Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords (1985)
by Penhaligon's

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords information

Year of Launch1985

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchSheila Pickles

About Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords

Originally created in 1911 for Percy Croft of the Croft Port Dynasty. Released to the public in the eighties with the name Lords. In 2004, the fragrance was named Douro after Portugal's famous port region.

In 2009 the fragrance packaging was changed and the scent was renamed Douro Eau de Portugal.

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords fragrance notes

Reviews of Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords

The opening smells like lemon lime Kool-Aid. It's as bright and cheery as the beginning of summer vacation, after a long winter of school work and indoors. I've only worn it twice so far, but this is a wonderful, fresh fragrance that could use a little boost with regards to longevity and sillage, but that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of Douro. I like it well enough to invest in a back-up bottle.
29th April, 2018
In the world of the niche fragrances with huge impressions, this scent would get lost. For me, after Blenheim Bouquet, it is quintessentially Penhaligons and very British - clean, groomed, of the barbershop type of scent. But more than that, it is the only scent that I buy and wear because it reminds me of someone. Not a lover or something so romantic - but the partner of a close friend who I find to be an inspirational British gentleman. Maybe its a 'Bro-mance' but this gentleman from Dublin is a man of creativity and style, at once a bloke and a gentleman, and someone I genuinely admire (not to mention very handsome with an Irish intensity.) Fresh, clean, appropriate for almost any occasion, it is not the first scent I recommend but I really should. For anyone who wants to project a dignified, confident aura, this is it. Does that sound boring? I don't mean it to be. The gentleman who inspired me to purchase this is anything but.
01st February, 2018
Douro is another nice scent from Penhaligons that unfortunately has terrible performance. The opening smells very similar to Caron's Pour un Homme without the later's prominent vanilla note. It's a tart, aromatic citrus and lavender accord that has a retro feel to it. The opening, while nice, doesn't last more than 30 minutes, then fades to a scent very similar to the dry down stage in Sartorial. On me, Douro was a skin scent after an hour, and gone completely at 3 hours. Penhaligons has some terrific scents but many simply don't offer great performance. Sartorial, Endymion and Bayolea are in my rotation because they are unique, smell great and offer adequate performance. Since is fairly similar to Sartorial, and I own and love wearing Caron PuH, Douro for me is pointless. I'll give it a neutral for the pleasant fragrance in the short time it lasted.
27th October, 2017
An old school fragrance with a clean soapy smell. As others below have put it, it "conjures up images of public schools, stately homes and cricket whites" and "could have come from Bertie Wooster's very own bathroom". Soaps with this kind of smell include Cussons Imperial Leather in England, Speick (Germany) and Savon Fougere by Roger and Gallet, France. It is indeed a traditional fougere, with lots of lavender underscored by oakmoss and also some lily of the valley reinforcing the 'clean' quality. I would choose Duoro when donning my Harris Tweed Jacket to attend a classic car rally.
29th February, 2016
I've been looking for a fantastically fresh every day scent, and this is it for me. It opens with a blast of lemon and settles on a very clean finish that is beautifully sophisticated.

I'm very new to the world of higher end fragrances - every cologne I've ever bought has been a typical department store purchase. I recently picked up a few Penhaligon's fragrances and all I can say is I'm looking to buy many more.

I would describe them as sophisticated and complex, distinct and refined, yet very familiar and intriguing.
19th April, 2014
Starts off citrus dominant. Then a strange medicinal/chemical note. Dry down gets rid of the chemical odor. Penhaligon is a classic house, but this isn't their best. Last's moderately long.
10th June, 2012

Add your review of Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords

Shop for Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords

There are no member images of Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords yet. Why not be the first?

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords News