Metropolis (1987)

Metropolis Fragrance Notes

Metropolis information

Metropolis is a men's fragrance by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1987

Reviews of Metropolis

Showing 1 to 6 of 10 reviews.
    positive 8 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

pepelestinker's avatar

Starts off very subtle and minty fresh and green, but quickly evolves into a very dry earthy leather and vetiver, with a dry tobacco feel. I am a leather fanatic, but this just didn't do it for me. The geranium is noticeable and nice, but somehow it alls falls flat on me. More amber would have made all the difference, and it's possible that some of the notes may have altered with age. Too many beauties out there to waste my days with a so so fragrance. :/

27 January, 2012

RicardVonLowen's avatar

This was one favorites back in the eighties, along with Halston Limited, Antaeus, Polo, and of course my all-time favorite: Eau Sauvage. I just received a small spray bottle that I purchased online and I was completely blown away. It smells just as good now as it did then, and I am not just being nostalgic, as the olfactory recollection was not that strong. I get more of a flashback of childhood memories from the smell of crayons, or the smell of a musty window air conditioning unit that takes me back to vacations on the Mexican Riviera, than I do from a vintage cologne. This is totally a review that stands on its own. The scent of Metropolis is so fresh and new after all of these years. Yes, it is green, but the sage is not so pointed as cut grass or citrus leaf. And the middle notes: just a hint of floral, but in a masculine way, perhaps through the use of Hedione (dihydrojasmonate). Finally the leather, so light, like a new lambskin wallet as opposed to a new pair of cowboy boots. One of the many (underrated) masterpieces by Estee Lauder.

01st December, 2010

Harry Drinkwater's avatar

I agree with Connoisseur's review of Metropolis. I love how the leather and green notes complement each other so wonderfully at the top -- slightly medicinal, but that fades after about twenty minutes. Although the leather seems to remain on my skin from top to bottom, it doesn't dominate bombastically; it's subtle, mellow, and dark, always lurking in the background, graciously and selflessly allowing the various other notes to come forth and make their presence felt. A true gem of a fragrance that is, indeed, a rare find. Nothing short of magnificent.

10th August, 2009

scotch7's avatar

It was perfect for me. A mellow blend of spice and musk with a hint of floral. I was devastated when I learned they'd stopped making it. After significant shopping I went with Aramis Tuscany Forte, which was very nice and quite close. Now that's been shelved, and Aramis is a part of Este Lauder. Grr. Wish I could find one or the other in the aftermarkets.

21st January, 2009

Jon_Remy's avatar

It says here that Metropolis is in production, but I've not been able to find it anywhere. If they discontinued it, it is a pity. This was my favorite all time fragrance of the mid to late 80s. It seemed to be a nice herbal fragrance with a hint of green tomato. I remember it having undertones of V8 juice, but I loved it! If anyone knows where to purchase this wonderful fragrance, please let us know here. (But I'm not willing to pay $299 for a bottle, like some sites want--I was looking for Boss Spirit and found it for $300 on the internet and I said to myself forget that, I can just find a new fragrance!). Yes, PLEASE bring back Metropolis if it's been discontinued. By the way, I really like the original Lauder for Men, which is available at my local department store. (Did anyone notice that Donald Trump's fragrance is packaged in the same bottle as Lauder for Men?).

01st January, 2009

AnimaSola's avatar

This fragrance is nearly impossible to find. I found an 11ml bottle for $15 in an obscure perfume shop. It is by far the best fragrance that Estee Lauder ever created. It is a bit medicinal, but the sage, peppermint, vetiver and other notes blend so beautifully that you don't really notice after you're wearing it. It is a sin that this wonderful tonic was ever discontinued. Please resurrect it!

21st September, 2008

Add your review of Metropolis

Search for on eBay United States

ESTEE LAUDER METROPOLIS MEN'S COLOGNE SPRAY 0.37 oz / 11 ml
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 2 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)
    Rare Discontinued Estee Lauder Metropolis .37 oz. Cologne Spray
    • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 1 day
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)