Lagerfeld Classic (1978)

PerfumerRon Winnegrad
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchEli Lilly & Co > Elizabeth Arden

About Lagerfeld Classic

Lagerfeld Classic is a masculine fragrance by Lagerfeld. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ron Winnegrad

Reviews of Lagerfeld Classic

Oviatt Show all reviews
Thumbs up for the original formulation--I have not tried the reformulated version, but the bright orange color alone sort of puts me off it. That said, back in the day this was one of the greats, proudly holding up its head and standing as equals alongside Polo, Grey Flannel, Z-14 and the other great masculines of the 1970s. Unlike those others, which were spicy, or herbal, or green, Lagerfeld cornered the market on rich, sweet, powdery masculinity, giving us the ultimate suit and tie scent or better yet, cashmere sweater scent. Deep into the drydown there is a musky, French funk going on.... I can see why others talk about its powers of seduction and also see how this could wear you and not vice versa. Either way, I think that this is (was) an excellent rich, dark, powdery masculine well suited to those of us old enough to remember its launch but also an great choice for a younger man wanting to rock something substantial, sexy and very French. The original bottle, with its frosted sides and art deco lettering was really great, too.
03rd June, 2015
1978 was a very good year. Same year Polo launched. But Karl, Karl, Karl, Karl, Karl!!! What happened? Lagerfeld was my signature scent, for very good but not always honorable reasons. Even though I was married, original Lagerfeld created an abundance problem for me, and I ain't talking money, either. What did you do, Karl? And, why? You're old, extremely rich, and the world is still your oyster. Why did you let them mess this stuff up? It has YOUR NAME on it, for crying out loud! Though at a very dear price, the original still pops up from time to time, but the mainstream over the counter is...well, not the same. It's like tomatoes, Karl. Once upon a time, you could get good tomatoes in the store. Now, those days are over and all we get is chemical-pumped, immature, hard, pale, tasteless imitations of a distant memory. So it is with Lagerfeld for me, Karl. You broke my heart.
27th April, 2015
MRBDX Show all reviews
I am a 43 year old man who grew up with this scent. Started wearing it in Jr. High School way back in 1984.
I actually still own and wear a bottle of this fragrance which I purchased new back in 1989!!!!!

22nd January, 2015 (last edited: 02nd February, 2015)
Yet another underrated (in my perception) scent from the '70s. The classic Lagerfeld opens as a sort of slightly aldehydated chypre with a classic structure (carnation, orris, oak moss, rose) supported by a whole and quite modern side of velvety, soft, mysterious and smoky side exuding (masculine) austerity and powdery exotism with tobacco, amber, powder, a musky base note and a sweetish sort of vanilla-candied-almond accord. A peculiar scent indeed, starting like a musky chypre then vanishing into a resinous-tobacco cloud, landing on a velvety Oriental carpet of ambers and powder, not far from scents like Fumerie Turque, although with a higher rate of classic notes like oak moss, and with denser and bolder resins and powder. I do not know the recent versions, but the vintage one (still easy to find especially in Germany) is surely remarkable.

15th August, 2014
I have to agree with Jason Bogie. While I never tested the Coty version this one by Unilever is not bad at all. A powdery, comforting masculine scent. Definitely an older gentleman scent as well. It brings me memories of my grandfather smiling at me, sunny spring days of hanging out with family and kids.

Not sure when to use this one but definitely going to throw it in my rotation for those days just to have warm fuzzy feelings.
27th March, 2014
Well frag fans. I tried the new Unilever version of this today and whilst its not as good as the original, it beats the Coty version hands down
14th March, 2014

Add your review of Lagerfeld Classic

Shop for Lagerfeld Classic products online

Shop for Lagerfeld Classic at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Lagerfeld Classic

Member images of Lagerfeld Classic

There are no member images of Lagerfeld Classic yet. Why not be the first?