Lomani (1987)

About Lomani

Lomani is a masculine fragrance by Lomani. The scent was launched in 1987

Lomani fragrance notes

Reviews of Lomani

Everyone across the fragrance universe loves to call this the "cheap Drakkar Noir (1982) clone", "Drakkar Light", or sometimes even "Proto-Cool Water (1988)" because of it's ties to that aqueous scent's lightness, but in application it doesn't much resemble either of them. The problem with all the Drakkar Noir comparisons, is they do damage coming from a perspective of a person who hasn't sampled a lot of soapy citrus-forward fougères, which all arguably "smell like Drakkar Noir" when you take into account the bright bergamot opening countered with a sweet fruity or citrus note that they all share. Lemon, tangerine, or apple (depending on the fragrance) all balance the bergamot in fougères like this, creating that recognizable introduction; Creed Green Irish Tweed (1986) did this, then Houbigant Duc de Vervins (1986) and Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (1986), Lomani Pour Homme (1987), Sung Homme (1988), and even Cabaret de Gres Pour Homme (2004) over 20 years after Drakkar Noir launched. You can't sit there and tell me they're all clones of Drakkar Noir, even if I know some of you folks believe so, as it is just an example of a genre being formed in a scent's wake, with Drakkar Noir being the initial push. With all that said, it is true that Lomani Pour Homme does follow in the footsteps of Drakkar Noir in it's opening moments, but just like all the above fougères I named, takes it's own path. Lomani Pour Homme is a deep album cut of a scent, and not a chart-topping single of a fragrance like Drakkar Noir. The stuff housed in this very-80's angular bottle and jacked with enough colorant to stain a shirt will not impress most people, and hardly anyone outside of Europe or the Middle East (where the Parisian Lomani is oddly most popular) will have even heard of it. There's a lot of artistry and balance in this bottle, which is made all the better by how cheap this is to attain. The smell is certainly no revelation, but more respectable than it's price tag suggests.

The soapy-sweet opening that sends most hardcore died-in-the-wool Drakkar guys frothing into an outrage consists of lemon, tangerine, bergamot, and lavender. It's really unsurprising, and if you look up any of the clean fougères I compared it to, you'll see similar openings and I feel it leans far more green like Duc de Vervins than Drakkar, but that's my take away. There are only so many ways to catch a mouse here folks, especially in the tightly-defined fougère category, so just wait it out, and if you're a huge fan of soapy clean openings, you don't really need further convincing anyway. This highly-recognizable soapy lemon accord reminds me most of GIT or Bowling Green after a few moments have passed, as there is a bit of verbena attached to that lemon. The middle of vetiver simply pulls further in the green direction that draws associations to the aforementioned Geoffrey Beene scent, before coriander and dry patchouli (not the resinous headshop variety) start doing the talking on skin. Juniper is listed as a note in the middle, but I find there to be more of a geranium kick than anything, leading Lomani down a mid-century barbershop path, until the shockingly chypre-like base knocks me for a loop. I think this base is where more modern and mainstream noses cry foul with Lomani Pour Homme, claiming it to be thin, weak, unsatisfactory dreck imitating their beloved Drakkar Noir, because we're drawn in closer to an old "masculine citrus" chypre-like dry down that has sharp oakmoss, cedarwood, a very light civet dusting, and an incense note warming things up just a pinch without a heavy bass riff. Anyone who has smelled Monsieur de Givenchy (1959), Avon Tribute (1963), or Monsieur Lanvin (1964) already knows what I'm talking about here, except in Lomani Pour Homme, the "dirt" is dialed way down low so it doesn't contrast the soapy clean top and heart too much. Lomani Pour Homme goes on clean, and ends up a little warm and dirty at the end, which is usually the opposite of how these things work, making it all the more fascinating to me. It's not a powerful scent, but the spray head issues a lot of juice, telling me you're not meant to be conservative on it's use anyway (also like Monsieur de Givenchy). The woods in this can sometimes get a little raspy and nosehair-stinging, but that's the one nagging part of the scent's cheapness that I guess can't be avoided.

