Lilac Vegetal (1880)

Based on 40 ratings

Lilac Vegetal information

Lilac Vegetal is a men's fragrance by Pinaud. The scent was launched in 1880

Reviews of Lilac Vegetal

Showing 1 to 6 of 22 reviews.

teejay17's avatar

I bought this after having read a lot about it on wet shaving forums. It's deemed a classic barbershop scent, and relished by many. I am not one of those who relish it. It is a overpowering scent redolent of sweet licorice and cat urine, and in a bad way. That's the description my wife gave the microsecond she smelled it on me, and I could not disagree.
    Upon application, I immediately got a migraine headache that did not go away until I washed, and that took vigorous scrubbing.
    It's really bad.

11th April, 2015

Oviatt's avatar

I am at heart a traditionalist and love the idea of Pinaud fragrances. Some of them I even like. Lilac Vegetal is not one of them. To start with, I do not care for gourmand fragrances and I hate vegetal fragrances (Yatagan, I forgive you for the celery because you are so great.....). Oh, and lilacs are my least favorite flower. So, if I am predisposed to dislike this scent, why am I even reviewing it? Because it is everywhere! In every men's club locker room, every golf club locker room, there are shelves of the stuff and the fellows splash it on with abandon and carry it out into the world with them. Not my idea of how a gentleman should smell. The scent itself smells sour, synthetic and like you forgot to pour out old vase water. Not my cup of tea by a long shot!

05th February, 2015

Toubo's avatar

This is so much a part of my childhood that I have to give it a "thumbs up". My great-uncle was a barber and I was required to visit his shop every two weeks. This scent was applied liberally each time my haircut ended! Hated it then but now it takes me back to a different era. Thanks for the memories.
    That being said, I understand why almost everyone's first impression is neutral at best. It is the lingerings that makke it the fine product that it is and I hope it NEVER goes away!

02nd July, 2014

Anosmia Amnesia's avatar

I'm not sure whether I sampled the Eau de Cat Piss version or the Extrait de Cat Piss version, but whichever it was, I must say that I have not sampled a less pleasant version, excepting the one produced by an actual live cat.

There is a certain attraction about Pinaud fragrances: They have been in your consciousness as long as you have been going to barbershops and they are priced infinitesimally higher than an empty bottle, a box and gas to get it to the store. Combining those facts makes one wonder what underpins this barbershop empire. Having now experienced LV, I surmise that its longevity arises almost exclusively from the miserly frugality of barbers, with some sales arising from morbid curiosity.

I might actually recommend LV for the purpose of discovering just how poorly and repulsively it is possible to handle an animalic scent. Heuristic purposes aside however, I recommend avoiding this horror at all costs.

23rd June, 2014

kwitcherbitchen's avatar

I know that "like" is a broad term on a variable scale that most people make on an individual basis according to their own tastes and preferences. Having stated that, I "like" most of the Edouard Pinaud Clubman line of various fragrance after shave lotions...with a couple standouts I like more than others.

But I'm struggling with this one...I'm trying really hard to "like" the Lilac Vegetal...I really am...but there's something about the potent, sickeningly-sweet lilac and/or rose-type floral fragrance that instantly jams my nostrils when taking whiffs from the plastic bottle or splashing it on that has a distinct funereal air to it, which isn't a pleasant scent to me at all.

It also exhibits a dominant and sharp-edged, over-saturated wet green woods mid-note that tends to sour even more on dry-down that I'm kinda have a tough time getting past. It's really rather off-putting.

I really, REALLY want to like this Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal...but I can't...I just can't.

And that bums me out.

01st March, 2014

man114's avatar

I am not sure I care for it and it lingers more than EDT. Easily into the next day. My wife thinks it smells like Play Doh. One co-worker described it as oddI think it has an odd lingering scent as if you took a bunch of tree leaves and ground them up.

Then there are the results wearing it. I have been heavily complimented on it. From saying I have excellent taste, I had the finest aftershave ever, a lady even asked what it was so she could buy it for her husband. In all honestly probably 15-20 compliments to 5 smells like urine or Play Doh. At least 75 percent or more thought this was good stuff! Enough so to say something!

The scent clearly appeals to some people, that is clear. Compliments were glowing. I have worn enough stuff that I am indifferent. To me this smells like an odd batch of green leaves ground up with a touch of musk. I am usually good at picking this stuff apart too.

My honest advice is you may not like it, but it is cheap. Buy it, wear it a few days. Even if you don't care for it others might love it.e

31st January, 2014

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After Shave Lotion For Cooling & Refreshing 6oz #6306
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After Shave Lotion For Tones & Refreshing Skin 12.5oz
    Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal After Shave Lotion 12oz #5910

Member images of Lilac Vegetal

There are no member images of Lilac Vegetal yet. Why not be the first?