Lauder for Men (1985)

Year of Launch1985

HouseEstée Lauder
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Lauder for Men

Lauder for Men is a masculine fragrance by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1985

Lauder for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Lauder for Men

I received a supposedly-vintage bottle of Lauder for Men after shave, with a completely gold top. The glass bottle is heavy, 3.3 oz, made in the USA, and when I opened it part of the plunger broke off into the neck of the bottle (making me believe this hasn't been opened in a long time and therefore is legit stuff).

Scent-wise, it does resemble the notes and potency that reviewers have commented on that vintage batches have. Obviously, after shave will not be in the same realm as an EDC from 1985, but even this stuff lasts and has some range! I have not tried the newer version, so I can't compare on that.

There is definite justification to label this a toned down quasi-80's powerhouse, and also the "older/refined gentleman" vibe that goes with it. It is a wonderful scent: subtle initial citrus, woods, some oakmoss, rich musk, and a lasting barbershop powder. After first application, I also hearkened to the days of my grandfather, splashing this on before work in the 1940's and smelling like a dignified, tip of the cap kind of man. It has a dated quality, literally smelling a bit aged but confident. There is nothing modern, sleek, aquatic or slight about this scent. It isn't a smash your nostrils scent like Polo green or Halston Z-14 either (both of which I like). This is a calmer powerhouse, something that folks would wear who didn't need as much attention as those who wore more popular 80's powerhouses.

I like that this is much more wearable by folks with good taste, complete assurance of themselves, and a guy's guy. You really can't pull this off if you're young and looking to impress the crowd; I can see lots of people pulling away as it doesn't smell like Issey Miyaki. This is the part that you may love: it's very unique, clean, not pretentious, completely wearable in cold or warm environs, and makes a statement for a man who enjoys smelling classically good and goes home to the family at the end of the day. I would highly recommend getting your hands on this, whether it's the vintage or newer release, and whether it's an after shave strength or EDC.
25th January, 2018
I have to echo richmilton's review. Maybe it just doesn't work as well on my skin as it does on others.
13th April, 2017 (last edited: 14th April, 2017)
Zowiee Show all reviews
Revised to thumbs up. Amazing how we change or or body chemistry changes. Now, after a couple of years of not wearing it, I really like it a lot. Don’t live it, but it’s a nice toned-down fragrance. Seems to last much longer than I remembered.

Too bad, so sad it's such a weak fragrance. Skin scent after about an hour. Smells great, but is so underwhelming compared to its other fragrance siblings.
06th April, 2017 (last edited: 19th February, 2018)
This review is for the new formulation (Jan 2016). Vintage is amazing... very green, love the vetiver and masculine fougere scent, citrus, fresh and STRONG. The latest version starts out very nice but in 15 to 20 minutes it literally turns into a skin scent. In 1 hour I have to bury my nose into my wrist to get a whiff. Nobody knows I'm wearing even 30 minutes after I apply. This is not worth even $10! Never mind the $60 or more this retails for.

Scent: 7/10 (First 10 minutes)
Longevity: 1/10
Projection: 2/10
Overall: 3/10
17th October, 2016
Awesome scent from the house of Estee Lauder. This wasn't my first scent but I did get this when it came out for Christmas in 1985... Enjoyed it then as a 15 year old and enjoy it now. A top notch scent that to me doesn't smell as dated as some from that era. I would say if you want a cheaper alternative then Trump for Men (that is oddly enough in the same bottle) is a much cheaper version (but the smell is the same to my nose). If you find an actual Lauder in your price range get it you will not regret it in the least. It is a great scent for the spring, summer and fall IMO. I do get a nice citrus burst with some dry woods and a nice sandalwood/vanilla mix. Enjoy!
14th July, 2016
Stardate 20160707: Vintage Verison.

I did not like this the first time I tried. Or the second. Perhaps it is not a cold weather scent.
I tried it again during this hot humid summer and it was love at first (or perhaps third) smell.
This fragrance has me stumped. I hate galbanum and carnation but I love Lauder.
Perhaps it is the rose.
There is a prominent funky note (not the musk) in there that gives it character and depth. Perhaps a combination of some notes.

It is something Indian Jones or Rick Blaine would wear during their adventures in the exotic (and hot) east.

You should try it once. It won't disappoint. Just don't do it in winter/fall.

07th July, 2016

• USD $27.00

Estee Lauder INTUITION FOR MEN 1.7oz Cologne Spray

• USD $25.00
  • Shipping from: United States

Lauder For Men by Estee lauder Cologne Spray 3.4 oz, Rare.

• USD $59.95