Joop! Homme (1989)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Joop! Homme

Joop! Homme was a bit of a shock when it first appeared. Bright pink liquid, Pink box. Sweet smell, and its for Men? However, over ten years down the line it has proved to be a classic. A tip though: The fragrance is quite potent, SO PLEASE DON'T SPRAY YOURSELF IN HALF A BOTTLE OF IT BEFORE YOU GO OUT.

Joop! Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Joop! Homme

Wow. This stuff is rough. I obtained a bottle of the original formula (with 'Homme' above).
Blasting opening of cherry cough medicine notes. Nothing else. It's strong- but I maintained some faith for the dry down.
...Nope. Same smell two hours later, just with a little less nostril burn. I'm glad I tested this out at home with no one around. Especially the girlfriend.

Now, in all fairness, I understand that much of this frag stands on nostalgia- being an oldie and all.
I was too young (and fortunate) to experience this in its Hey-Day. But it seems that to many, Joop! Is a scent that hands out an old classic scent that reminds them of when they first started wearing.
So, despite some depth in nostalgia, this frag rates low on my scale based on raw physical scent. Off I go to wash this stuff off before she gets home.
21st March, 2016
Synthetic jasmine and cinnamon.
A cross between Alien and Le Male that does justice to neither.
Avoid and get Alien instead (or gasp Le Male)
07th March, 2016
BLUF: Well, the 3-4 hour mark of the drydown is tolerable…however, that is not a good enough reason to wear it. The rest of this beast, I cannot deal with nor understand. *Bottle I bought dated 2011.

Quick embarrassing background story: before I knew anything about fragrances, my girlfriend wore Angel which I thought smelled painfully sexy and amazing (I still do, that’s not the embarrassing part). After researching it, I found out it was hotly debated/controversial/etc.…so I sought out hotly debated/controversial male fragrances to see what I thought of those. This led to my blind-buy of Kouros, A*Men, and Joop! at the same time (turns out I like none, 0-3 that round). Whoever filled that order probably reported me to the government and now I’m on some watchlist or something.

Anyway, I don’t have much to say that hasn’t already been said, but here’s my two cents.

The opening, for me, is horrible. I assumed something must have happened to my bottle (prolonged exposure to heat, light, weapons-grade plutonium, etc.) it’s synthetic to the max. I totally get the cherry cough syrup comments; I’d honestly prefer to wear Nyquil. I know they list cinnamon in the opening, but I don’t get any until about 4 hours after application. When I first tried it my girlfriend did one of those cough/gag combos, her eyes watered and she said “Oh god, it smells the way it looks.” I think that comment speaks volumes and sums it up.

One virtue (probably a strong word) is that about 4 hours into this lurid affair, the cinnamon, patchouli, amber combo is acceptable…in the way that a cheap scented candle can make a teenage boy’s room smell better than it was before you lit one, but not necessarily pleasant.

Just because I don’t like a fragrance doesn’t mean I think it is garbage. I respect taking chances and being different, thus I respect Joop! And where it lies in the history of male perfumery, but I will never wear this one again (…never say never they say…). It’s now 125ml of potential swap material, but I won’t hold my breath…unless the bottle breaks, then I’ll have to :P

I can't do it, just can't rock the Joop.
04th March, 2016
Like an old friend you haven't seen in a while! This was my first special cologne in college almost 20 years ago after moving up from tommy ck be and boss. After college and moving on to less flamboyant scents it sat in my cologne drawer for almost a decade before being rediscovered.
It goes without saying this isn't an everyday cologne but every once in a while on a special occasion it is a must. 1 spray is always enough. In fact I still have my first large bottle from 1999 and it is 2/3 full. It seems to be even better with age more mellow now on opening but still has drydown. Works best on very cold days and just seems to fit with purple or red shirts. Longevity is the best of anything I have ever used at 15 hrs on skin and days on clothes.
Still my wife's favorite even with much more expensive bottles in the lineup but then again it is kind of a nostalgia thing.
22nd December, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)
AHHH yes :) VALENTINES DAY. Please sit back, put on your favorite love songs, and read this review.

well...when I think of the perfect cologne for the perfect night of love, this comes to mind. The love of your life...a nice cold chilly with clear skies, stars, and a nice moon. The woman you've always dreamed of and a nice outfit on. candles in the background with the lights off. the slowest and the perfect collection of classical love songs on.

this is JOOP HOMME. exactly what i explained.the romantic feeling i get when i smell this fragrance and realize its power is amazing.i noticed a lot of thumbs downs. once again, i think its in part due to not seeing that maybe this particular fragrance was made for that SPECIAL moment and that special time and place. much like veraces "the dreamer" is complex and asks only to be worn duing specific and special scenes, this does the same thing. i happen to own both and i pick this over dreamer on valentines day or any romantic night during the winter.

longevity: wow...eternity!! lmao but no it last...more than 15 hours

projections: here's a story instead...when I graduated Marine Combat Training, I had the audacity to wear this to a formation one night, and, to be frank, i only spayed ONE spray and i could smell myself clear as day and people from over 10 feet away could smell me. THIS THING IS A MONSTER.when i compare it to 1 million, Le MALE, A Men, any of my dior fragrances, and many Chanel fragrances...this far succeeds them in projections with only YSL La nuit even putting up a fight (sometimes le male can compete). this thing is awesome.

10/10 i love a fragrance that projects and last as well as has an abundance of vanilla and can be floral at the same time.
06th December, 2015
My brother wore this in the 90s so it transports me back to that time. Like so many others I thought it was a revolutionary fragrance and at that time it was a welcome departure from the powerhouses of the 80s.

But it lacked the freshness and subtlety that would usurp the tobacco, carnation and leather brigade a few years later. It was polarising and overwhelming.

The current formula is thankfully not as strong, although it still lacks a big punch. It is wearable and pleasant, but no something I reach for often. Nonetheless, it is worth having in my collection because it is unique and comforting.
02nd December, 2015