Joop! Homme (1989)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Joop! Homme

Joop! Homme was a bit of a shock when it first appeared. Bright pink liquid, Pink box. Sweet smell, and its for Men? However, over ten years down the line it has proved to be a classic. A tip though: The fragrance is quite potent, SO PLEASE DON'T SPRAY YOURSELF IN HALF A BOTTLE OF IT BEFORE YOU GO OUT.

Joop! Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Joop! Homme

I first discovered Joop! Pour Homme in the early 1990's and I remember being confused as to whether it was for women or men (pink liquid, super sweet, etc). I didn't know the difference between Eau de Toilette or Pour Homme or Parfum. I liked the scent,and two dabs on the neck lasted the entire day. This is one of the most powerful and potent scents you will come across in an EDT concentration. A true 80's and early 90's powerhouse in every sense of the word.

The initial blast is a wonderful blend of vanilla, cherry, amber and tonka bean, which projects extremely well and is quite sexy for a vanilla and cherry based men's fragrance. It is synthetic, and can be somewhat offensive in the first hour as it projects at least ten feet away and is very sweet and syrupy until it settles down.

After the first couple hours, this scent becomes a masterpiece. The amber comes out and balances out the cherry and vanilla notes. It smells very sweet but also very potent and masculine. A base of musk, tonka bean, vanilla, amber carries on throughout the life of this fragrance, and it smells better the longer you wear it.

With a liberal application of about ten sprays to the neck, chest, wrists and shoulders, I usually get a fantastic 15-18+ hours of longevity, with several days and even weeks on clothes and fabrics. After the first ten hours, it calms down but still projects really well, especially in cold weather. Even with a modest six sprays, this will last you easily over 10-12+ hours.

It performs superbly in spring and fall weather, especially outdoors, but is better suited for colder weather as the sweetness can be cloying in high summer heat. Sillage is powerful on this juice. This is a perfect nightclub, night on the town, evening out type of fragrance. And I always get compliments from gorgeous ladies and even guys when I wear this. Women love sweet, gourmand scents and especially amber based fragrances, so Joop! fits perfectly.

All in all, this is a fantastic scent that never fails to get compliments whenever I wear it. This is for a well dressed, clean shaven, muscular, preppy and intelligent man who is confident and comfortable enough to wear a pink polo shirt with club shorts and loafers. Love it or hate it, you either have what it takes to wear this scent or you don't. It is a true classic, and a masterpiece in my opinion. Highly recommended.
20th April, 2018
TAKE IT FROM ME;
as well as what another guy said,
This Fragrance smells like Hair Spray.
I'm glad I tested it 1st, because I sure was gonna buy it after seeing all the Basenotes in it.
31st March, 2018
This fragrance is not for the average nose. That's why there're so many negative reviews about it. It's a very complex fragrance, and you really need to understand about perfumes and have experience in order to truly appreciate it.
First and obviously, you can't spray too much of it, 3 sprays is the maximum. Otherwise it will become overwhelming. Like a poison, where dosing is the key.
Anyway, the drydown is totally killer on this fragrance. Insanely amazing. Shortly after you spray it you don't get the true beauty of it, but after like 3 or 4 hours you get the true amazing effect of this perfume. I have almost 40 fragrances on my personal collection, and I think this must be one of the most sensual fragrances I've ever worn. And it's top 3 on my collection on the sensuality department. I believe only the vintage M7 can rival it on this, among all my personal collection. Xeryus Rouge could try as well, but I believe it would be behind.
The orange blossom is really noticeable on this fragrance, and key on it. It turns into a very deep, warm, sensual and involving smell after the drydown, about 3~4 hours. I keep trying to decipher all of it's notes, this fragrance is that complex. It's a combination of flowers, vanilla, sandalwood, cinnamon that truly is amazing. If you sweat slightly, you will feel the power of it. What is more impressive is that this was made in 1989, a time where the norm was the very manly oak-moss heavy fragrances. It was so much ahead of its time.
Anyway, I am still trying to figure out this fragrance completely, I started wearing it only a few days ago, and had it in my collection for years. Didn't wear it before only because of pre-judgement based on other people's negative opinions. Don't be like me, try this yourself and get your own conclusions, don't bother about what you read on the internet.
Just don't go under the sun with it, I think it's not the best environment for it.
19th January, 2018
TeeEm Show all reviews
A very nice and very different smell which cannot be mistaken for anything else ... a real head-turner. I first came across it in 1994 ... It was very strong, lasted for ages, could be smelt from far and received positive remarks.
I bought it a few months ago but either this was a fake or out of date because it was weak and could not smell it after 30 minutes or so... My partner used it up on a daily basis to deodorize the bed cover so we used it all up.
My review is for the original as I remember it
06th January, 2018
My hubby smells amazing!!! Mmm mmmm!!! Yummy
21st December, 2017
This is quite possibly the most powerful of the powerhouses from the 80's, and it makes perfect sense that it would come right at the very end of that decade, just as aquatics, new-generation "fresh" fougeres, and ozonics were coming into vogue. "Joop!" Took everyone by surprise and shocked as many people who tried it as walked past somebody wearing it, which seems to be the point of the scent; get everyone's attention at all costs. It's very gender-neutral for a masculine scent with it's humongous blast of fruit and flowers, but it has the kind of depth only allowed to mid-century feminines and typical masculine fougères, meaning it could be marketed as either, really. I discovered this stuff pretty much on recommendation of a friend, as it was one of his father's go-to scents, and he swore by anything his father liked (this was how I ended up discovering Drakkar Noir as well). Joop! seemed quite a go-getter with it's loud pink/purple juice and exclamation point on the bottle, and when you "jooped" it onto your skin, there it would stay until next time you washed. The stuff literally does have near-infinite longevity and will need to be laundered from clothes if you apply it there, it's -that strong-. I don't know why they just don't call this stuff Eau de Parfum, but maybe that implies too much femininity, despite masculine parfums appearing not a few years or so later anyway.

