call out at that. It's spawned an entire line of related products and flankers thanks to it's success, and it has become a little less ubiquitous post 2010 than it was for the first 20 years, due to the darker and dustier scents returning to vogue (thanks Tom Ford) but I think this kind of sweet and syrupy scent is moving into "classic" or even "niche" territory is a long way off, as it's reputation is nearly that of Eternity. A few other design houses went for the potency and thickness of this stuff in their fragrances throughout the 90's as if they were trying to make a trope out of what Parfums Joop had done, but it ended up not panning out, and I can remember stuff like Iceberg Twice and Aura by Jacomo just smelling too heavy but not distinct like this did. If you like lots of fruit and flowers, go for this one, but otherwise, give it a wide berth. You've probably already smelled this somewhere and just didn't know what it was if you've worked retail or spend a lot of time in white-collar middle management, that's where Joop! tends to stalk it's prey.

26th October, 2017 (last edited: 28th October, 2017)
I got this because i am searching for uniqueness. I definitely found it with Joop!, but not in the way I like. I'm not sure how you can see it doesnt smell of hairspray, because I definitely get that during the first few minutes. Its abundantly sweet, which I don't like, however I am giving it a chance because as it dries I am getting something that i like. Still testing so I can't comment on longevity, however sillage seems good.

I am wearing it on a very hot and humid day, so it's applicable in my opinion.

This is not for you if you like masculine or mature. Fresh, sporty or citrusy. Aquatic. Don't waste your money, get a vial to sample. I feel like Fahrenheit lovers will like Joop!.
18th August, 2017
I was a teenager when Joop! was released and I'm just now discovering it. After wearing it several times, I'm wondering how I ever missed this one in its prime.
Joop! breaks all the rules. From its outlandish pink bottle to its almost sickly sweet scent. However, this is a rebel that really hits the mark in my book.
Many fragrances blend in, smell very similar to other fragrances, never really stand out as their own. Joop! is different. Joop! is absolutely unmistakable. One of the most unique scents I have ever experienced.
I'm not able to analyze individual notes but there is something about Joop! that has me sniffing my own shirt throughout the day. It intrigues me every time I wear it.
Did I mention that this stuff lasts FOREVER and has great sillage. I can see how this scent can be off-putting when it is over used and over applied. It's brilliant if used with care. Joop! certainly has its share of haters but most of the best ones do. Count me in as a big fan.
05th July, 2017
I must admit that I do like the smell of Joop! It projects like a beast and lasts forever. The problem is that I can no longer wear it. It just reminds me of being a kid. Semi permanent girlfriends, not knowing where I was going in life, nightclubs and ultimately lots of silly decisions. Sorry Joop! I like you but I no longer love you!
13th June, 2017
Toxic Sludge!!!

Joop must have been dredged up from the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn!! This toxic stuff is just vile! The most vile cologne I have ever smelled!! I was given a small bottle around 2000 for helping a friend of a friend move. Turns out she thought I stunk from BO, granted the hot, humid tropical climate I live in, no wonder!! If you want to cover up a BO smell with something just as vile then Joop is for you. Joop announces you long before you arrive and like a smoke damaged house after a fire, lingers forever. The smelll of Joop literally will fill an entire room, office or even night club! And linger long after. I honestly gave this stuff a try and each time it smelled like somebody puked cotton candy with cherry cough syrup. It's just so disgustingly sweet. It smells exactly like it looks!! To me it just smells inner city, ghetto and when mixed with certain peoples body chemistry or body odor it just becomes a bio hazard! It's for the young definitely. The sillage is a 10 and the longevity is a 10 and not in a good way.
16th May, 2017 (last edited: 18th May, 2017)
ten years ago this scent was forced on me by a workmate that wore it faithfully and it was used as his way of showering , very dirty man so for years after leaving that job it was Darryl that came to mind whenever I saw a bottle of Joop, well being the open minded guy that I am I thought I would buy a bottle to add to my collection and boy do I wish I hadn't.
It took me back to memories of dirty Darryl and I can't escape it, Is it the fault of the juice?, probably not but to me Its disgustingly sweet mixed with burnt wire insulation and this juice doesn't quit, If you want to mask a smell of some kind like, oh I dunno, death and decomposition then Joop is the one.
Other than that it's not even remotely bearable and should not be forced upon any of your workmates, that is unless you truly dislike them.
But that's just my opinion, your mileage may very but please, keep this stuff far away from me thank you very much.
05th April, 2017