Lacoste (original) (1984)

Year of Launch1984

HouseLacoste
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Lacoste (original)

Lacoste (original) is a masculine fragrance by Lacoste. The scent was launched in 1984

Lacoste (original) fragrance notes

Reviews of Lacoste (original)

Not a terrible fragrance really.Now I'll be upfront and give it a thumbs down though...

*Lacoste Original lasts about 2 hours on my skin.You can actually sense a countdown timer on this becomes noticeably weaker and then drops.Terrible output for an EDT straddling more like an aftershave.

*This fragrance is pleasant on a hot day but it uses very few notes to capture that create the competition.You're getting burned if you think this is worth the $50 when stuff like Pino Silvestre Sport and Adidas Sport/Sport Field captured a really similar identity to Lacoste Original that lasts longer and cost a heck of a lot less.

It's been a few years since I've smelled Lacoste Original.What I remember in this was anise,a semi herbal and grassy smell,and clean citrus.I do recall initially getting lavender and a white floral but disappears like a fart into the wind in seconds.If Lacoste played their cards right they could have made this an aftershave to be found in grocery and drug stores that people might like it's that refreshing...but cheap and simple.I literally threw my 3.4oz bottle in the trash which stung a little at $50 but I was that let down about it.If this fragrance held on with decent projection lasting a good 10-12 hours I wouldn't buy it again...but I'd rate it at a neutral.
29th May, 2018
Reformulated Version Review

This is an okay fragrance.
It starts out like a little musky, fizzy, Sprite-kinda mixture, the Sprite aspect being minimal though. It definitely wouldn't be mistaken for a modern fragrance, but it's not quite typical of what you normally associate with the era it came out in. I'd say it walks a fine line between quirky and mundane.

I can't speak for the sillage but the longevity is pretty poor. I get like two hours tops, and it's a barely-there-skin scent. The dry down, which is a skin scent by that point, is nice. It gets less musky, and stale, and a little softer. Some moss mixed with a weak Sprite. The dry down is similar to that of Gillette Cool Wave aftershave but I think Gillette Cool Wave is overall superior to this.

It's not bad, but it's missing something. There are far more interesting fragrances from this era (mid-1980s) to choose from.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 18th November, 2017)
Very sharp "green" citrus scent from Lacoste. This may not be the first fragrance I think to grab for typical occasions, but it's a great casual wear cologne when you need a tangy "pick me up."
25th December, 2016
This member of the Lacoste family suffers from the same affliction plaguing the rest of the line - pathetic longevity. In this case, however, it feels intentional; a sporty scent made to be fleeting and refreshing without sacrificing quality, and one which can be liberally reapplied without issue. The opening smells mostly of bergamot and lemon or grapefruit, with a disarmingly soft sage note rising up to bridge the citrus to the remarkably pleasant sandalwood base. The base itself smells like a decent sandalwood, but may actually be a collective of wood and tonka which simulates sandal very well. This is an ideal pick for a 'Summer scent,' and I am very glad Lacoste didn't feel the need to put Sport in the title.
24th August, 2016
It only took me 30 years as I recently just discovered this cheerful sporting fragrance. Born in 1984, this could easily be called "Quorum Fraicheur" as the geranium heart and mossy dry down resemblance is very near although not as complex while projecting much lighter. I plan on enjoying Lacoste more often once spring rolls around as everything old is new again!
22nd February, 2015
ad_scott Show all reviews
Fresh and invigorating; best worn at summertime! Gin and tonic on the rocks, lemons and limes, grass in a meadow...I always feel like a game of tennis when I wear this! Charming and classic '80s fragrance; always brings back the good times...
23rd December, 2014

Add your review of Lacoste (original)

Shop for Lacoste (original) products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Lacoste (original)

There are no member images of Lacoste (original) yet. Why not be the first?