Armani Mania (2002)

PerfumerFrancis Kurkdjian
SupplierQuest International
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Armani Mania

A fresh fragrance from Giorgio, packaged in a distinctive smoked glass bottle. Contains notes of saffron, mandarin, cedar, vetiver and amber.
The bottle is topped with a distinct gun-metal cap.

Armani Mania fragrance notes

Reviews of Armani Mania

A pleasant neutral....

Armani Mania suffers two main problems, in my opinion. The first is its performance: It simply doesn't project or last all that well. And while it's not the kind of scent that calls for beastly projection, it's probably too dialed-in here. I have a friend who used to invite my wife and I over to watch movies. He had a nice TV and a surround sound system. But he insisted on keeping the volume so low that we had to strain our ears just to hear it. It's like squinting your eyes when you're barely able to see something. We were squinting with our ears. It drove me crazy, every spoken word falling right between the threshold of audible and inaudible, every explosion a staticky tinkle that sounded more like someone shushing me than a bomb going off... "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? WHY CAN'T YOU TURN THE VOLUME UP?!" I wanted to shout into the tense, imposed silence. And that's what I want to shout at Armani Mania when I'm wearing it, "Turn the volume up!" It's too quiet, and not in a good way, just an unsatisfying, itch-you-can't-scratch, incomplete sort of way. You crave more but you never get it. The second problem involves its development, or lack thereof. The first third of Mania is great, a beautiful fresh blend of woods and light citrus notes, some white musk giving it a pleasant ozonic fuzz. But then it doesn't really develop at all or even stay solidly linear long enough to be satisfying. If Mania's first 45 minutes persisted for 3 or 4 hours I'd be fine. But it doesn't. Instead, around the one hour mark it becomes a pretty bland, uninspiring cedar smell. The fresh spritely goodness from the opening is gone but there's really nothing that emerges in the base to take its place and keep this one fun. So then you get boring, been-there-done-that cedar for another measly hour or so before Mania completely craps out into a thin veil of woods and white musk, nothing more than a skin scent if that. Ugh. Mania had so much promise. The beginning is really wonderful, but it neither holds nor develops and instead peters out like a dying car on its last lap. Putt putt putt putt putt......that's the sound of Mania, petering out at 2 1/2 hours.

While I give this a neutral I have to be honest and say that it's a positive neutral. I like Mania. I even love it for a little while, it just suffers from a couple serious issues. But when it's first applied, it really smells nice, maybe the nicest "fresh woods" scent I've smelled. And that's really what it is, fresh woods. Think of a much better version of Mr. Burberry or something, Kumkat Wood minus Mancera's perfumey nonsense to ruin it. Also, it holds up on fabric so if you spray Mania liberally onto your clothes you'll have a better ride. But that's kind of like me pushing my closer to the TV so I can hear it while watching movies at my friend's house--it kinda works but shouldn't be necessary. Therefore I give Mania a 6.5/10 in the end--still neutral--but on its positive side at least.
18th January, 2018
Although I do like the wisps of saffron that appear, overall I find Armani Mania to be a bit of a generic, woody-musk EdT with little depth and longevity. Basil appears to come out to me, although it's not officially in the fragrance triangle.

Armani Mania seems crafted for laid-back, casual occasions for anyone young at heart. It's not offensive to me, but it just doesn't connect with me as it might someone else.
22nd February, 2017
The saffron in this scent turned a lot of Iranian heads while I was living in the UAE. North Indians find the saffron in this scent appealing too.

I'd probably buy it again if I can find it in India and if it has a matching deodorant.
29th November, 2016
Reviewing Armani Mania is tough for me, as I want to approach it somewhat objectively.

Let me start by disclaiming that I absolutely adore Mania. It's such an elegant, understated scent. It clicked with me, right from the very first moment I smelled it.

However, I'll attempt to be objective - even though I am at heart a completely subjective reviewer. I always try to approach all fragrances with the goal of giving an impression of what the scent is like, but the verdict is always subjective - my personal take on the scent.

To give some background, Mania falls in to that woody style that was quite popular in the late 90's and early 2000's. Gucci Rush for men was one of the first that set the template. Versace Man turned it upside down with sweet amber, tobacco and saffron. Gucci Pour Homme I made it dark and austere with incense and a woodsy overload.

Mania however, takes the playful route.

It opens with a peppery mandarin orange and a boatload of saffron. The saffron is right there from start to finish, and it's beautifully done. It's not the most complex saffron rendition, but it captures the essence of the scent of fresh saffron flowers.

The mandarin and saffron notes are joined in the mid by the 2000's mainstay - cedar. It's an obviously synthetic rendition, but it works perfectly here. I also get a hint of smoky vetiver, giving it some depth in the middle.

The base is a fairly uneventful musky amber. It's very subdued and is in the background. I get the impression that it's really only there to make sure that the cedar and saffron persist, and it joins those two in a great unison.

However, I must approach this fairly. It isn't all rose-y red and spectacular. Mania certainly has it's flaws.

1. It's synthetic. Much like Versace's The Dreamer, they are both created in a hyper-synthetic mold. In The Dreamer it works perfectly, as the scent comes across as being quite futuristic. However in Mania, it seems cheaper. That's not to say that the scent smells cheap, but the ingredient quality is surely lacking a bit. The mandarin and saffron aren't especially distinctive, and I do get the idea that Mania was made to a budget.

2. Mania can come across as too reserved. Compared to Code, Mania is more grown up and understated. But it's almost too understated. I don't want it to cut through the room, but Mania is very close to the skin. Some may like this, I don't mind it, but it'd be interesting to see what Armani could do with a intense version of this.

All in all, I consider Mania to be a phenomal scent. The longevity is quite good too - 7-8 hours.

Rating: 8.5/10
18th January, 2016 (last edited: 19th January, 2016)
Nice. I really like the tangerine note in this one. I get some light woods and a light musk note. like this one for outdoors. Might not be too good for the office. A nice flanker of the original. Nice job! 7/10
28th October, 2015
Guilty pleasure. I admit this is clearly utterly synthetic, kind of cheap, with a ridicolously crap persistence...but I like it - for the first thirty minutes (which is nearly the entire life span of Mania) I actually almost love it. It smells like something Comme des Garçons could have come up with, and in that case it would surely have got more praise. Basically it is a really simple, almost “geometrical” cold blend of icy white cedar, violet, saffron (for once, I get a real smell of saffron, even if for really short) and crisp, slightly watery musk. The notes are conventional, and so is the blend somehow: but they get a treatment here which makes them smell metallic, fresh, transparent, really “contemporary” and slightly different from, for example, other “pencil sharpener” scents. Saffron probably gives some spicy twist which makes Mania smell a bit more unique, but also musk plays a role in providing a really peculiar sort of watery-metallic feel underneath the spicy woodiness. Also I get a sort of rubbery vinyl-like feel resembling to synthetic leather, really subtle and oddly “fresh” like the rest for the notes. Shortly a different – more modern, more aloof – take on a spicy “pencil shavings” fragrance, in the same league of Montana Graphite and Balmain’s Carbone crossed with the synthetic transparency of many Comme des Garçons fragrances. This is a bit like a really common piece of glass, just positioned in a slightly different way thus reflecting things differently. Nothing new and nothing great, but it works good and it’s worthy a sniff for me.

6,5-7/10