Lomani itself is a value brand owned by Parour Paris, a house that exists on the same level of EA Fragrances in the US, shipping out from labels they either made (like Lomani) or purchased (like Remy Latour) to sell in Duty-Free shops or discount big box retailers/drugstores throughout Europe and the Middle East. You're as likely to find a Lomani perfume there as you would a bottle of something Claiborne here in the states, with most Lomani scents floating between $10 and $20 USD at MSRP. Obviously, folks wanting words like "Haute" or "Maison" on their bottles should not still be reading this review, but in case you are, you might get a kick out of knowing that both Bollywood and Iranian celebrities have approached Lomani to make their signature lines for them, which is part of why the stuff sells by the bucket over there, since that brings Lomani some unanticipated local prestige in those markets. Folks in Lomani's home turf see this in the same way Americans saw Revlon products in decades past, as a cheap solid alternative to the big designer brands, so Lomani is pretty odd as an obscure French drugstore brand with larger-than-normal success in the Middle East. Bottom line here is that Lomani Pour Homme is still around for a reason, plus it's everywhere online and at sale prices often under $10 too, making it a no-brainer for anyone that want to stock up on an unabashedly 80's soapy lemon fougère that strays shy of being a powerhouse, but will still carry good longevity and can be used with abandon. I'd say this does the simple barbershop fougère vibe better than the smokier Drakkar Noir, but that will just infuriate it's fans more. The big degree of separation is where Lomani finishes compared to it's peers: it's only soapy and clean 80's in the beginning, then it becomes dry, forthright 1950's masculinity that simmers down to an oakmoss and earthy incense glow on skin. The freshness of the opening pulls a "now you see me, now you don't" which confuses people, but for me it's one of the scent's strongest quirks, as it really is rather linear outside of that huge pendulum swing. Office and casual use recommended, and surprisingly good in heat, this "Undrakkar Notnoir" is ironically more versatile than it's oft-compared older cousin, and thus suitable for daily work use.
10th July, 2018 (last edited: 11th July, 2018)
Yeah, yeah, this opens up just like Drakkar Noir. Fresher? Mmm, not really.
They both got this rough, crude, musky dry down, but whereas Drakkar Noir has that birch tar/leather dry down, this one has this sickly smell of an almost soda-like accord. You're not going to smell like Coca-Cola, but there's a syrupy soda-ness in there to me. It's not pleasant to me, and just smells cheap. So I guess absence of birch tar equals "fresher" to some, but for me it's trading one heavy for another.

I myself used to like Drakkar Noir but now I can't stand the dry down. If you like DN, Preferred Stock, and Red, you'll probably want to try out Lomani PH. They all start off with the same vibe as Guy La Roche's popular flanker but then veer of that path and kind of do their own thing.

12th January, 2018 (last edited: 11th February, 2018)
What a great blind buy. I really love Drakkar Noir, it's a true powerhouse classic of the 80's. Lomani Pour Homme is basically a softer, less abrasive, though more synthetic version of Drakkar Noir for a third of the price.

The initial spray is a huge blast of amber, lavender and that Drakkar note that I can't place or name but is completely unique and very appealing. After 30 minutes to an hour you get leather, vetiver, patchouli and musk notes that are masculine, edgy and wonderful. The base of oak moss, musk and leather carry on after the first few hours for quite a long time.

With a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, wrists and chest) I am getting 7-10 hours of longevity, becoming a skin scent with a soft trail after six hours. It has fairly good projection and decent sillage within the first six hours or so. It stays about two or three days on clothes and fabrics.

