Metropolis (1987)

Metropolis Fragrance Notes

Metropolis information

Metropolis is a men's fragrance by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1987

Reviews of Metropolis

Showing 1 to 6 of 11 reviews.
    positive 9 Positive Reviewsneutral2 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

drseid's avatar

Metropolis opens with an aromatic blast of lavender with supporting green peppermint before transitioning to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the peppermint becomes more prominent, taking center stage as the lavender swaps into a supporting role joined by hints of carnation, lemony rose-like geranium and slightly sweet amber rising from the base. During the late dry-down the aromatic mint and lavender vacate the composition revealing relatively clean musk joining the remaining slightly sweet amber as co-star, with hints of a rough leathery undertone through the finish. Projection is above average, as is longevity at over 10 hours on skin.

Metropolis is a composition reviving wonderful memories of its late 80s release. I remember flipping though a magazine back then, uncovering one of those perfume strip samples to try the composition out with it ultimately leaving an indelible positive mark on my memory. Alas, I was only a teenager back then with a typical teenager's money problems so I passed on purchasing a bottle with the feeling I would one day regret it. I guess I wasn't the only one to pass, as despite the composition's complete worthiness, it has long since sadly been discontinued, never being the sales magnet Estee Lauder hoped and expected. Only now, over 25 years later did that long-since buried memory emerge compelling me to seek out one of the rare bottles on the aftermarket. Was time playing tricks on me, making me believe I loved what I sniffed all those years ago more than I really did? Now having bought the bottle and spraying the composition on skin for the first time in a quarter century the answer is it lives up to the memory near-completely. I suppose expecting perfection is completely unreasonable, and the composition indeed isn't perfect. For one, it is sweeter than I remember it, but the amber-derived sweetness never gets to be too much, and the ambery sweetness comes out much more strongly on paper than on skin. A positive revelation was the natural smelling peppermint, a facet I didn't remember, instead discovered anew. The pairing of the aromatic lavender and green peppermint really is quite impressive and I am hesitant to think of another composition that does it so well (with few trying it at all). When the florals are added into the mix during the composition's middle, the whole thing comes together brilliantly. Ah memories of the wonderful 80s, where just about every release was a winner and Metropolis yet another to add to the list. Nowadays we have twenty times the amount of new releases yearly and only a tenth as many good ones... The bottom line is the sadly discontinued and extremely difficult to find on the aftermarket Metropolis is just another great example of how a composition should smell, earning it an "excellent" 4 stars out of 5 rating and a strong recommendation if one can get their hands on a bottle or sample.

25th January, 2015

pepelestinker's avatar

Starts off very subtle and minty fresh and green, but quickly evolves into a very dry earthy leather and vetiver, with a dry tobacco feel. I am a leather fanatic, but this just didn't do it for me. The geranium is noticeable and nice, but somehow it alls falls flat on me. More amber would have made all the difference, and it's possible that some of the notes may have altered with age. Too many beauties out there to waste my days with a so so fragrance. :/

27th January, 2012

RicardVonLowen's avatar

This was one favorites back in the eighties, along with Halston Limited, Antaeus, Polo, and of course my all-time favorite: Eau Sauvage. I just received a small spray bottle that I purchased online and I was completely blown away. It smells just as good now as it did then, and I am not just being nostalgic, as the olfactory recollection was not that strong. I get more of a flashback of childhood memories from the smell of crayons, or the smell of a musty window air conditioning unit that takes me back to vacations on the Mexican Riviera, than I do from a vintage cologne. This is totally a review that stands on its own. The scent of Metropolis is so fresh and new after all of these years. Yes, it is green, but the sage is not so pointed as cut grass or citrus leaf. And the middle notes: just a hint of floral, but in a masculine way, perhaps through the use of Hedione (dihydrojasmonate). Finally the leather, so light, like a new lambskin wallet as opposed to a new pair of cowboy boots. One of the many (underrated) masterpieces by Estee Lauder.

01st December, 2010

Harry Drinkwater's avatar

I agree with Connoisseur's review of Metropolis. I love how the leather and green notes complement each other so wonderfully at the top -- slightly medicinal, but that fades after about twenty minutes. Although the leather seems to remain on my skin from top to bottom, it doesn't dominate bombastically; it's subtle, mellow, and dark, always lurking in the background, graciously and selflessly allowing the various other notes to come forth and make their presence felt. A true gem of a fragrance that is, indeed, a rare find. Nothing short of magnificent.

10th August, 2009

scotch7's avatar

It was perfect for me. A mellow blend of spice and musk with a hint of floral. I was devastated when I learned they'd stopped making it. After significant shopping I went with Aramis Tuscany Forte, which was very nice and quite close. Now that's been shelved, and Aramis is a part of Este Lauder. Grr. Wish I could find one or the other in the aftermarkets.

21st January, 2009

Jon_Remy's avatar

It says here that Metropolis is in production, but I've not been able to find it anywhere. If they discontinued it, it is a pity. This was my favorite all time fragrance of the mid to late 80s. It seemed to be a nice herbal fragrance with a hint of green tomato. I remember it having undertones of V8 juice, but I loved it! If anyone knows where to purchase this wonderful fragrance, please let us know here. (But I'm not willing to pay $299 for a bottle, like some sites want--I was looking for Boss Spirit and found it for $300 on the internet and I said to myself forget that, I can just find a new fragrance!). Yes, PLEASE bring back Metropolis if it's been discontinued. By the way, I really like the original Lauder for Men, which is available at my local department store. (Did anyone notice that Donald Trump's fragrance is packaged in the same bottle as Lauder for Men?).

01st January, 2009

• 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left:
    STARTING BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    SEALED METROPOLIS ESTEE LAUDER MEN .37 OZ / 11 ML COLOGNE SPRAY - VERY RARE FIND
    • Time Left: 11 days