Lagerfeld Classic (1978)

PerfumerRon Winnegrad
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchEli Lilly & Co > Elizabeth Arden

About Lagerfeld Classic

Lagerfeld Classic is a masculine fragrance by Lagerfeld. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ron Winnegrad

Reviews of Lagerfeld Classic

To me this basically smells like a honeyed Obsession for Men, specifically, from my experience. Even before I sprayed it I thought of Obsession for Men because of the color of the juice! Mine is an Interparfums version (post-Coty).

If you like Obsession for Men, you'll maybe like this one. If you already own one of these, you may find the other redundant, I don't know. Good luck! :)
08th June, 2016
Picked up some Vintage Cologne of this, after reading Maillard's review. He put me on to Maxim's last year and I find his reviews on the mark 95% of the time. I also picked up some Fumerie Turque. He had also mentioned a passing reference to that.
I have little to add to all of his excellent review except to say they are different enough to own both.
Vintage Lagerfeld fits squarely into it's era between the musky Etienne Aigner of the 70's and the powdery Maxim's et Tiffany for Men of the 80's. Well worth the search and recommended. I have yet to taste the KL Homme and the Lagerfeld Classic.
20th May, 2016
Vintage:
Powdery ambery old style frag. Has some Guerlainess in it. Nothing spectacular but nice if you can get for under $40(for 100ml)
09th May, 2016
I wore the original as a teen, and later in law school. The Interparfums formulation and quality is true to it. And I find it simply, better. (Heresy, I know.) The powdery brightness has been pitched down slightly making the rich amber more legible: it’s waxy tobacco and vanilla from start to finish with aloe vera and clary sage up top, cedar, orange, lavender, rose and musk in the heart, and ends with a lush tonka bean and patchouli. It’s sensuous warmth cut by chic freshness--a great, balanced perfumery accord. (That it references Shalimar is even more obvious.)
06th January, 2016 (last edited: 20th January, 2016)
Oviatt Show all reviews
Thumbs up for the original formulation--I have not tried the reformulated version, but the bright orange color alone sort of puts me off it. That said, back in the day this was one of the greats, proudly holding up its head and standing as equals alongside Polo, Grey Flannel, Z-14 and the other great masculines of the 1970s. Unlike those others, which were spicy, or herbal, or green, Lagerfeld cornered the market on rich, sweet, powdery masculinity, giving us the ultimate suit and tie scent or better yet, cashmere sweater scent. Deep into the drydown there is a musky, French funk going on.... I can see why others talk about its powers of seduction and also see how this could wear you and not vice versa. Either way, I think that this is (was) an excellent rich, dark, powdery masculine well suited to those of us old enough to remember its launch but also an great choice for a younger man wanting to rock something substantial, sexy and very French. The original bottle, with its frosted sides and art deco lettering was really great, too.
03rd June, 2015
1978 was a very good year. Same year Polo launched. But Karl, Karl, Karl, Karl, Karl!!! What happened? Lagerfeld was my signature scent, for very good but not always honorable reasons. Even though I was married, original Lagerfeld created an abundance problem for me, and I ain't talking money, either. What did you do, Karl? And, why? You're old, extremely rich, and the world is still your oyster. Why did you let them mess this stuff up? It has YOUR NAME on it, for crying out loud! Though at a very dear price, the original still pops up from time to time, but the mainstream over the counter is...well, not the same. It's like tomatoes, Karl. Once upon a time, you could get good tomatoes in the store. Now, those days are over and all we get is chemical-pumped, immature, hard, pale, tasteless imitations of a distant memory. So it is with Lagerfeld for me, Karl. You broke my heart.
27th April, 2015

Add your review of Lagerfeld Classic

Shop for Lagerfeld Classic products online

Shop for Lagerfeld Classic at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Lagerfeld Classic

Member images of Lagerfeld Classic

There are no member images of Lagerfeld Classic yet. Why not be the first?