Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 153 ratings

La Myrrhe information

La Myrrhe is a unisex fragrance by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido. The scent was launched in 1995 and the fragrance was created by Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of La Myrrhe

Showing 1 to 6 of 33 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Myrrh is an unusual odor: dry, medicinal, and more than a touch bitter, it will appeal to some and repel many. The myrrh note is firmly planted at the center of Lutens’s La Myrrhe, and your interest in this fragrance will depend entirely upon your tolerance for the astringent resin. The myrrh note is most forward and aggressive early on, before the fragrance’s sweet-spicy oriental structure assembles itself below. Like FloatingPoint before me, I pick up a distinct anise or licorice (i.e. sambuca,) layered over La Myrrhe’s heart. For me the anise conjures up Guerlain’s classic Après L’Ondée, but La Myrrhe is a more transparent scent, as it lacks the old Guerlain’s powdery vanilla base components. In fact, La Myrrhe is one of those rare Sheldrake-Lutens compositions, along with Tubéreuse Criminelle, Sa Majesté la Rose, and Sarrasins, that largely eschew the viscous and ponderous syrupy foundation that anchors scents like Arabie, Chergui, or Fumerie Turque. All said and done, this is an original, high quality scent that features an unusual central accord and extends the range of the Lutens line in an interesting direction.

19 June, 2014

odysseusm's avatar

Notes: mandarin, lotus, jasmine, myrrh, bitter almond, spices, pimento, sandalwood, honey, amber, musk

This has a round, perfumed character. It is slightly sweet and with kind of 'soapy' aspect which I sometimes note in myrrh. It is a very nice scent, and somewhat atypical for Lutens in that it is not heavy, rich, foody, or overly spicy. The floral notes are lovely, and there is a continued hint of citrus even at mid-point. The incense is somewhat resinous, and darker than frankincense. It combines well with the bitter almond. A bit of powder from the amber, but not problematic.
    A good scent, unisex in appeal.

20th February, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

opens up with blast of myrrhe, flowers and vitamin C,
    its sharp , but sweet too, not like dark heavy resin, La myrrhe here is like aldehidic and sligthly mixed with incense....but flowers give it sweet, feminine , brilliant tone that for me this stands between Chanel no 5 and no 22, just that it has everything i miss or lack in previous 2! this is PERFECT!!!

sweetnes gives it sensuality i like in no 22, but miss in no 5, but this one is not powdery and that much aldehydic , nor overwhelming!!.....simply perfect!

31st October, 2012

zubi's avatar

Kenya Kenya

This fragrance opens with a soapy note, very very soapy. Like, to the point where you feel *clean*. I catch myself impatiently waiting for some Sergian notes. I am currently in a very gourmand phase, and this is not very gourmand or dessert-like on my skin. Can we say "disappointment"?

Suddenly a thick syrup note pops through, as if to say "fooled ya!"
    - "Yesssss," says the pig in my nose, "FOOD!"

I can smell a woody scent in the background, as though the bitterness of PURE incense resin is present. I do not know what real myrrh smells like, and presume it isn't sticky sweet as some myrrh/incense scents like to make it, so this feels real. This woody note disappears as fast as it came, and like many other SL scents I have tried, this one seems to be a chameleon. The notes come back and disappear again, like some mysterious nimble bellydancers who simultaneously work as ninjas.

It has a note of garbage bag on my wrist, which I'm not loving, but when I smell the inside of my elbow (where scents bloom, in my opinion), I smell a cologne-like masculine coolness that I like. I realise now that this "soapy" quality I initially sensed is brought on by a white flower I do not recognise. It could be jasmine (according to note list), as this is a note I am not familiar with (I know - how is it possible?).

There is a greenness to this that is slightly bitter, but I think this is a scent that, on me, is dominated by a floral. It seems pretty linear for the first half hour, but then some anise-like scent comes through. According to this review, this scent is very true to myrrh, but since I know nothing about it I cannot say what I think of this matter.

After a bit, the sandalwood and spices come through, and I feel myself nodding and smiling with recognition. Hello Uncle Serge! The usual gourmand aspect is different, but still exists - I can sense a slight burned overly flavoured vanilla pudding. Yum!

I will have to say that I like this one quite a bit, and could see my see myself wearing it. It would be my first white-floral dominated scent (even though that aspect is less strong during the drydown). I read here that it is recommended to dab this one, and not spray. I do agree that this could be too heady and just "too much" if over-applied, and due to its "coolness" could definitely see - and love - this on a guy.

To conclude, this is a scent that has a coolness to it that reminds me of white flowers with dew drops on them on a crisp summer morning after a storm. I like the slightly bitter medicinal anise-like note in the background, but perhaps that is because I like very bitter dark chocolate too. Besides, bitterness is good for you. ;)

Note: The more time passed, the more I caught myself inhaling deeply when my arm was close to my nose. Warning: This scent - like a lot of Serge Lutens fragrances - grows on you! The more hours that pass, the creamier this one gets. I cannot comment on sillage as I really did use a few drops. Obviously, due to dabbing the sillage would be lower than if spraying.

11th August, 2012

cheryl's avatar

This is elegant and rich, though quite linear on my skin. I smell root beer, fruitcake and crayons. Somehow this festive list of components doesn't quite equate to joyous. The perfume remains quite serious in its demeanor. I guess this is my quibble with this interesting scent. I want it to "go" somewhere...emotionally, transformatively, down memory's path, but it doesn't. This seems to be a November perfume. Late autumnal.

11th July, 2012

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Cacio - I am forever in your debt for introducing La Myrrhe to me. I think you have begun a life long love ,unwittingly .
    Am I on a roll or what ? Two great perfumes in 24 hours- it can't be so !
    I rarely fall completely in love from first sniff and if I do , by the time the dry down comes round, I've fallen out of love. Such is the life of the fickle perfumista.
    But every now and then , I come across greatness.
    La Myrrhe !! La Myrrhe !! La Myrrhe !! I am in love !

Bright ,smooth ,head clearing clean aldehydes mixed with orange and bitter almond to start. When I took my first whiff- the image I got was shiny smooth metal - running my hands on hot smooth metal .
    Then the myrrh makes its presence and the notes of honey ,jasmine ,berries ,a few spices and amber roll in . The scent has heft - a luscious weight and depth . Sweet ,mellow ,shiny liquid . It literally sparkles and glows from the start.
    I am at a loss for words really.
    Chanel No .5 EDP is the scent it resembles. Having sprayed on No. 5 EDP on the other hand for comparison , I can tell you, the No .5 pales in quality ,depth, nuance and the two fragrances cease to be similar in my mind. La Myrrhe manages to make No. 5 EDP smell cheap !
    The dry down is just slightly fruity with the soft myrrh and sandalwood.
    To me, La Myrrhe is easy to wear especially if you love aldehydes . Wonderful.

29 June, 2012