Matchabelli (1982)

About Matchabelli

FIFI award winner in 1981

Matchabelli fragrance notes

Reviews of Matchabelli

For some reason I just really love the name of this men's cologne and the art deco-styled bottle. Just very nice and very 80s. On to the scent..

It's an 80s fragrance for sure, yet doesn't smell like the more well known styles from that era: basic herbal-lemon scents (Armani Eau Pour Homme/Aramis Tuscany), incense laden oriental fougeres (Kouros/Antaeus/Lapidus), outright orientals (Calvin Klein Obsession for Men), or soapy green leathers fougeres (Drakkar Noir/Tsar). What is it close too...
The opening is really harsh, and it reminds me of 70s fragrances like Jovan Musk. It's almost sickening. But once it calms down you get this nice floral dry down that doesn't cross over into feminine territory. It's a nice scent that's suave and romantic.
It projects very well for a cologne and has excellent longevity.
This was supposedly a cheap department store fragrance but I find it much better than some of its more expensive peers at the time.
02nd September, 2019 (last edited: 13th December, 2019)
To this day it is the fragrance that brought me the most compliments. It still does! (I recently bought a bottle that was still full, in its original packaging. It smells as I remember it did. That was a second try, after an earlier half-full bottle smelled completely wrong. I suspect that bottle had been added to with something else.)

In the '80s, I in my 20s then, it evoked compliments from not only virtually every woman I knew, including my mother and one of my college teachers, but also from women whom I'd never met. Strangers would open conversations with a compliment on it. Men, too, even.

These days I wear it lighter than I did in those Saturday-Night-Fever days, yet it has elicited a compliment from a woman I did not know in a shopping mall.

I tried many suggestions of similar fragrances in an effort to reproduce the compliments to no avail.

Can anyone shed any light on why I cannot find a fragrance that emulates it these days? (Possibly out-lawed ingredients?)
15th April, 2019
I'm just getting into aftershaves and found a bottle in the bathroom of Matchabelli that my godfather (US) used to wear and the last time he was in Hungary was in 1994.

In the 16-20 years half of the aftershave disappeared from the bottle. I just checked it and it's definitely stronger than it used to be. I don't think I'll ever use it, but it brought back some memories... :)
27th December, 2010
I found a vintage bottle of this at a school fair and paid the princely sum of 20 cents for it. The bottle is 3/4 full. Even though it is only after shave strength it is still reasonably potent. The subtle woodiness and slight citric start make this a very comfortable fragrance.
05th June, 2010
A toned down 80's chypre with a very, very good lemon and sandalwood note and a hint of leather at the bottom.
18th November, 2008
I LOVED THIS and wore it in college. It's the only thing that I ever wore that both men and women constantly commented on and wanted to know what it was! My French teacher in college even told me one day "I love that smell, what is it?" which was pretty hilarious given the fact that I was about 20 at the time and she must have been 35 or so. She seemed embarrassed to ask. I started out buying it at Meier & Frank or The Bon Marche and it sort of made its way into drugstores and then eventually the only place you could find it was K-Mart! I knew that was the beginning of the end. And soon, it was. So sad. I've never found anything like it.
05th July, 2008

Add your review of Matchabelli

Shop for Matchabelli products online

Shop for Matchabelli at online perfumeries

Vintage Aviance Perfume Splash 1/4 Fl Oz. By Prince Matchabelli Plastic Case 80%

$29.99 (0 Bids)
End Date: Thursday Feb-27-2020 17:37:12 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

Vtg prince matchabelli perfume cologne wardrobe rare mini miniature full new

End Date: Thursday Feb-27-2020 17:37:59 PST

Vintage Prince Matchabelli Aviance Night Musk Perfume Spray Cologne 2/3 1.3 Oz

End Date: Thursday Feb-27-2020 19:35:15 PST
Buy It Now for only: $30.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

WIND SONG BY PRINCE MATCHABELLI COLOGNE NATURAL SPRAY 2.6 OZ LOT OF 2 NEW IN BOX

End Date: Thursday Feb-27-2020 19:47:09 PST

WIND SONG by Prince Matchabelli Dusting Powder 4 oz-120 ml-Women

End Date: Thursday Feb-27-2020 21:32:31 PST
Buy It Now for only: $22.10

Member images of Matchabelli

There are no member images of Matchabelli yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Matchabelli