Lacoste Eau de Sport (1968)
by Lacoste

Lacoste Eau de Sport information

Year of Launch1968
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseLacoste
PerfumerJean Kerleo
Parent Company at launchJean Patou

About Lacoste Eau de Sport

Lacoste Eau de Sport is a masculine fragrance by Lacoste. The scent was launched in 1968 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Kerleo

Lacoste Eau de Sport fragrance notes

Reviews of Lacoste Eau de Sport

Basil, Bergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Lemon.

Fern, Geranium, Heliotrope, Clary Sage, Carnation, Patchouli, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Cinnamon.

Ambergris, Moss, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

This 1968 release of Lacoste by Patou shows the lighter side of Jean Kerleo. This is in line with the overall image it tries to project. Golf, fairways and a sporty-casual aura depicts Lacoste rather well.

I've had this on again for about 30 minutes. I'm rather impressed with the totality of it. There are many listed notes , but repeated sniffing assures me this was made in a different era. It has a certain gravitas, even though it's a "sport" fragrance. The citrus, spice, herbal and earthy qualities are all present and accounted for. It smells completely appropriate to wear in the spring-summer months regardless of being nvolved in an activity.

The carnation adds that classic masculine touch and seems to come to the fore a bit more as the wearing ensues. Is it dated? Perhaps a bit, but with a casual scent, that's not a drawback in my book. I put Lacoste into the same category as Lanvin L'Homme Sport for structure and overall performance/effect. Lacoste is HTF whereas the Lanvin ( and scents like it ) are cheap and readily available.

The dry down of Lacoste is nice and predictable considering the ingredients. A mild mossy-musk rears its head after an hour or so, with hardly a nod from Oriental notes.

Is Lacoste worth tracking down and paying the going rate? I suppose that depends if you're driven to "collect" as opposed to building a wardrobe with worthy representatives of genres you want so you have the bases covered. As for me, I like Lacoste, but I can live with a counterpart. I no longer collect HTF fragrances, so take that for what it's worth. Sillage is actually good with surprising longevity for a "Sport" fragrance. I can smell this 6 hours later with a few light sprays.
11th October, 2018
Stardate 20180608:

Oh how I pined for this. For 2 years. And when I finally got to try it, it was underwhelming. Perhaps my longing and anticipation set the bar too high for Kerleo.

A traditional cuminy fougere. Eau Hermes came to mind when I applied this. More wearable and less skanky than Hermes. I am not a cumin fan (do like it in food just not in my fragrances). This one is a pass at the prices it goes for.

08th June, 2018
A memorable one for me. My parents sent me off on my first trip alone abroad. I don't remember what store I found it in but it was either in Tokyo or Hong Kong, 1979 and this was one of my "souvenir" buys, along with clothes etc. I remember it as pleasant, unpretentious, not overpowering in the heat. Never found it again after that bottle ran out. If they somehow resurrected this under another name, would like to know.
29th June, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
This should properly be listed under Jean Patou, who had the Lacoste license originally. The Patou brand was much more important and famous than Lacoste, but to Patou the shirts made so famous by Rene Lacoste represented all that was best about the sporting life and inspired the creating of this fresh, classic cologne. I remember it as being fresh and citric in the opening, with dry herbs (my favorite clary sage) and maybe even some cumin in the base notes. I know that it sounds like a cliche, but this is that French fresh/sweaty thing done to perfection. If only one could really smell like this after a few sets of tennis! The bottle, with its chest-like shape with the Lacoste crocodile over the heart is pure genius. This sticks in my mind as being a brother scent to Eau Sauvage. I do not know when this was discontinued but remember so well seeing this at better department stores--I got my bottle at Robinson's which has sadly gone the same way as Lacoste Eau de Sport.
08th July, 2015
Bigsly Show all reviews
A very nice blend, with just enough note separation. What you get here that you don't get with recent designer fragrances is a natural-smelling, rich, complex, and earthy, yet soft and rounded scent. It has a fresh aspect, with a touch of grassiness, as well as a distinct floral quality. The base is subtle yet excellent, with no one note overwhelming the others. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that it has the kind of muskiness that those used to only recent fragrances might not like.

I have the newer bottle, and the notes I found for it (at fragrantica.com) seem right:

"Top notes are lavender, mandarin orange, mint, basil, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are coriander, carnation, fir, clary sage, jasmine, rose and geranium; base notes are leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar."

Also, it's strong and long-lasting so you can use just one spray.
10th May, 2011
I have been searching for a bottle of this FOREVER! I would die for a decant if anyone has it.. i will pay biggggg for it. dying to smell it.
01st March, 2011

LACOSTE ESSENTIAL SPORT EAU DE TOILETTE POUR HOMME FOR MEN 4.2 FL OZ 125 ML

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 13:37:22 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $56.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

LACOSTE ESSENTIAL SPORT EAU DE TOILETTE POUR HOMME FOR MEN 2.5 FL OZ 125 Ml.

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 13:42:38 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $52.95

Lacoste Lacoste Essential Sport By Lacoste Eau De Toilette Spray 4.2 Oz

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 13:52:21 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $56.87
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

LACOSTE ESSENTIAL SPORT POUR HOMME EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 125 ML/4.2 FL.OZ. (T)

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 14:26:30 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $49.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Lacoste Essential Sport by Lacoste Eau De Toilette Spray 2.5 oz / 75 ml (Men)

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 22:27:30 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $94.22
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Lacoste Essential Sport by Lacoste Eau De Toilette Spray 4.2 oz / 125 ml (Men)

End Date: Sunday Oct-21-2018 22:27:34 PDT