Méchant Loup (1997)

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerBertrand Duchaufour
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Méchant Loup

Méchant Loup is a masculine fragrance by L'Artisan Parfumeur. The scent was launched in 1997 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour

Méchant Loup fragrance notes

Reviews of Méchant Loup

Time to show myself up as the novice I am. Tested it this morning, then re-applied this evening, from a small sample. Then just read some other reviews and I think I must have completely misunderstood this. The first image that flashed through my mind was water, a freshwater lake with the sun glittering on the water, wet skin, a woman, not a man, summer, and the colour blue. Sweet, fresh, watery, feminine, very pleasant, happy scent. I don't get forest, or darkness, or complication and I certainly don't get anything lupine or even canine in any way at all, except to admit that I do love the warm, nutty smell of the pads on dogs' feet! :). After reading the ingredients, I got the hazelnuts, and tasted in the back of my mouth, rather than smelled, the liquorice. Lots of honey. And something fresh I don't recognise. I don't think it's cedar, I know what that smells like. For me it's Red Riding Hood flopping down on her towel after a refreshing swim by the lakeshore, still in her swimming costume, in relaxed, holiday mood, her wet skin drying in the sun. Nothing big, hairy or menacing in sight... Very sweet, pleasant smell, but not for me. Still a thumbs up though.
(Apologies to those who say I've got this so completely wrong: you may be justified. But I resolve to be honest). :)
06th July, 2015
Starts of sort of animalistic (wet dog or body sweat) and kind of sweet at the same time. The licorice mixed with the honey would have that effect. It actually starts out like a lot of fragrances would end as a skin scent. Strange. This one is not a bad fragrance, just not for me. 6/10
01st April, 2015
kalli Show all reviews
A watered down, less vanillic John Varvatos for men to me. Not sweet in a gourmand way, sweet in a John Varvatos way. If one likes JV, he or she may like Mechant Loup. As it dries, it's more and more like JV. They are like the same scent on the dry down, so disappointing. The nuts were there and gone quickly, I get no honey, no licorice. Just a watered down, John Varvatos, with a smidge more cedar.
30th October, 2014
Wicked wolf? I think not! Incredibly unique and wonderful? I think so! It's hit or miss for me with L'Artisan, but upon first whiff, I was engaged with Mechant Loup. A truly odd and captivating old-candy style anise, in combination with cedar and pine, ever so slightly graced with a sweetness I wish I could pinpoint! Some say hazelnut, some say honey. If the longevity and sillage were stronger, this may have climbed into a favorites list! That being said, a head-cocking, eyebrow-raising, wonderful scent truly worthy of a try! 8.5/10!
19th October, 2014
mspa Show all reviews
imo scentwise this is absolutely ingenious. for the first 30 min. on, this is one the very finest examples of a complex masculine perfumery i have experienced.

behind the lightweight and pleasant texture hides something really frightening. extremely impressive scent that plays around both galantness and machismo. a symbiose between the free spirited forest elf and the stalking predator. the scent's name is artistically justified.

... and then the fleeting house signature reveals itself again ... too bad, since it starts breathtaking but does not perform so well after the first hour or so. the dry down is practically the falling apart.
nevertheless, i am happy to have got a chance to know this. probably the stand out from l'artisan's range.
23rd August, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Without a doubt an oddball, but a personal favorite as well. Perhaps it's the hazelnut that makes it so eccentric, but this scent's unique profile suits me to a "T".

Not threatening, it's true, but after all, this is a fairy tale wolf. I find Méchant Loup extremely well-balanced, despite it fundamental weirdness. The development, from somewhat sweet, woody, and spicy to nutty and ever so faintly animalic, is leisurely and smooth, and the drydown is both sumptuous and subtle. The sillage is only moderate, but I can't agree with claims of poor longevity. I can put this one on in the afternoon and have it last until the next morning.

Oh, yes, and my wife loves it.

19th June, 2014

Add your review of Méchant Loup

Shop for Méchant Loup products online

Shop for Méchant Loup at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Méchant Loup

Member images of Méchant Loup

There are no member images of Méchant Loup yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Méchant Loup