Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man (1985)
    by Caron

Average Rating: 4

Based on 518 ratings

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man Fragrance Notes

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man information

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man is a men's fragrance by Caron. The scent was launched in 1985 and the bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Shop for Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man products online

$113.75*
    125ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 68.00)

Reviews of Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man

Showing 1 to 6 of 96 reviews.

DanHD's avatar

I gave 3rd Man a good college try, but it just doesn't work for me. I have a major problem with the carnation/clove note that never really subsides until about the 10 hour mark. Hey, but it's great after that! No, I can't do it. It's a shame, because I do like the floral aspects. The next-day drydown is lovely too. I own both Yatagan and Pour Un Homme and would recommend those over #3.

22 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

May 2007
    I have a huge problem with Caron’s men’s fragrances. My problem? I tried Yatagan first. How any fragrance house could adequately follow Yatagan’s magnificent savagery is hard to imagine. The outrageous animalism of Lutens and Sheldrake’s Muscs Kublai Khan? The ethereal beauty of Dominique Ropion’s Carnal Flower? The briny austerity of Creed’s Erolfa? The barbaric opulence of Montale’s Black Aoud? Caron’s answer was The Third Man.

The Third Man opens with a potent, but fairly standard lavender and bergamot accord, underscored by just a hint of woods and smoky leather. The middle notes include a very sharp cedar, some lush vanilla or tonka, and a hefty dose of carnation or clove on top of the persistent lavender. I sense some rose at the heart, too, accented by a deep fennel seed or anise note. The drydown is mostly moss and woods, with lingering anise and a distinct vanilla/musk counterpoint. The result is an outstanding fragrance, but very heavy and opaque, in the manner of Creed’s Santal Imperial and Bois du Portugal.

Temperamentally, The Third Man is the exact opposite of the wild Yatagan: rich, and cultured, but also utterly conventional. Me? I’ll take Yatagan.

September 2009:
    Wearing The Third Man today, I am reminded how very good it is. I have been unduly hard on The Third Man for not being Yatagan, or even L'Anarchiste, but to tell the truth, this scent is just as successful in filling its admittedly more conventional brief as either of those other two. What ultimately makes The Third Man special for me is the drydown, with its perfectly judged balance of vanilla, moss, and warmly animalic musk. In fact there's almost something of a classic Guerlain structure in those base notes. Promoted from a neutral rating for its beauty and utility.

21st June, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

Take your traditional Fougere fragrance with the lavender and bergamot in the opening coupled with a lot of oakmoss. Giving the scent a green fern spicy feel.

Then imagine a floral jasmine and carnation been added to the blend. The herbal lavender accord then becomes soft and sweeter and starts to take over. Add a bit of cloves and vetiver into the mix and you get a sweet floral scent sitting ontop of your classical Fougere with a twist.

I have to say I don't know what to think with this one. On one hand it seems like a laboratory experiment to see what a ton of sweet florals would do to a classic Fougere. On the other hand it is compelling in a weird way.

To sum up a classic Fougere with a twist which has been changed with a ton of florals. Giving you a soft sweet herbal like fragrance.

22 May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Clean, crisp, comfortable and elegant like a freshly-ironed shirt! Safe and sophisticated, the kind of scent that can make even the shabbiest man on Earth look nice and charming.

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2014)

JackTwist's avatar

This seems to me to be a typical 1980s powerhouse scent, although on me not so much power. It is a subtle blend of anise, lavender, patchouli, amber and oak moss - a very typical fougere of the period, not as loud as some, but perfectly respectable.

The review is neutral as it does not stand out in any way for me from the other fougeres of the period. Caron seemed to want to just get its hand into the popularity of the period with its own version, as did most scent houses of the time.

Turin calls this a jasmine fougere, though I cannot detect the jasmine; the spice effect overwhelms, although there seems to be no spice ingredients, just the overall effect of spices. Turin's five stars hardly seem warranted - three at most.

17 January, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Wonderfully striking, balanced and unique!

What a gem! The House of Caron does it again... Always unique, and quite unlike anything else out there on the market. The Third Man is a perfectly balanced masculine floral. Yes, a (masculine) floral... (Dior Homme take note!).

This is how it's meant to be done! Everyone sees something different in this, a fizzy, mossy, aromatic, enveloping cloud which is unlike anything you've smelled before! Even with a hint of champagne in the opening! I mostly get beautiful indolic Jasmine, dry Lavender and tons of Oakmoss. You gotta love 80's masculines!

Overall, a perfectly balanced, unique and intriguing fragrance. This is how a male floral should be done. Top class. Elegant. Unique. Well done Caron!

21st November, 2013