If you love Drakkar Noir, this is a very good and super cheap powerhouse fragrance that smells very similar to that but has its own character and appeal all its own.
26th April, 2017
I was given a bottle of this 20 years ago and absolutely hated it. Came in handy for spraying the dog after he got a bit woofy, but certainly not anything I would wear. After reading the reviews here recently, I headed off the other day to try it. Found it in a local chemist and sprayed it on my hand. Out into the street I went and felt the whole world smelled of this. Big, powerful, synthetic and overpowering. This is the stuff you used when you were 16 and didn't know any better!
I'm no perfume snob and love to find inexpensive bargains (Versace The Dreamer and Nautica Voyage are great smelling bargains), but this is crude and disgusting. Want to announce to the world that you have absolutely no taste and sensitivity whatsoever? Wear this. I got home and couldn't wait to wash it off. If took two goes with a scrubbing brush.

If you wear lots of gold chains, open your shirt buttons to your belt and go for white moccasins, then this is for you.
02nd May, 2016
If you, like me, love Drakkar Noir green fougere top notes but don't care about the boring, amber/woody dry down, Lomani is the one to get. I don't think It smells cheap, It's just a well-done green 80s scent, refreshing and masculine. I don't detect any trace of powder, just green and herbal notes with great longevity and projection. Also a real bargain!
27th January, 2015
The comparison with Drakkar Noir is spot-on. I did admire the fact that something so cheap could smell half-decent. Until I found a few perfumes that I could get at a similar price (or for even less), and smelled great. It is certainly better than nothing, but the impression of cheapness is impossible to avoid. Especially after 20 minutes from the initial blast.

I don't much like Drakkar Noir (too much Dihydromyrcenol); having smelled it only on other people (tough many times, and at length). I remain unqualified to properly review it. But I never thought Drakkar Noir smelled cheap.

Still, Lomani and Drakkar do share some things very much in common: they are loud, harsh, (Lomani is harsher), long-lasting, almost completely "linear" (until you get to the "morning after" bottom of the drydown), and absolutely artificial in their scent. If there is anything natural in there, (meaning essential oils & family...) your nose will never detect it.

Drakkar seems (or is it now "seemed"?) a bit less harsh, and not cheap at all, probably because much better "musks" and/or some other base/fixative aromachems are used in it.

Dihydromyrcenol, the aromachem that completely takes over the scent of both, is described as "fresh, citrus, lime, floral, clean, cologne, weedy". NOT SO: unless by "fresh" you mean "antiseptic", and by "citrus, etc., etc.,..." you mean "dull grey fuzzy-prickly metal", and "weedy" means "wood from a very strange planet". It also gives the very unsettling impression that it (ever so gently) wants to break through your sinuses, and explore other parts of your head. It feels abrasive to me.

Lomani has to have a formula cost so low that most of its ingredients probably fall into the functional/air-care perfumery category. Though it does not smell completely like it, it does give a laundry detergent vibe. After all, there are such things as "laundry musks".

Like I said, there are some super-cheap fragrances that smell simply great. This is not one of them. I really wanted to like it when I bought it. Being so close to Dk.N didn't help. There was no way I could get past its cheapness (and I really tried). I couldn't even push myself into feeling indifferent about it. Looking back, I wonder at the fact that I tried so hard to like it.

Even then, I tried to use it as an "only at home" after bath freshener. I tired of the scent constantly reminding me "I'm loud, I'm proud, and I'm very, very cheap." My nose could not "tune out" its scent when I was wearing it. - not a good thing in this particular case. Finally, I had to accept that, besides imitating a perfume I didn't care about, it was also a case of "you get what you pay for", and decided to get rid of it.

I should have probably thrown it in the trash can. Instead, I gave it to my father, who will happily wear anything, and had no qualms about wearing profligate amounts of it. It disappeared from the household scentscape very quickly. Finally, relief from a scent that, no matter how much I tried to befriend, always seemed to want to pick up a fight with me.

Thank God for small mercies.
19th April, 2014 (last edited: 09th May, 2014)

Add your review of Lomani

Shop for Lomani products online

Shop for Lomani at online perfumeries

Lomax Horizon By Lomani for Men 3.3 oz EDT Spray NO BOX, LOW FILL RARE, HTF