Lilac Vegetal (1880)

Based on 40 ratings

Lilac Vegetal information

Lilac Vegetal is a men's fragrance by Pinaud. The scent was launched in 1880

Reviews of Lilac Vegetal

Showing 1 to 6 of 20 reviews.

Toubo's avatar

This is so much a part of my childhood that I have to give it a "thumbs up". My great-uncle was a barber and I was required to visit his shop every two weeks. This scent was applied liberally each time my haircut ended! Hated it then but now it takes me back to a different era. Thanks for the memories.
    That being said, I understand why almost everyone's first impression is neutral at best. It is the lingerings that makke it the fine product that it is and I hope it NEVER goes away!

02 July, 2014

Anosmia Amnesia's avatar

I'm not sure whether I sampled the Eau de Cat Piss version or the Extrait de Cat Piss version, but whichever it was, I must say that I have not sampled a less pleasant version, excepting the one produced by an actual live cat.

There is a certain attraction about Pinaud fragrances: They have been in your consciousness as long as you have been going to barbershops and they are priced infinitesimally higher than an empty bottle, a box and gas to get it to the store. Combining those facts makes one wonder what underpins this barbershop empire. Having now experienced LV, I surmise that its longevity arises almost exclusively from the miserly frugality of barbers, with some sales arising from morbid curiosity.

I might actually recommend LV for the purpose of discovering just how poorly and repulsively it is possible to handle an animalic scent. Heuristic purposes aside however, I recommend avoiding this horror at all costs.

23 June, 2014

kwitcherbitchen's avatar

I know that "like" is a broad term on a variable scale that most people make on an individual basis according to their own tastes and preferences. Having stated that, I "like" most of the Edouard Pinaud Clubman line of various fragrance after shave lotions...with a couple standouts I like more than others.

But I'm struggling with this one...I'm trying really hard to "like" the Lilac Vegetal...I really am...but there's something about the potent, sickeningly-sweet lilac and/or rose-type floral fragrance that instantly jams my nostrils when taking whiffs from the plastic bottle or splashing it on that has a distinct funereal air to it, which isn't a pleasant scent to me at all.

It also exhibits a dominant and sharp-edged, over-saturated wet green woods mid-note that tends to sour even more on dry-down that I'm kinda have a tough time getting past. It's really rather off-putting.

I really, REALLY want to like this Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal...but I can't...I just can't.

And that bums me out.

01st March, 2014

man114's avatar

I am not sure I care for it and it lingers more than EDT. Easily into the next day. My wife thinks it smells like Play Doh. One co-worker described it as oddI think it has an odd lingering scent as if you took a bunch of tree leaves and ground them up.

Then there are the results wearing it. I have been heavily complimented on it. From saying I have excellent taste, I had the finest aftershave ever, a lady even asked what it was so she could buy it for her husband. In all honestly probably 15-20 compliments to 5 smells like urine or Play Doh. At least 75 percent or more thought this was good stuff! Enough so to say something!

The scent clearly appeals to some people, that is clear. Compliments were glowing. I have worn enough stuff that I am indifferent. To me this smells like an odd batch of green leaves ground up with a touch of musk. I am usually good at picking this stuff apart too.

My honest advice is you may not like it, but it is cheap. Buy it, wear it a few days. Even if you don't care for it others might love it.e

31st January, 2014

Flippy's avatar

Well this is interesting. I think a lot of people hate it because it is so different from the norm - but that doesn't make it bad smelling. It just makes it weird.

Lilac, linalool, limonene - who knows what else. Right out of the bottle the smell is actually pretty bad. It smells sort of like baby diapers (fresh ones!). It goes through the usual Pinaud transmogrification during dry down into a much more pleasant (but still weird) scent.

Once dry you're left with a simple, deep green scent. Sort of like the smell you get when you walk into the greenhouse at a nursery. Not so much floral, but very leafy. There is a slight powdery scent to keep the green smell from getting too heavy or oppressive - but that's it. This is a very simple, one dimensional scent. And it lasts - and lasts - and lasts. I thought Clubman lasted forever, but this stuff I could still smell over six hours after using as an aftershave.

I can see why this smells so weird to the modern nose accustomed to complex fragrances, and especially why it seems absurd to call this scent "masculine" - but it's still not bad. Aside from being dangerously unique in comparison to modern fragrances, The Veg is also bright green in color and looks pretty cool in anyone's collection. Bonus hint - apply with restraint, using wet hands on a wet face. This is one scent, more than any other I can think of which should not be put on too strong. And don't go within ten feet of anybody until after 20 minutes after application. After that: enjoy!

30th January, 2014

Locus Solus's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Unbelievably foul. Poured it down the loo, an appropriate fate given its cat piss-like qualities.

10th November, 2013