Armani Mania (2002)

PerfumerFrancis Kurkdjian
SupplierQuest International
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Armani Mania

A fresh fragrance from Giorgio, packaged in a distinctive smoked glass bottle. Contains notes of saffron, mandarin, cedar, vetiver and amber.
The bottle is topped with a distinct gun-metal cap.

Armani Mania fragrance notes

Reviews of Armani Mania

Reviewing Armani Mania is tough for me, as I want to approach it somewhat objectively.

Let me start by disclaiming that I absolutely adore Mania. It's such an elegant, understated scent. It clicked with me, right from the very first moment I smelled it.

However, I'll attempt to be objective - even though I am at heart a completely subjective reviewer. I always try to approach all fragrances with the goal of giving an impression of what the scent is like, but the verdict is always subjective - my personal take on the scent.

To give some background, Mania falls in to that woody style that was quite popular in the late 90's and early 2000's. Gucci Rush for men was one of the first that set the template. Versace Man turned it upside down with sweet amber, tobacco and saffron. Gucci Pour Homme I made it dark and austere with incense and a woodsy overload.

Mania however, takes the playful route.

It opens with a peppery mandarin orange and a boatload of saffron. The saffron is right there from start to finish, and it's beautifully done. It's not the most complex saffron rendition, but it captures the essence of the scent of fresh saffron flowers.

The mandarin and saffron notes are joined in the mid by the 2000's mainstay - cedar. It's an obviously synthetic rendition, but it works perfectly here. I also get a hint of smoky vetiver, giving it some depth in the middle.

The base is a fairly uneventful musky amber. It's very subdued and is in the background. I get the impression that it's really only there to make sure that the cedar and saffron persist, and it joins those two in a great unison.

However, I must approach this fairly. It isn't all rose-y red and spectacular. Mania certainly has it's flaws.

1. It's synthetic. Much like Versace's The Dreamer, they are both created in a hyper-synthetic mold. In The Dreamer it works perfectly, as the scent comes across as being quite futuristic. However in Mania, it seems cheaper. That's not to say that the scent smells cheap, but the ingredient quality is surely lacking a bit. The mandarin and saffron aren't especially distinctive, and I do get the idea that Mania was made to a budget.

2. Mania can come across as too reserved. Compared to Code, Mania is more grown up and understated. But it's almost too understated. I don't want it to cut through the room, but Mania is very close to the skin. Some may like this, I don't mind it, but it'd be interesting to see what Armani could do with a intense version of this.

All in all, I consider Mania to be a phenomal scent. The longevity is quite good too - 7-8 hours.

Rating: 8.5/10
18th January, 2016 (last edited: 19th January, 2016)
Nice. I really like the tangerine note in this one. I get some light woods and a light musk note. like this one for outdoors. Might not be too good for the office. A nice flanker of the original. Nice job! 7/10
28th October, 2015
Guilty pleasure. I admit this is clearly utterly synthetic, kind of cheap, with a ridicolously crap persistence...but I like it - for the first thirty minutes (which is nearly the entire life span of Mania) I actually almost love it. It smells like something Comme des Garçons could have come up with, and in that case it would surely have got more praise. Basically it is a really simple, almost “geometrical” cold blend of icy white cedar, violet, saffron (for once, I get a real smell of saffron, even if for really short) and crisp, slightly watery musk. The notes are conventional, and so is the blend somehow: but they get a treatment here which makes them smell metallic, fresh, transparent, really “contemporary” and slightly different from, for example, other “pencil sharpener” scents. Saffron probably gives some spicy twist which makes Mania smell a bit more unique, but also musk plays a role in providing a really peculiar sort of watery-metallic feel underneath the spicy woodiness. Also I get a sort of rubbery vinyl-like feel resembling to synthetic leather, really subtle and oddly “fresh” like the rest for the notes. Shortly a different – more modern, more aloof – take on a spicy “pencil shavings” fragrance, in the same league of Montana Graphite and Balmain’s Carbone crossed with the synthetic transparency of many Comme des Garçons fragrances. This is a bit like a really common piece of glass, just positioned in a slightly different way thus reflecting things differently. Nothing new and nothing great, but it works good and it’s worthy a sniff for me.

6,5-7/10
06th June, 2015
Salutation.

The style of GIORGIO ARMANI fragrances needs no introduction.they are as lovely as Italian people. ARMANI MANIA is not the best male fragrances by this designer but don't forget ARMANI is always ARMANI.It is not too strong but just enough. Pleasant,Musky, Masculine,Fresh,Captivating,Elegant,Modern yet Classic.

A fresh and citrusy blend of mandarine orange mixed with saffron,soft spicy and musk as they provide a fresh masculinity and captivating elegance that it captivates the attention especially a woman as she loves it and will follow a man wearing.Totally The dry down is not remarkable for me.

In my opinion ARMANI MANIA can be worn most of the year and in a variety of environments however for a special occasion you needs to wear something more strong.suitable for a young and elegance man.If you likes woody-spicy fragrances but find more of them to be overwhelming ,if this is salubrious with your chemistry then can be a perfect choice.

Sillage?Average.

Longevity?Could be better.

6.5/10
16th December, 2014
Utterly uninspiring, bland and weak fragrance. A meager copy of Bvlgari PH, but on a lower scale in terms of quality. Nothing more to say, would be a waste of energy.
06th August, 2014
ad_scott Show all reviews
Really pleased with Mania. It was a blind buy though well worth the risk! Many reviews I've seen have put Mania down saying it's nothing special but I disagree - I really like it. In the opening I get a sweet hit of what I can best describe as fresh lime and vodka with a tad of aldehydes. Soon it calms down to a persistent velutinous fabric and leather vibe; reminiscent of a brand new car interior with leather seats or a new tailor shop full of new suits. Mania evokes images of virginal luxury cars, a modern gentleman in a suit an tie, a very new office suite. This fragrance holds the Armani signature that takes me back to the mid-late 1990s, maybe it's the amber note that attains this mawkishness. Yes, the notes in this fragrance are simple but in terms of wearing this fragrance I regard it as sophisticated, interesting and suitable for use at the office or during a night out. Would I use it for a date? Yes I probably would. Longevity is decent, minimum of 5 hours and sillage is not tenacious but modest. Bottle design is awesome, modern and minimal, adequately suiting the fragrance itself. Overall I give Mania 8 out of 10.
21st May, 2014