Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man (1985)
by Caron

Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man information

Year of Launch1985

HouseCaron
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyAles Group
Parent Company at launchA.H. Robins

About Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

Created in 1985 and inspired by the title of the film directed by Carol Reed, Le 3ème Homme by Caron is a tribute to the elegant man played by Orson Welles.

Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man fragrance notes

柚子の香りで
思い出す
12th June, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Excellent warm weather scent. I happened to love lavender, so this one excels. Just a well-done fougrere, not too hard, not too soft- just right. Bravo!
22nd April, 2017
Smooth, classic oriental fragrance from Caron!

What can I say that hasn't already been said: The Third Man is a wonderful old-school scent that is full of character; just look at the fragrance note triangle!

Sweet and floral elements meld into a potion that is classy from the very start. Star anise is prominent, as is the amber, vanilla, Tonka and musk in the base that is clearly the foundation for The Third Man.

Not for everyone, the Third Man is along the lines of other old-school classics like Laura Biagiotti's Roma Uomo, Chanel pour Monsieur, or Hugo Boss Baldessarini Concentree: Thick, moderately loud, and definitely sexy. Glad to have this in my collection.
28th February, 2017
Caron's Third Man is an almost unbelievably well-composed and beautiful fougere. The opening is rather intense, with buckets of gorgeous lavender and florals, and a very slight animalic background note. The accord settles into a bright yet sleek, relatively sweet and powdery heart as the tonka and moss of an ulta-smooth fougere base come into focus. The lavender - and this is a lavender note for the ages - sticks around and lends the evolution just the right amount of "bite".

While Third Man is quite sweet throughout its evolution, there's a bright coolness - from what, I don't know - that keeps it from feeling heavy or musty in any way. Excellent quality and a pleasure to wear year round. Outstanding longevity and sillage. Highly recommended.
22nd February, 2017 (last edited: 08th April, 2017)
In my world of all things bright and beautiful, I have been wearing Le 3me Homme since it came out in those gorgeous tall splash bottles back in 1985. It has been my signature scent for thirty-one years, and despite being a scent whore, I always come back to this particular fragrance. Understated elegance perfectly suited for any occasion and always appropriate. Perhaps a touch too perfect, but that's part of its charm. I have yet to find another men's fragrance like this one that balances floral, fougere and aromatic all together. It's really a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. I'm saving a few carefully unopened vintage bottles (loads of rich oakmoss) with explicit instructions in my will that I am to be bathed head-toe in Le 3me Homme de Caron when I "go". They'll smell me for an eternity, but you can't deny me a last request now can you?
28th December, 2016 (last edited: 01st January, 2017)
First of all, respect to Caron, who sent me, on request, free samples of this alongside Pour un Homme (as well as, unlooked for, a sample of Pour un Homme Sport. Reviews of all three to come).

In terms of the scent: 3rd Man is potentially a direct rival to Chanel's Pour Monsieur in my collection. It is surely no accident that in Luca Turin's one-star review of Pour Monsieur parfum, he suggested "Get Caron's Troisieme Homme instead". 3rd Man, Pour un Homme de Caron and the Chanel are obvious candidates for comparison to each other. Given that I have a bottle of the Chanel parfum already and think quite highly of it, the comparison becomes very interesting.

I find that 3rd Man starts out in that dandyish fashion described by Tania Sanchez (also in The Guide). The familiar stages are there, starting with lavender, working through an attention-piquing but subtle note of anise, and thence to some strong florals. At the start I am left wondering if this is just too "Latin lover", too contiguous with the Anglo-American idea of the feminine, or just plain too assertive. But no: readers of the prior reviews or those familiar with the scent itself will know what comes next: a nicely melded moss accord that stiffens the whole thing up and brings it finally and decidly into masculine territory. This works for me, big time: at points, I was wondering what the terrific smell was, and tending to the jealous, before realising that this transition was taking place on my own skin.

The development is brilliant, the scent terrific, the longevity Biblical, and the sillage all you could want. So does it beat Pour Monsieur? That's a difficult question. Pour Monsieur parfum is my current go-to for work when I know I will be in senior company. 3rd Man has a slightly different vibe about it, despite being a very similar scent. Thankfully I don't need to decide now. Once I've worked through the Chanel, some difficult decisions might have to be made (or I could just buy them both!).

Great stuff. I look forward to sampling the other two Carons.
03rd November, 2016

Add your review of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

Shop for Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man products online

Shop for Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

Member images of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man

There are no member images of Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man yet. Why not be the first?