The smell of Joop! opens with fruit fruit fruit fruit and spice like somebody is bashing your skull in with a mallet made of Cheerwine bottles and cherry sours dipped in cinnamon sugar. Orange blossom, jasmine, and honeysuckle makes the transition from that intense spicy fruit blast, carrying you into an abyss of florals until the scent finally dries down somewhat into a mire of practically every common fougère base note known to man: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Tonka bean, Musk, and Vanilla are all there having a fist fight over who gets to catch you as you fall into a pit of olfactory over-stimulation. In the end, nobody catches you, the trust-fall has failed, and you continue to plummet until you're able to shower later on. The heart and base notes last virtually until you scrub them off yourself or your clothes, as mentioned before, and this stuff is so dense that literally 2 sprays is all most people ever need. Depending on the weather, 2 sprays may still be too much and this is most certainly NOT a humid weather or summer day scent. PLEASE DO NOT WEAR IT UNDER THESE CONDITIONS OR EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU. Every experience I've had with other guys wearing this has always been one where I can smell them coming before I see them, so it goes without saying that you need to take great care in harnessing the awesome power of this one. Think of Uncle Ben talking to Peter Parker about great responsibility, and you get my point.

I think it's quite a unique floral take on the "big 80's" masculine style, presaging a lot of future gourmands with it's candied sweetness. It's a tremendous value if you like it, considering it's price and potency, but I have to knock it down a peg a bit in overall rating because I've just been overexposed and burned out from this scent one too many times. I literally still have the original bottle I bought in the 1990's because I can't bring myself to use this after all the bad run-ins with people wearing this. Joop! is the cologne for cologne guys that want to live their stereotype to the fullest, like being called out for their scent du jour, and don't always care if that is a positive or negative call out at that. It's spawned an entire line of related products and flankers thanks to it's success, and it has become a little less ubiquitous post 2010 than it was for the first 20 years, due to the darker and dustier scents returning to vogue (thanks Tom Ford) but I think this kind of sweet and syrupy scent is moving into "classic" or even "niche" territory is a long way off, as it's reputation is nearly that of Eternity for Men which came out the same year, just with less controversy. If you like lots of fruit and flowers, go for this one, but otherwise, give it a wide berth. You've probably already smelled this somewhere and just didn't know what it was if you've worked retail or spend a lot of time in white-collar middle management, that's where Joop! tends to stalk it's prey.

26th October, 2017 (last edited: 28th February, 2018)

Add your review of Joop! Homme

Shop for Joop! Homme products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Joop! Homme