Le Mâle (1995)

PerfumerFrancis Kurkdjian
SupplierQuest International
Parent Company at launchShiseido > Beaute Prestige International

About Le Mâle

The first male fragrance by Jean Paul Gaultier. The bottle is in the shape of a male torso and packaged in what looks like a baked bean tin. The bath products are shaped liked paint tubes.
The prestige version of the fragrance features a 'bulb puffer spray'.

Le Mâle fragrance notes

Reviews of Le Mâle

Classic. But I think a bit played out so no longer in my rotation.
20th March, 2017
So I was out of my bottle which I got from my friends 11 years ago. So I purchased a 200 ML bottle for 60 euros. Bargain I thought for such an awesome smell, butt (yes, double T f....., thats how I felt)... WTF?!? Why the hell would you REFORMULATE YOUR BEST SELLING PERFUME JPG?!?! WHY?!?

Scent
Scent itself is a masterpiece, but this one smells less powdery than my previous bottle and more aqua...

Projection
Poor, ok projection for the first 90 minutes then it's bye bye kansas. My previous was a beast projection.

Longevity
Poor, getting max 5 hours. Used to get 15 hours of longevity. Stays over 24 hours on clothes though.

Versatile
Less suited for winter.

------
6.3 overall score

Neutral score cause of the scent and versatile score. I am so disappointed, not gonna buy this anymore. Well, atleast it was cheap, 100 ml for 30 euros. Poor projection and longevity and the whole world owns it now. There are better perfumes than this.

07th March, 2017
A legendary, polarizing and ever popular oriental scent that will always be my favorite. I've seen several attempts by different fragrance houses to recreate Le Mâle (sometimes convincingly, other times even improving on it); but THIS is the defining sensual experience that, after all these years, still delights (and annoys) many.

For me, the lavender, mint, vanilla, cumin, and sandalwood are well formulated. There is that Clubman Pinaud vibe here (that pleasant powder in the green bottle used in barbershops after a haircut). The bottle is always a shocker to behold, and the tin can is unique, too!

The flankers that have come (and gone) all take the Le Mâle mystique and enhance specific notes. In the case of the "La Cologne Tonique" set, the fragrance serves the role of a bracing, tastefully muted body spray. But for me, it's hard to dislike the retakes on this one (save for Ultra Male, a radical remake that is its own scent). A dependable, always pleasant experience...Le Mâle will remain in my top favorites of all time.
10th December, 2016
This is beyond a classis. Of all scents that I have owned, and still own, this is the only one that I have purchased and gone through numerous bottle, plus also the after shave balm.

From bottles that are over $1,000 to mid range to low end... This one has always stood out. The scent brings up good memories, good times in my life, and I have never not enjoyed this scent.

I do not wear it out often as it is not a unique scent, however I do use it before bed. Such a happy and calming scent for me.
16th September, 2016
The original JPG Le Male from the 90s was a masterpiece & had tremendous performance! Le Male has since been reformulated & most retailers are selling the reformulation. The reformulated version of Le Male does not smell or perform nearly as good as the original. It is not powdery, nor is it a powerhouse! I find it woodier in the dry-down. The vintage is a much darker juice/better formulation. A reformulated bottle will last 5 hours at most on my skin & project for the first hour. It is a shame that the house destroyed a beautiful fragrance. Not worth it - only buy if you can find the vintage juice!
29th February, 2016 (last edited: 01st March, 2016)
BoxPred Show all reviews
Not much more, if anything can be said about this one. This was the first designer fragrance that I was really exposed to and absolutely loved the smell of. It will get hate due to its popularity as much as people who genuinely dislike it's scent. I had a friend who picked out ginger in this one which was probably the cinnamon/orange/cumin I guess. Can't say I get ginger... or lavender for that matter which seems to be a very dominant note quoted by the majority. All I know is I get a very pleasant smell that for me is the same now as it was in the late 90s. Above average sillage and longevity and a real classic for any wardrobe.
21st February, 2016