Macassar (1980)
    by Rochas

Average Rating: 4

Based on 56 ratings

Macassar Fragrance notes

Absinthe, Bay, Geranium, Tobacco Flower, Coriander, Ginger, Cedar, Sandalwood, Gaiacwood, Macassar

Macassar information

Macassar is a men's fragrance by Rochas. The scent was launched in 1980 and the fragrance was created by Nicolas Mamounas. The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Reviews of Macassar

Showing 1 to 6 of 20 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Macassar is a take-no-prisoners 1980s powerhouse poised (if I dare use the word,) somewhere between the tobacco drenched, Big, Fat, F*&%ing Fougeres like Jules and Havana and the hairy chested leathers like Antaeus and Van Cleef and Arpels. It's a loud, crude scent that wears heavy gold chains under its open shirt and chews with its mouth open, and by today's standards it is hopelessly dated. More a caricature of its genre than any scent I can recall, Macassar is one discontinued "classic" whose passing I do not mourn. Anybody nostalgic for this kind of scent would do well to seek out the much better crafted Jules, Havana, Or Black, or Lauder for Men, all of which pack just as much testosterone without drooling on their shirt fronts.

19 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Unique in many ways

The loud, intensive, boozy absinthe top note is combined with some bay and ginger - a heavy and unique opening blast that remains somewhat undifferentiated on my skin. Then geranium is coming forth in the drydown. Later wood is gradually taking over. I am getting cedar initially, then an ebony-Macassar character with other wood notes that linger for a while. In the last hour I am getting mainly a sweetish quite restrained leather that is cower to my skin and gradually fading out. Very creatively composed too and base notes made of ingredients of the highest quality, but although he drydown is not without elegant power, it lacks some finesse on my skin. Longevity is well over three hours.

08 August, 2013

Darvant's avatar

Well, many of us, i mean many Basenoters, people from Fragrantica and in genenal each enthusiastic about classic perfumes of the left back old age tend to be overly fond of this kind of fragrances (sometimes we are also a bit too emphatic cause nostalgic about discontinued scents), i mean about stuffs so evocative, virile and naturally appointed with traditional practices and natural ingredients. Macassar is a classic, no doubts about, a sadly discontinued traditional and uncompromissingly masculine woody concoction with a green (vaguely minty) and sharply floral initial stage, a really impressive tobacco presence (a feel far more stressed than the yet present leathery vibe) and a woody (cedary kind) comforting dry down. I don't find it particularly strong or testosteronical in spite of its plain virile temperament. For a long while the aroma is herbal, really anisic, boise', musky/aromatic (cool by ginger, aromatic spices, resins, laurel and various herbs) and slightly citrusy and i detect a really sharp floral presence coming from the astringent geranium. The latter is really notable under my nose. In this phase i detect a sort of Monsieur Givenchy's type of vibe (with all the differences) , especially if we test the Macassar After Shave. In a short while a sort of really smokey (i refer to the seasoned tobacco and the spices) and more than vaguely leathery/ woody vibe takes the stage with a role of protagonist, closing the door in face to the former green/anisic/boise/floral stage. In this phase the juice become less sparkling (the anisic ginger is a far memory) and more sharp, "toasted", roasted and seasoned in its woodiness. The legend turns at this point out with all its evocative power about glorious ages, temperamental men and "misured" taste. I agree about this conservative fragrance being not utterly sophisticated or classy but can't refrain me by rating it with a determined thumbs up in order to reward its history, the naturality and its charge of memories.

01st April, 2013 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2014)

döfä91's avatar

Finland Finland

This one is the great fragrance that i used to wear occasionally in 1985-1987.
    That time as juvenile it felt like too mature, strong, dominating and business-like, and it didn't belong to my top favourites. I remember this scent was highly respected in my country at that time; this scent was placed usually on the topmost shelf in warehouses and perfume shops - it was used by businessmen, managers mostly. I remember this scent had a very special effect on me though, it felt like magic... Not sure if it was black or white magic.

Then i forgot the whole scent for 23 years as it was discountinued at some point. I re-discovered this last year and now it has become my new favourite, signature fragrance.

I think this is a masterpiece, and by far the best of "The Nose" of Rochas, Nicolas Mamounas' creations. This creates a exeptional sillage, a distinctive, powerful, but somehow introvert aura, like hidden or hold back, drawn back power.

10th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2012)

Zut's avatar

I have a virtually untouched 100ml non-spray bottle of Macassar still in the original black box (the short oval bottle with a big black cap). I keep it as a collector item but I am not a fan of the fragrance. Macassar is one of the dryest and woodiest masculine EDT's I have ever tried on. On my skin, it does not develop very well though. It is much too hard, almost brutal. After a while, it does become a little milder but not enough for my personal taste. I would probably love Macassar if it had a powdery note such as amber or opopanax to soften the composition. I had much better results with Yatagan (Caron) and Phileas (Nina Ricci) which are quite dry and woody as well but not so hard. I am sure Macassar smells wonderful on some skins so I give it a neutral rating (closer to thumbs up than thumbs down).

28 September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Macassar it's not just a masculine fragrance, it's more like an angry male gorilla wearing a tuxedo. It's everything but elegant or sophisticated but i LIKE it. A loud, unbottoned shirt, hairchested and burping male at the Opera Premiere. Not an everyday's fragrance, but once in a blue moon it's so great to be unpolite...

Wonder how it smells? Basically LEATHER and TOBACCO (as loud as they can)!

14 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2011)

Add your review of Macassar

Search for on eBay United States

Rochas Macassar - 75 ml - Vintage, new and VERY RARE!!
    • Time Left: 28 days